PDA

View Full Version : 2.8TD GQs

Brendan56
1st June 2012, 09:14 PM
Why are there so many of them well priced on carsales! Tempting my weak will, is there anything seriously wrong with them? haha. you can get such a nice GQ II in good nick as a 2.8td for around 8-9k. How awesome :P

Cheers, Brendan.

97_gq_lwb
1st June 2012, 09:32 PM
They have a few common faults cracked heads and balancer coming off but i thought they were a great little motor otherwise.

Brendan56
1st June 2012, 09:47 PM
cracked head sounds like a scary common fault :p

97_gq_lwb
1st June 2012, 11:43 PM
Sounds scary but i think it might have more to do with either egr block off or poor cooling system maintenance.

GQ snail
2nd June 2012, 09:16 AM
Hay brendan.

I own a 2.8 gq, picked it up about 10 months ago, had 170,000 on clock. Best buy ever, no problems seen at all. Great truck, and all the power I want. It drags my trailer around without missing a beat.

buzzbro
12th July 2012, 11:47 AM
the good things about the GQ 2.8's is they are real aesy to extract extra power from I had a mate who whacked on a straight through larger exhaust and put it on a dyno with a pyrometer in the exhaust cranked the fuel up to the correct temperature and gained 30% for about $400 un fortunately the Y61's aren't that simple

White Elephant
12th July 2012, 07:38 PM
I've had a 2.8 for nearly 10 years, love it. Bought it with 110xxxkms on the clock, have driven 3/4 around australia in her and she never skipped a beat. Had to rebuild it at 350xxxkms because the water pump let go on the way home from work one day, and I cooked her. If I had have been paying more attention, I reckon she'd still be going n the original motor!

noyakfat
8th August 2012, 09:47 AM
Hi Brendan,
I drive a Nov '97 2.8TD that I bought in 2006 with 130,000km on the clock. I am only home for 3 weeks out of every 6, so it doesn't get a lot of use. It's only just ticked over the 200,000km mark. I enjoyed trouble free driving until one day when I was interstate working I received a call from my wife that the car had "conked out, wouldn't start and had to be towed". Turned out that the injector pump was had it. A couple of weeks later the starter motor had major issues and needed a rebuild. It was an expensive couple of months. However, those are the only issues I've had with an otherwise excellent truck.

rkinsey
8th August 2012, 10:37 AM
I bought my 97 GQII 2.8TD with a cracked head for $6000.00. Spent $4000.00 replacing the head, water pump, radiator, hoses, and various other seals and bolts that were missing or needed replacing. took just over two months to complete but came out with a great vehicle.

I have since replaced the Starter Motor and put a head kit through it due to the Timing belt tensioner bearing letting go (Another $1800.00) I am planning a turbo rebuild along with a snorkel and 3" exhaust as well as a suspension refresh which will cost around the $3500.00 mark all up.

After all of that is done I will have a great vehicle to take the family on trips around OZ and will tow a camper trailer without any problems at all. I dont plan on taking it extreme offroad but it will be capable to travel most of what this country has to offer.

The car drives very well now (for its age) and I dont find that I need any more power than she already has for what I want to do. I get about 14Lt/100Km when towing a fully loaded trailer and family with a weeks worth of camping gear. Put this baby in 4WD low and it'll go just about anywhere.

Cheers,

Rob

Winnie
8th August 2012, 10:42 AM
I took one for a test drive last week. Doesn't go as hard as my TB42E but it wasn't as slow as I thought it would be.