PDA

View Full Version : Nasty Vibrations at around 100km in 1999 GU Patrol 4.5lt petrol/gas

Madcatter
30th May 2012, 09:03 AM
Hey guys looking for any help with my above mentioned problem. Heavy shaking through the steering. At first I thought it was a particular stretch of road as it only happened there, but now it is happening whenever I am on the highway at speeds of over a 100km.

Any help would be appreciated.

MC

my third 256
30th May 2012, 09:43 AM
check tyers and alinement / tyers could be out of round that is what happened to me
also mud on the inside of rims
stephen

ozzymalone
30th May 2012, 12:01 PM
Also check out your bushes...I drive the same vehicle with the same dramas and it is the control arm bushes i gotta replace. (Connecting arms to the axle). Just get underneath and check for a bit of wear.

filodore
31st May 2012, 07:21 AM
I think I have the same issue as above. For me, I have a GUIII 3Lt Diesel Manual, and it happens usually between 95-100km/h but once you get just over it then the rumbling stops. So it's just a matter of checking those arm things? Or would it more likely be wheel alignment?

Robo
31st May 2012, 01:49 PM
search forum for this very very very common problem and fixes.
steering wobble, head shake and caster correction,
outta round rims are all fair examples for a search into this problem you describe.
cheers

Irish
31st May 2012, 01:51 PM
If you have Maxxis tyres, from what I've read in the past some of them have a tendancy to go "out of round".

Check pressures, balancing and alignment first though if it's just a recent development. Also check to make sure you don't have clots of mud on the inside of your rims, throwing the balance out.

bazz61
31st May 2012, 05:36 PM
got the same prob, just had new bfgs fitted to dx ute 2000 model, steering wheel shakes at 80/ 85 ks , hopfully they never stuffed the balancing up, .....!

Lieney
1st June 2012, 09:54 PM
Swap ya front tyres to the rear. If they're not balanced correctly u should feel a difference if ya rears are better.check wheel balance 1st as they may b a little out. Mine were. Adjusted balance= no vibe. Check wheel bearings for adjustment. Google it if ya don't know how to do it. Check Swivel hubs / king pins. Mud in rim as previously mentioned. