PDA

View Full Version : RECOMMENDATIONS; 1999 gu Patrol, tb45e need help

jordan1994
30th May 2012, 06:51 PM
G'day members, my name is Jordan and I'm new to 4x4ing.
I have bought my first car being a 1999 Gu Nissan Patrol, tb45 on gas.
I'm an apprentice chippy and I live in the Western side of Melbourne. I will be hauling a trailer from time to time, not after a roof rack though.
I'm looking for helpful tips, ideas or thoughts to help me choose the right modifications for the vehicle.
i don't have a huge budget but i am willing to spend up $5,000.
My thoughts at the moment are a suspension lift, wheels and tyres and anything extra that you can think of mechanically or electronically?
I will mainly do weekend 4x4ing, nothing to serious but i still want the car to perform and look the part.
I need help regarding 35'inch tyres compared to 33'inch? suspension lift i was thinking 3 inch, but i need more information on both of these two modifications as well as what type of mud tyres are best all rounders..?

please give me as much advice and recommendations as possible and the problems i may have with certain after market parts.

Thank you Jordan

Thirsty
30th May 2012, 07:40 PM
Hi Jordan, The best way to get info on these mods is to read some of the members build-ups. Use there mistakes and good fortune to your benefit. This way you will also see what certain mods will look like. My opinion is a 2' lift and 33"tyres are a great allround combination. Everyone will have a different opinion on suspension and tyres. Its all going to come down to what you want to acheive in performance, look and drivabilty. My selection is OME for suspension and Mickey Thompson 4 rib ATR's for tyres. ( tyes are a allterain).
Good luck and congrats on buying a patrol.
Cheers

04OFF
30th May 2012, 08:58 PM
As it sounds like your car will be used as a daily drive, id have to agree with thirsty, 2'' lift and 33s are capable, practical and cost effective, as you are a apprentice and its your first car, i would actually leave it at that for now ,spend the rest of the money left over on fuel, and go have some fun.

You made the right choice in a 4x4 ,you will be amazed at where this thing will get you with a 2'' lift and decent tyres, once you master the art of 4wding you will get even further again without the need for heaps of mods.

Once you are at this stage, you will already know what you "need" next ,to best suit what you have found you like to do most.