PDA

View Full Version : After service check your rigs!!

oncedisturbed
2nd June 2012, 11:26 AM
As the title suggests, make sure you really inspect your rig after any service has been done by a mechanic.

This is something I generally don't do unless I get the "gut feeling" that something is not quite right.

Long story short, I had the 80k service done at the end of March, all seemed fine. Last night, oil light started an intermittant blink on the way home from work, checked it this morning and what do I find, NO OIL registering at all on the dipstick, nadda zip. Rig has done 5500kms since last service, no leaks, spray back, nil oil / water mix etc.

Rang Nissan to be told that due to a long weekend, the entire service centre is shut down and won't be back until Tuesday. WTF!!!!

Raced down to AutoOne to get oil, new filter etc with wifes car causing her to be late to an appointment (went over well) so I do the whole oil change again.

Will let tou know how much oil is ACTUALLY in the sump once done.

Stropp
2nd June 2012, 11:57 AM
bugger thats not good, always pays to check, i can recall one time i picked the car up from a service and it was blowing smoke like crazy, they topped the oil up but forgot to drain the old oil first!!!

Richo460
2nd June 2012, 12:03 PM
i don't take my car to mechanics, once they tried to tell me my car needed new tires, and it already had new ones on there. Lots of dodgy pricks around. Too many bad experiences.

NissanGQ4.2
2nd June 2012, 12:36 PM
Whats a service???? *LMAO*

Hope you send them the bill for the oil and your labor.

Same goes for anyone that claims insurance on a roll over that isn't written off, make sure water, oils etc have been checked. As I found out after a claim many many years ago that these things aren't checked unless requested. Well not from my ex insurance company anyway.

Bigrig
2nd June 2012, 12:43 PM
That sucks ... what did it end up taking??

oncedisturbed
2nd June 2012, 01:13 PM
Just finished doing the oil change.

It had a rats public hair under 2L in it after it was drained including filter. Replaced with penrite full synthetic but due to me having 3 left and slipped it was a smidge over 6.7L was put back in with a new ryco filter.

So much for a gucci top of range wizz bang platinum nissan stealership service.

Service manager is gonna receive a service of his own on Tuesday.

big_fletch
2nd June 2012, 03:15 PM
Not Good mate, make sure they reimburse you for the oil and filter as well!!

MQ MAD
3rd June 2012, 11:24 AM
As the title suggests, make sure you really inspect your rig after any service has been done by a mechanic.

This is something I generally don't do unless I get the "gut feeling" that something is not quite right.

Long story short, I had the 80k service done at the end of March, all seemed fine. Last night, oil light started an intermittant blink on the way home from work, checked it this morning and what do I find, NO OIL registering at all on the dipstick, nadda zip. Rig has done 5500kms since last service, no leaks, spray back, nil oil / water mix etc.

Rang Nissan to be told that due to a long weekend, the entire service centre is shut down and won't be back until Tuesday. WTF!!!!

Raced down to AutoOne to get oil, new filter etc with wifes car causing her to be late to an appointment (went over well) so I do the whole oil change again.

Will let tou know how much oil is ACTUALLY in the sump once done.

So you go 5500Ks without not once checking your oil ???
Every week if goin town and back,or everytime i go any distance

Ive noticed every car that gets a pro service, its usually whatever the book says it needs it gets
Throw the filter on, tip in the required oil and out the door
Nothin gets started ,and rechecked
Inlaws car had 2 litres more auto fluid,and well over 1 litre more engine oil

johno90
3rd June 2012, 12:13 PM
If your worried about dodgy services, ill service it for you :)

wildgu6
3rd June 2012, 01:41 PM
Yep always pays to check these days, too many dodgies around. Had a V8 VL going back before got the Trol, it had a minor oil leak, lost about 1/2 lt per month so decided to get it fixed before shooting off to Geelong, all good until stopped for fuel and noticed oil dripping under the beast, well that trip to Geelong cost me 7 ltrs of oil and the mechanic an ear full upon return. Took car back and watched him fix it again then the cheeky b@$7&9d had the gawl to hit me up for labor cost HAHAHA I don't bloody think so. So now always give the Trol a look over once works been done.
Hope you get right up him on tues.

