PDA

View Full Version : Autron gauges

MEGOMONSTER
31st May 2012, 06:21 PM
Just wondering if anyone has used or is using Autron gauges and their thoughts on their products, as I am in the market for new boost/pyro gauge and the dual battery volts gauge.

https://autron.evolveshop.com.au/epages/autron.sf/en_AU/?ObjectPath=/Shops/5353109392756724/Products/AI-052.27.091014.1

https://autron.evolveshop.com.au/epages/autron.sf/en_AU/?ObjectPath=/Shops/5353109392756724/Products/AI-052.27.010105.5

NissanGQ4.2
31st May 2012, 06:28 PM
Read these threads:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?6946-Autron-pyro-boost-gauge-package-questions&highlight=autron+gauges

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?11043-What-guages-do-you-guys-use

If you do a search on Autron gauges you will find a few more threads on this topic.

Cheers

Todd

scotty83
31st May 2012, 06:29 PM
Check out this existing thread..

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?6946-Autron-pyro-boost-gauge-package-questions&p=165923#post165923

I have one and the only real issue is that it is a little bright even when dimmed. As you will read in the thread above some people have fitted a second dimmer to bring it down further. Keep in mind i run my dash at fully dimmed on the nissan dimmer.

BillsGU
31st May 2012, 08:49 PM
I installed a set today (Boost/EGT and Dual battery) - both with ammeters. The battery gauge works well but I am having a problem with the Boost/EGT. Spent all day installing them so I wil have a fresh look tomorrow. The sure do look the part (in the pillar pod). I'll let you know what happens.

BillsGU
1st June 2012, 01:15 PM
After a good nights sleep and a fresh look - the problem went away! All is now good and the gauges look and work great. I went with the extra current display in each gauge so that I can monitor what is happening in each battery. The installation was not difficult - but very time consuming. It took me a full day to install it all (not counting drilling and painting the pillar pod, which I did previously). It would be interesting to see what an auto elec would charge to install a set (anyone have an idea?).

MEGOMONSTER
20th August 2012, 03:57 PM
Finally pulled my finger out and ordered my Autron EGT/Boost gauge and dual battery gauge with pillar pod.
Close to a grand to supply and fit. With an extra dimmer switch for the gauges.
At least now, well once fitted, I can keep on eye in things or at least know what it's doing.

MEGOMONSTER
10th September 2012, 09:26 PM
Booked in for Monday. Can't wait.

BillsGU
11th September 2012, 12:01 PM
Booked in for Monday. Can't wait.

What did it cost to fit? Just wondering because it is a lengthy process.

Steveo_the_Devo
11th September 2012, 03:01 PM
Do you have the details on the dimmer that you used? I'm keen to add another to my gauges

MEGOMONSTER
11th September 2012, 03:18 PM
What did it cost to fit? Just wondering because it is a lengthy process.

Close to a grand fitted, but I did save a few hundred by having a Taipan exhaust with a sensor point in exhaust already so they just screw it in.

MEGOMONSTER
11th September 2012, 03:20 PM
Do you have the details on the dimmer that you used? I'm keen to add another to my gauges

I just went to the wreckers and got the same dimmer switch that's in a Patrol already, 40 bucks. Better then $240 from Nissan.

MEGOMONSTER
14th September 2012, 06:53 PM
Had a phone call this afternoon from the guys fitting my gauges. That they have two fitters not coming in on Monday and will not be able to do it and I will need to re- schedule.
Pissed off but I'll get over it.

Tapperty tap 1000 taps for me.

MEGOMONSTER
19th September 2012, 06:50 PM
Ok, has been re-booked for this Friday and they are giving me a loan car for the stuff around.

Sent from the secret chambers of our secret society, on a secret iPhone, with a secret pin code and eye retina scanning from a secret peep hole, just don't tell anyone OK, cos it's secret........

MEGOMONSTER
20th September 2012, 05:46 PM
Dropped the car off this afternoon, for pick up tomorrow afternoon, can't wait to see them

Sent from the secret chambers of our secret society, on a secret iPhone, with a secret pin code and eye retina scanning from a secret peep hole, just don't tell anyone OK, cos it's secret........

threedogs
20th September 2012, 08:29 PM
At least you got a loaner, love the horn bit too

MEGOMONSTER
21st September 2012, 07:15 PM
Ok boys, gauges are in and look great.
I am very impressed with them. They really do stand out. Only problem I have with pillar pod gauge angle, as I am very tall (194cm), the dual battery gauge is oh so slightly obscured but I guess I'm being really picky about cos I can still read the dial.
Daytime
Night time.

