PDA

View Full Version : Do you like your job?

Brendan56
2nd June 2012, 06:27 PM
As the title says, do you like your job?
I know nobody wants to go to work every day, and you have the occasional real bad day.
But are people here happy with their career choices?
I'm a water blaster operator out at a zinc refinery, and i've only been there for a year, and i'll tell you what, I'm bloody sick of it, 4:30 start tomorrow morning, 6:30 finish, because they can't organise correctly, On the job hunt!
Cheers,
Brendan.

macca86
2nd June 2012, 06:36 PM
I enjoy being a boilermaker but really dislike plastic fabrication and welding that I do now I shall be job hunting after my wedding this month

Brendan56
2nd June 2012, 06:39 PM
I've started 2 apprenticeships now, mechanic, and cabinetmaker, but i left mechanic when i was 16, cause i'm an idiot. and i tried cabinetmaking, disliked the work, and found out how much the tradies were getting (18 an hour) and left that. Gah.

nissannewby
2nd June 2012, 06:41 PM
Yeah im a diesel fitter it pays the bills and is quite interesting work at times and working in the mines the money is quite good.

macca86
2nd June 2012, 06:42 PM
wow I got more than that as a mature apprentice in brisbane 28 to 30 is the going rate for a boilermaker in town heaps more out bush give it a try I see you're up in townsville Try pacific coast engineering thay are always looking for blokes and may do mature apprenticeships
3rd time lucky

Brendan56
2nd June 2012, 06:48 PM
I'm doubting anybody would take me on as an apprentice after 2 haha, and its also that i'm only 20 and a half so i can get mature age yet :/

macca86
2nd June 2012, 06:54 PM
21 you can that's when I started mine. find something you like and stick it out also check what the wages are too! a mate did the same thing then complained about it and did nothing about it. best of luck out there mate also if you're fit and that try the army up there for apprenticeships

Brendan56
2nd June 2012, 07:00 PM
Might have to stick this job out for the rest of the year (21 in december) , and try find someone that will take me on next year in the meantime. Might do a couple saturdays work experience to see if i see if i like it though.

GreenGQ
2nd June 2012, 07:03 PM
I drive a road-train, 4 days, 4 nights, 4 off, love the roster, like the work.

2TROLLFAM
2nd June 2012, 07:13 PM
I've done banking, real estate & now admin in a car dealership - actually enjoy going to work even for the meager wage I earn.

Brad is a boilermaker - wouldn't say he likes it but it's a job, pays the bills & he runs the shed at his work making the huge ass buckets (body's) for the mine dump trucks

aussiemale
2nd June 2012, 07:22 PM
Was a soldier..let me tell you that was the BEST job ever..where else can a bloke be a kid and break things, make things go bang, drink professionally and on top of it all get paid money for it.
Now running a storage facility (has nothing to do with the fact that both my spots in my double garage has no more room) to fill in my days and find that pretty sweet as I'm not at home pisssssing off the wife

growler2058
2nd June 2012, 07:26 PM
I really really love my job when I'm on a rare day off or on a months annual leave in Thailand ;-)

Tapp tillya Crap

Brendan56
2nd June 2012, 07:35 PM
I've done banking, real estate & now admin in a car dealership - actually enjoy going to work even for the meager wage I earn.

Brad is a boilermaker - wouldn't say he likes it but it's a job, pays the bills & he runs the shed at his work making the huge ass buckets (body's) for the mine dump trucks

My old man is a copper down in ippy. so if you've had any camera fines i'll rev him for ya ;)

2TROLLFAM
2nd June 2012, 07:37 PM
God damm - I got a speeding fine a few weeks back. It's on SPER now so have to pay it LMFAO

megatexture
2nd June 2012, 08:09 PM
im a renderer/texture coater and its a pig of a job. i run my own buisness, i find as long as i have a group of guys that get along and are happy working the,days go prity well. im happy with doing this job atm and hope i dont get tired of it as it will be hard starting a new skill/ job from scratch

got a fine today also ...

luxo barge
2nd June 2012, 08:48 PM
I love my job, hate the wkrs I work for.

Work at a turf farm, as a truck driver delivering using a bobcat with forks. When not doing deliveries, i'm on the 500cc quad bike, down to the tractor with stero and air con, and i mow, for an hour or two, then go home. I also get to do slashing, and use other implements on the tractors, some fabrication and mecanical work. I am actually in 4wd most days, in the rodeo, or suby farm hack ute, and also do drain and track work in the bobcat. My work varies a lot and i could be doing any number of things any day, but i loe the truck driving and hooing on the quad or farm ute in the mud.

Clunk
2nd June 2012, 09:10 PM
Im an office grunt who fixes up everyones f ups and i really really really love my job

healy
2nd June 2012, 09:59 PM
im a scaffolder sick pay early days rdo's cant wait to get back to work when the lung recovers

45/70
3rd June 2012, 12:16 PM
I dont mind my job, but my boss is a c@#t.

LittleJohn
3rd June 2012, 02:14 PM
Its hard being a jiggollo,
i get sick of my belly jiggoloing on every bump i hit whilst
driving the jiggollomobiletruckanous.
No amount of oval artificial blue erectile capsules that can fix this affliction that i suffer from,
ive tried.

So driving a truck it is then !
bounce bounce bounce !

Richo460
3rd June 2012, 02:58 PM
yeah i don't mind my job, sometimes its great other times its crap. I am also a boilermaker/rigger and somehow went from working in a small workshop in brisbane to being a maintenance supervisor in a gold mine in egypt, f*#k knows how that happened. Coin is great, tax man loves me and i only get home 6 times a year. I like learning the ins and outs of crushers and mills and running a crew of 30 non english speaking arabs is interesting to say the least. I'm 28 so plenty of time for a career change, i'm looking to be unemployed, that would be a sweet job! If i didn't keep buying toys i would have had the house paid off by now, oh well, i think i'll buy a boat next. Maybe that will fill the big empty spot in life, hahahahahahaha. sorry for the rambling but its 6:30 am and i just finished my 28th straight 12hr night shift and i'm going a little loopy. That part of the job sucks balls. Hopefully get a day off soon!

Stropp
3rd June 2012, 10:38 PM
Well I work for myself, own a heating and cooling shop in midland, I like it better than the mines, mind you the money in the mines was great, I could buy anything anytime no problem that's the downside of working for yourself

Blacklotusdog
3rd June 2012, 11:30 PM
I work as a metallurgist at Olympic Dam, interesting and challenging work, pays well too. I enjoy it, get to use a mix of theoretical Chemistry and Physics knowledge and practical troubleshooting.

Richo460
4th June 2012, 08:11 AM
I am thinking about doing metallurgy, beats being a bucket head. 2 bokes i work with both did time at OD.