Yappa Tappa Doo

nissannewby
3rd June 2012, 02:12 PM
Yeah always check. I do all the work on our 3 patrols myself and still check. Before any big trip or weekend away all levels are inspected and adjusted if necessary. This could happen a few times before each 5000k service. As its been stated these days if the book says 7L they put 7L in and dont check it I have had nissan dealers and other reputable parts suppliers tell me my 99 GQ does not exist yet i have one sitting here in front of me.

aussiemale
3rd June 2012, 02:20 PM
know what you mean newby, my mq must be worth a fortune according to RIPCO, was a one of a kind one off build and parts for it don't exist even though it does in the manual LOL

oncedisturbed
4th June 2012, 07:23 AM
So you go 5500Ks without not once checking your oil ???
Every week if goin town and back,or everytime i go any distance

Normally I check every 2-3 weeks but have been pretty hectic through work and home last few weeks and it slipped the memory. I don't usually check directly after it has been serviced by a mechanic, I guess I am a bit too trusting in that respect but after this I will be a bit more diligent. It runs out of warranty in August so I will be doing the services myself from then on but due to it being a novated vehicle, I have to play things by the book until then :(

Sir Roofy
4th June 2012, 10:20 AM
Normally I check every 2-3 weeks but have been pretty hectic through work and home last few weeks and it slipped the memory. I don't usually check directly after it has been serviced by a mechanic, I guess I am a bit too trusting in that respect but after this I will be a bit more diligent. It runs out of warranty in August so I will be doing the services myself from then on but due to it being a novated vehicle, I have to play things by the book until then :(

pin note to eyebrows CHECK OIL IN TROL EVERY COUPLE OF DAYS bet you dont forget dinner lol

Sir Roofy
4th June 2012, 10:42 AM
pin note to eyebrows CHECK OIL IN TROL EVERY COUPLE OF DAYS bet you dont forget dinner lol

at what cost was this mistake charged ? it could have been triple the cost if not picked up,you where lucky mate

megatexture
4th June 2012, 10:44 AM
it’s not just oils and general mechanical they f#$k up.
i had driven a creek crossing a while back and made it home with no worries 4 hrs later that day went to drive somewhere and the car was idol like crap and had no power to even get down the street .
upon inspection of the car i had found 2cm of water in the filter housing and the filter was soaked i plucked out the glow plugs and turned it over with Metho, cleaned out the intake pipes/intercooler dumped the oil and replaced it all new with new filters and cleaned Maf. upon inspecting the snorkel and intake the snorkel was all sweet and sealed well so i turned to the filter box and found that the foam seal on the top had obviously fallen out and put back in place by a child as this is how they put it back in .......

i went to clark rubber and bought a new bit of foam and glued it in so it cant happen again but i dont go to nissan anymore.

Sir Roofy
4th June 2012, 10:52 AM
it’s not just oils and general mechanical they f#$k up.
i had driven a creek crossing a while back and made it home with no worries 4 hrs later that day went to drive somewhere and the car was idol like crap and had no power to even get down the street .
upon inspection of the car i had found 2cm of water in the filter housing and the filter was soaked i plucked out the glow plugs and turned it over with Metho, cleaned out the intake pipes/intercooler dumped the oil and replaced it all new with new filters and cleaned Maf. upon inspecting the snorkel and intake the snorkel was all sweet and sealed well so i turned to the filter box and found that the foam seal on the top had obviously fallen out and put back in place by a child as this is how they put it back in .......

i went to clark rubber and bought a new bit of foam and glued it in so it cant happen again but i dont go to nissan anymore.

an other reason i try to aviod service centres

MQ MAD
4th June 2012, 07:05 PM
an other reason i try to aviod service centres
There are some ,who,unfortunately have no or minimal choice
As i mentioned before re the outlaws cars,she is in her mid 70s , and id have a bit more grey matter between my ears to send a lady of that age out with a car with a leaking radiator ....
Yep her last service all fluids were over full,(need a degree to read a dipstick nowadays) ,and the radiator was leaking pritty bad
Then the theiving crooks wanted to charge her $500 for the rad plus labour

$140 delivered to me , under 2 hours to do it