Winnie
21st September 2012, 07:24 PM
Those dual gauges are cool, dual battery one is a great idea. Looks the goods Mick!

MEGOMONSTER
21st September 2012, 08:18 PM
So what should I be seeing on the gauges or really what shouldn't I be seeing in the gauges.

BillsGU
22nd September 2012, 10:36 AM
Ok boys, gauges are in and look great.
I am very impressed with them. They really do stand out. Only problem I have with pillar pod gauge angle, as I am very tall (194cm), the dual battery gauge is oh so slightly obscured but I guess I'm being really picky about cos I can still read the dial.

You could try to insert a ring under the front of the dual volt meter to bring it slightly forward. You could also file an angle on this ring to face the gauge slightly upward. You may see it better then. (Cut the ring from a bit of 50mm plastic pipe and spray it the same colour as the pod).

The two voltmeters should always read around the 14V mark (over 14V and your battery could be over charging and below about 13.5V and your battery is under charging). The boost gauge should read between 5 to 10 psi while cruising on the flat at about 100 kph. It should reduce when the power decreases (going downhill) and go up when you put the foot down. It should not get above about 18 psi as the over boost controller will cut in anyway. The EGT is much the same. It increases as the power (and the load) increases and decreases as the power requirement reduces. You should not let it get above around 650 for any extended time.

MEGOMONSTER
22nd September 2012, 12:29 PM
Sweet cheers Bill
Exactly as you said, seats on bout 10 psi at 100
Couldn't get it over 15 last night and got to 500 degrees at 140 full acceleration

BillsGU
22nd September 2012, 01:33 PM
Exactly as you said, seats on bout 10 psi at 100
Couldn't get it over 15 last night and got to 500 degrees at 140 full acceleration

You won't get it over that pressure as you will go into limp home mode. Have you set up your Dawes valve yet?

The temp will climb if you are going up a long hill - for sure if you are towing.

MEGOMONSTER
22nd September 2012, 09:28 PM
You won't get it over that pressure as you will go into limp home mode. Have you set up your Dawes valve yet?

The temp will climb if you are going up a long hill - for sure if you are towing.

I have not fitted Dawes valve. I have now had 3- 4x4 diesel mechanics say the GU8 does not require this fitted.

BillsGU
22nd September 2012, 10:14 PM
I have not fitted Dawes valve. I have now had 3- 4x4 diesel mechanics say the GU8 does not require this fitted.

As mine is not a GU8, I don't know. I do know that before I fitted the Dawes valve I had pathetic boost that was all over the place and my EGT went through the roof. Now my boost is constant and my EGT is low. Also, the Patrol now runs SOOOO well and on a recent trip to Sydney (YUK!) the fuel consumption was 9.5 km/l (10.5l/100km). It has never done that before.

Over the next couple of weeks keep an eye on your EGT and boost and see how the GU8 performs.

MEGOMONSTER
22nd September 2012, 10:33 PM
As mine is not a GU8, I don't know. I do know that before I fitted the Dawes valve I had pathetic boost that was all over the place and my EGT went through the roof. Now my boost is constant and my EGT is low. Also, the Patrol now runs SOOOO well and on a recent trip to Sydney (YUK!) the fuel consumption was 9.5 km/l (10.5l/100km). It has never done that before.

Over the next couple of weeks keep an eye on your EGT and boost and see how the GU8 performs.

I should have a trip to Yarrawonga soon, so the hills on the Hume will be a good test, boat should be in tow aswell

Steveo_the_Devo
22nd September 2012, 11:57 PM
You can program the Autron gauge alarms to go off at a particular boost pressure. Apparently the new EGT guage has a variable alarm setting too. I would set it to 600 if you have that option.

With standard exhaust my EGTs will easily crank over 600deg when towing up hills. It's a good reminder that I'm never in that much of a hurry that I want to destroy an engine. I generally back off a bit around 550. CRDs tend to run a bit hotter than the DIs so don't be too worried when you see the guys with NADS & larger exhausts quoting much lower temps.

megatexture
23rd September 2012, 12:17 AM
id be setting it around 500-550, 600s would be what your trying to avoid i would want to know when temps are getting high not when they are high

BillsGU
23rd September 2012, 12:08 PM
Below 600 is too low. If you are towing it would be going off all the time and drive you crazy. I'm not an expert - but everything I have read says that the engine will be OK until you get near 700 and keep it there for a time (no one says how long that "time" is though). At and above this temp things start to go wrong. If anybody has a reference to say that this is not the case I would be happy to read it. I have set mine to 650 and now with the mods done it has not alarmed yet. Setting alarms too low is equivalent to "the boy that cried wolf". They go off that often you become immune.

