PDA

View Full Version : Air flow sensor

lozza47
3rd June 2012, 09:06 PM
Hi all,
help me out here. Have recently removed the gas off my 96 patrol efi and now run on petrol only, where i have removed all the gas giblets off the inlet i now want to just run a POD filter straight onto where the gas giblets came off. but i will have to remove the Air flow sensor off the air box and position it between the Pod and intake, (am i right so far ?????) question: do i need this Air flow senso, can i jump the terminals to fool the CPU ??? or will i need it ?????? and will it matter if the sensor is closer to the inlet (as in: it will be positioned approx 400mm closer than it was originally ????)
Cheers people Lozza

NissanGQ4.2
3rd June 2012, 09:36 PM
Hi Lozza, I have deleted your identical thread that was posted in General Mechanical.

Please take the time to post up an intro about yourself and your rig in the introduction thread, ( which can be found in my signature line ), a lot of members will not reply 2 a question if there has been no intro posted.

Cheers

Todd

lozza47
4th June 2012, 07:57 PM
Hi Todd,
Yep OK, i'm new to this, help me out ere. Where do i find the "Introduction thread" or how do i introduce myself. ??????????? i think i have added myself to the "Map" ????????????????

Regards Lozza

NissanGQ4.2
4th June 2012, 08:17 PM
Hi mate,

Introduction thread can be found here: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?2-Introductions

Just got your PM, I will add you to the map in the next few days

Cheers

Todd

Robo
6th June 2012, 03:34 AM
AFM, engine wont run without it, yep between filter and intake.
Just make sure filter gets cool dry air feed.
Air filter oil can contaminate afm element sensor so go easy with the filter oil.

Cheers

lozza47
6th June 2012, 06:43 PM
Hi Robo,
thanks heaps, yep i found that out (engine wont run without it) Q: does it matter how close the sensor is to the intake manifold ? like, as in, put it where the gas giblets came off ????? on the short bit of rubber hose that was left when i removed all the gas giblets ???????????? my thoughts were to put a POD filter on the end of the sensor tube bit ???????????? so the sensor is in between the POD and manifold etc ???????????

Regards LOZ IF'S NOT A NISSAN IT SHOULDNT BE ON THE ROAD

Robo
8th June 2012, 10:02 PM
Good idea to keep AFM as far from engine radiant heat as possible.
so out near where air box was original located.
air filter + short adpt pipe + AFM + longer pipe to throttle body = intake manifold.

hows that sound.

lozza47
10th June 2012, 04:39 PM
Okie dokie, i get the jist, thanks heaps for the help, i think i'll put it back where it was and purchase a flexible tube to connect from sensor to intake.

Thanks Robo

Robo
10th June 2012, 07:32 PM
I noticed on ebay they had a lot of adaptors for afm's ,filter etc.
silicon elbows, various angles and sizes available and straight pipe is also a affective way of joining things up.
not to mention less turbulence created = better flow = better response.
some yrs back I simply added a down pipe fitting to airbox side wall of a lancer the missus owned, to take advantage of cold air on this particular area and recon engine gained 10% increase in response and torque.
so careful planning what you do can have a large affect on the outcome if ya follow my point.
Hope that helps, good luck with it.
Cheers

lozza47
15th June 2012, 06:52 AM
Hi ROBO<
yep done that, found a 90 degree downpipe fitting and just used the original gas rubber tube and connected it all up, back to normal. Just gotta get it over to the mechanics now and get it tuned to petrol only, and of course then theres the new plugs and get the injectors done, you know how it is, as the old "saying" goes: "IF ITS GOT TITS OR WHEELS ITS TROUBLE"
Thanks for your help ROBO
REgards LOz

Robo
18th June 2012, 01:29 PM
I get your point.
I used to work in spare parts yrs ago and had a opinion cars are troublesome, But some way more than others.
Another reason I drive a Nissan.
But have to say, I'm still a sucker for the Girls all the same. lol