PDA

View Full Version : Morning from NZ

Antznz
4th June 2012, 10:06 AM
Morning all. Just thought I'd do the polite thing and follow the forum rules and introduce myself. Just bought a 1990 SWB GQ Y60 TD-42 Safari. Unfortunately for me she has a bit of rust in the rear sills, just failed a warrant because of the drop link and now won't start. making a clicking noise so suspecting stuffed starter motor (although it was -4 over night, so maybe drained batteries)..... Anyway have a good one...Antz

growler2058
4th June 2012, 10:10 AM
Gday mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice

wildgu6
4th June 2012, 10:45 AM
G'day & welcome aboard mate
Great lot here with tons of advice and adventures and experiences,
Hang around, ask away and Join in where ever you feel comfortable.

Enjoy, Cheers Pete

Yappa Tappa Doo

AB
4th June 2012, 10:58 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

Sir Roofy
4th June 2012, 10:58 AM
welcome aboard mate enjoy your stay
mmm -4 aye think id have trouble starting too anyway check your batteries first
chrge them up then put a chaff bag or something over them at nite and see how
that goes,dont forget to take the covering of before youe startup and drive away

aussiemale
4th June 2012, 04:51 PM
G'day mate, welcome to the forum, I'm based in Napier but you sound like you're either in the sth island or the central plateau.

Dhuck
4th June 2012, 06:14 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Antznz
4th June 2012, 10:11 PM
I'm in Canterbury. Been getting a few decent frost lately. Took both batteries out and charged them. They are Century NS70L made August 2009. Roared into life once charged but I'm thinking about getting a couple of new ones as I'm off to the Mckenzie country (really cold place for you Auzzie guys out there) and don't want the hassle of not starting when out in the middle of nowhere

Antznz
4th June 2012, 10:14 PM
Also one other question. The front hubs have auto and lock written on them. Does that mean they will automatically lock into 4WD when I change into it from inside or do you also need to twist them. Silly question but i'm use to the Hilux / cruiser sort of front hubs that you manually lock and also put into 4wd from inside the cab

Granny
5th June 2012, 12:34 AM
Welcome to the forum

A Bad Days Fishing Beats A Good Day At Work!

wildgu6
5th June 2012, 08:19 AM
Also one other question. The front hubs have auto and lock written on them. Does that mean they will automatically lock into 4WD when I change into it from inside or do you also need to twist them. Silly question but i'm use to the Hilux / cruiser sort of front hubs that you manually lock and also put into 4wd from inside the cab

You can put in 4x4 when in auto position but its not locked in, it can slip out or strip the hubs on heavy stuff, twist and lock and your set for anything. A lot of guys actually remove the auto hubs. I lock mine every time I go wheelin, better safe than sorry.

Yappa Tappa Doo

big_fletch
5th June 2012, 11:02 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, always good to have another member aboard

Fletcha

timbar
5th June 2012, 02:10 PM
G'day - Welcome aboard join in when you are ready and have some fun ! plenty to do and see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer !! Bucket loads of usefull information here plenty to read so join in meet the great bunch of guys and girls on our wonderful forum !!

You will not be disapointed !!

ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim

Tank
5th June 2012, 06:35 PM
Welcome aboard, I am in Nelson Lakes and feel for your battery issues, when you get some more try not to get the new calcuim ones we have found that they don't like the cold as much as what the battery guys think they do and when they do go flat you need to send them into the battery guys to charge them

andiamo
5th June 2012, 07:56 PM
Welcom from over the ditch use to throw a old blanket over the bonet to keep the battery warm

Antznz
5th June 2012, 10:42 PM
I've decided to bite the bullet and have gone and got two new century batteries. My mistake with the age of the last ones they were manufactured August 2005 and were only 500cca. I've gone for 660cca (I think) as thats all the budget would allow for. Bugger me they are dear........

Silver
6th June 2012, 01:35 AM
I'd be tempted to put your battery question as a seperate post with a relevant heading in the most relevant mechanical section of the forum in case there are more answers lurking around out there.

Next time you get the click click response to turning the key, check each end of the big leads, both positive and earth and see if they are at all warm. At the battery, at the starter motor, and whereever else they go. Warmth = resistance, and a bit of a clean up can work wonders. Be a bit careful as sometimes they can be #$#@ hot rather than just warm :-)

Clean and tight connections also help the electrical system get the batteries charged, and then keep them there. It may be that your batteries are dead, and if they were made in 2005 they have certainly exceeded the usual use by date by a couple of years.

Antznz
6th June 2012, 12:00 PM
Cheers for that. Will start threads or search for the topics in future.....

Finly Owner
6th June 2012, 10:51 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Antz

Tim

Antznz
6th June 2012, 11:09 PM
Maybe nuts but definitely fanatics

Maxhead
10th June 2012, 09:13 PM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate