PDA

View Full Version : Loss of coolant fromt GU ST.

VK2PATROL
2nd June 2012, 09:58 AM
Took my new (new to me) GU 2.8 ST diesel for a 2200km round trip run last weekend to get the feel of it. 800km into the trip I noticed the temperature start to rise. Investigation revealed loss of coolant.
When I bought the GU I had it serviced and as part of the work it had the radiator hoses replaced. The car yard used after market radiator hoses and apparently the bottom hose was sitting very close to the pulley of the A/C compressor. When I turned the air conditioner on the clutch moved the pulley forward and rubbed a small pin hole in the bottom hose.
Luckily I noticed it just as the temp started to rise and prevented any major damage to the engine. As it was 6pm on Friday evening, there was not much I could do to source spares, so rang a mechanic in the closest town, Hay (Country NSW), and he came out and towed me to his work shop, dropped us at a motel, found a replacement hose first thing the next morning (Still not genuine), tied the hose forward with some cable ties, and we were on our way again.
But it was a nice drive, very comfortable, only 2 wheel drive stuff this weekend, will have it out in the big paddock in a week or two, so will see what it's really like then.

wildgu6
2nd June 2012, 10:29 AM
Good thing you found the prob early, trust me they are pricey to rebuild or replace lol. Hay plains not a good place for a breakdown either, country folk are usually pretty hospitable and sounds like your mech was no exception. Got 98 GU 2.8Ti ST myself and if you haven't hit the bush yet you will love it, mines pretty standard and haven't come across anything yet that it has not conquered to my capabilities, and i love a challenge. You will love it mate. Good luck and safe treckn

Yappa Tappa Doo

alexx
9th July 2012, 12:22 AM
You must be very lucky. Engine overhaul is too costly. Good you watch your gauge.