PDA

View Full Version : Fog lights

dirtaddict
3rd June 2012, 08:20 PM
Whats the go with fog lights , should they be yellow ? i have never used them but driving home last night from bathurst to sydney i wish i had them , seems any white light is useless no matter how difused it is from what could tell .

Lieney
3rd June 2012, 08:30 PM
Preferrably, you want them to shine under the fog, hence most cars have them mounted nice and low.
Low mounted lights in a 4x4 aren't real good for approach angle.
As far as color goes, I would assume yellow would not reflect as much as white / clear.
Low beam is the go, and drive carefully.

teno45
3rd June 2012, 10:13 PM
I remember reading a report a while ago about fog lights. Cant remember where or who, but the conclusion of the report was that it was more about the angle and height of the light, rather than the colour. As Lieney say, as low as possible, and aimed down, as to not shine up, and reflect back into the drivers eyes.

Havent had mine on long, and whilst I havent had a huge "white out" type fog yet this year, in the little bits we have had (visibility reduced to maybe 5-7m), they do seem to help get those few extra meters visibility.

I have mine (mounted in an ARB Deluxe bar), aimed a little lower than my low beams, and angle out to the side of the road.

Clunk
3rd June 2012, 10:24 PM
Fog lights down real low is the way to go........ When I was in the UK we Used to turn the main beams off as well just so the dogs could penetrate better and you don't get that scary white out effect either......... Saw a few cars with yellow dogs, never had them meself but they were supposed to help see better

Taps a lot!!!!!!

the evil twin
5th June 2012, 05:30 PM
What Clunk said... white is the best colour and get them mounted as low as you can, in really bad fog turn the low beam headlights off (Foggies have to be switched seperate by law) leave the clearance lights on of course.

Yellow is a hangover from the 'olden days" when they used yellow filters as the lights were invariably too high and reflected back off the fog and yellow filters was teh best compromise.

Tank
5th June 2012, 06:30 PM
What has already been said down low and the more down angle the better. I get a lot of Fog over here in the winter and the trick is just to use low beam and take your time. If you use high beam or spots all it dose is reflect back of the water droplets that are in the fog and create a wall of white glare

Robo
6th June 2012, 03:26 AM
Low as possible is the go, fog tends to hover just off the ground.
if you can go yellow ish around 3000k is the idea.

Reason, white light has all the colours of the light spectrum to be split and reflected by the water particals in the air.
and this is the reason yellow is the scientific choice for fog lights it splits less so penetrates further.

My Dad has masters degrees in physics chemistry and maths and he explained it to me this way some yrs back, and with his degrees I accept it without question.

cheers

Finly Owner
6th June 2012, 11:04 PM
Well, now I set the scales swinging the other way. Yes low white light might be good, BUT, the lower the light the easier it is broken.

Yellow mid mounted, 3",5" 0r 7" FOG lights are a great twin purpose light. Not only for foggy, misty rainy conditions, but also in dust tracks. They really come into there own reducing reflection when following a vehicle on dusty track at night. Stay with 55 watt bulbs and they will not be classed as a high beam light.

And legally, a white fog light could be deemed as a driving light, where as there is no argument against a yellow fog light. Spotlights must dip, fog do not have to as they should be no bigger than 55watt, and can be used with low beam headlights.

Tim

Robo
8th June 2012, 09:30 PM
Well, now I set the scales swinging the other way. Yes low white light might be good, BUT, the lower the light the easier it is broken.

Yellow mid mounted, 3",5" 0r 7" FOG lights are a great twin purpose light. Not only for foggy, misty rainy conditions, but also in dust tracks. They really come into there own reducing reflection when following a vehicle on dusty track at night. Stay with 55 watt bulbs and they will not be classed as a high beam light.

And legally, a white fog light could be deemed as a driving light, where as there is no argument against a yellow fog light. Spotlights must dip, fog do not have to as they should be no bigger than 55watt, and can be used with low beam headlights.

Tim

Makes sense to me, x2

dirtaddict
11th June 2012, 08:17 AM
wow some pretty diverse opinions there thanks guys , i think i`l try some coloured lenses mounted on the bumber area of the bar , somthing like a hella 160 size light should be enough

teno45
11th June 2012, 02:18 PM
As the law put its. (http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/maintop/view/inforce/subordleg+522+2007+cd+0+N) Another piece of info worth mentioning, headlights must only show white light.

Division 12 Fog lights

114 Front fog lights

(1) A pair of front fog lights may be fitted to a motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels.

(2) A pair of front fog lights, or a single front fog light, may be fitted to a motor bike or trike.

(3) A pair of front fog lights fitted to a motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels must have the centre of each light not over 400 millimetres from the nearer side of the vehicle unless the centres of the lights are at least 600 millimetres apart.

(4) If the top of the front fog light is higher than the top of any low-beam headlight on the vehicle, the centre of the fog light must not be higher than the centre of the low-beam headlight.

(5) A front fog light must:

(a) when on:

(i) project white or yellow light in front of the vehicle, and

(ii) be a low-beam light, and

(b) be able to be operated independently of any headlight, and

(c) be fitted so the light from it does not reflect off the vehicle into the driver’s eyes.

low-beam, in relation to a headlight or front fog light fitted to a vehicle, means that the light is built or adjusted so that, when the vehicle is standing on level ground, the top of the main beam of light projected is:

(a) not higher than the centre of the headlight or fog light, when measured at a point 8 metres in front of the vehicle, and

(b) not more than one metre higher than the level on which the vehicle is standing, when measured at a point 25 metres in front of the vehicle.

Also some other good information on that page, I usually like to check the legalities myself rather than just going on what someone else tells me.

Teno.

Finly Owner
12th June 2012, 11:23 PM
As the law put its. (http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/maintop/view/inforce/subordleg+522+2007+cd+0+N) Another piece of info worth mentioning, headlights must only show white light.

Also some other good information on that page, I usually like to check the legalities myself rather than just going on what someone else tells me.

Teno.
I usually try to remember what I have researched, before offerring advice!

Tim

dirtaddict
13th June 2012, 04:44 PM
Bugger the law , i`l put em where i want , bikies ride with no mufflers and nobody says anything , i bet 99 % of cops wouldn`t know whats what with regards to lighting on vehicles .

Finly Owner
13th June 2012, 10:11 PM
Bugger the law , i`l put em where i want , bikies ride with no mufflers and nobody says anything , i bet 99 % of cops wouldn`t know whats what with regards to lighting on vehicles .
Don't bet on it! They are getting smarter. They have to know what is on their patrol car is legal, for instances just like this:

Driving down road a bit tired, sore eyes, last load on tray. Car coming towards me, looks like high beam and yellow spotties, So I flash it with my high beam.
Car turns around and follows me a little while then on comethe pretty red & blue lights.

Any way fined for my defective vehicle because I thought the car coming toward me was being an imbosile, but he was legal as the road did have foggy patches.

Cops are taught what is legal and not. You then have to get a defective vehicle paased as roadworthy. Why not try to look like you are legal and save yourself the hassle.

My thoughts only.

Tim

Robo
15th June 2012, 10:27 PM
You will always get an imbosiles with red and blue lights no matter how hard ya try.
I've been fined for blinker not flashing fast enough wtf, lmao.

But agree looking standard, legal, should go a long way.