Steveo_the_Devo
23rd September 2012, 03:19 PM
I have to agree with BillsGU - if mine was set at 500 it would be going off when overtaking on the freeway!

Still, it does make you wonder how high is too high and how long is too long. The autron guages ship with the alarm set at 700.

MEGOMONSTER
23rd September 2012, 07:20 PM
So do you think I should set it at 600 maybe

MEGOMONSTER
1st October 2012, 05:30 AM
I have the boat in tow 100kph on the freeway and boost is at 10-11psi and EGT is at 375-400

MEGOMONSTER
19th October 2012, 03:11 PM
I was told today that pillar pods are illegal cos of view obstruction. Is thus true.

Jack taps here...........

megatexture
19th October 2012, 03:52 PM
Yea I think so but never herd of any one getting booked for it , not to say it won't happen

MEGOMONSTER
19th October 2012, 04:47 PM
Yea I think so but never herd of any one getting booked for it , not to say it won't happen

The coppers I can live with, insurance claims I'm worried about.

Yeeleh, my car won't start. Woop woop woop woop.
My car won't start.

megatexture
19th October 2012, 07:56 PM
i wouldnt worry about them and insurance maybe if your going to hit another car make sure its on the left hand side so the pillar isnt obstructing your view and it will have made no diffrence then they have no arguement.

MEGOMONSTER
21st October 2012, 10:00 AM
i wouldnt worry about them and insurance maybe if your going to hit another car make sure its on the left hand side so the pillar isnt obstructing your view and it will have made no diffrence then they have no arguement.

Thanks for the advise Mega, I'll be sure to restrict all motor vehicle accident the left side only.

Publicly speaking to a private audience.

megatexture
21st October 2012, 10:35 AM
Haha no worries mate lol

MEGOMONSTER
24th November 2012, 03:06 PM
I must admit they are not easy to read in the sunlight with polarised glasses and the gauges have polarised glass

Never argue with an idiot, cos he'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience. Y2K

Sir Roofy
24th November 2012, 04:39 PM
I was told today that pillar pods are illegal cos of view obstruction. Is thus true.

Jack taps here...........

yep they are but the hand grip is in the way also
you would have to be really un lucky to get nailed on that
unless the copper has a bad day,any ways look at the stuff they have in there cars
if thats not a distraction and obstruction

threedogs
24th November 2012, 05:33 PM
You'll find that was mainly for the Hoons and for having your guages outside near your bonnet.
Pretty sure pillar pods are fine plenty of hoons my way I'll ask a couple

stevogq
24th November 2012, 06:22 PM
i remember reading an article that states "aftermarket gauges shal not be over the bonnet in point of view" so if your looking at the front of your bonnet you should see a "horison" under that line is legal.

if you get what i meen.

BillsGU
25th November 2012, 07:17 AM
I must admit they are not easy to read in the sunlight with polarised glasses and the gauges have polarised glass

All LCDs are polarised. That's the principle behind how they work.

Winnie
25th November 2012, 07:19 AM
Tilt your head when looking at an LCD screen while wearing polarized glasses, black magic.

MEGOMONSTER
25th November 2012, 09:12 AM
At least the boost/EGT is still readable on the top gauge, but the volt gauge sometimes is the black magic trick.

Never argue with an idiot, cos he'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience. Y2K

stevogq
25th November 2012, 09:15 AM
hey mego is there a reason you baught the autron or did you consider autometer or any other brands?

im considering autometer, is there much difference in the accuacy in the both?

MEGOMONSTER
25th November 2012, 09:54 AM
The only reason I chose the Autron gauges is looks, they look shit hot.
I bring forth evidence No.1.
I bring forth evidence No.2
They (the forumites) say it may lag slightly to dial types but you would never know. I still love em all the same.

stevogq
25th November 2012, 11:47 AM
[QUOTE=MEGOMONSTER;297901]The only reason I chose the Autron gauges is looks, they look shit hot.
I bring forth evidence No.1.
I bring forth evidence No.2
They (the forumites) say it may lag slightly to dial types but you would never know. I still love em all the same.

enough said! i agree

MEGOMONSTER
23rd January 2016, 01:44 AM
One negative about these gauges is not being able to see the gauges clearly with my polarised glasses, as the lens on the gauges are also polarised.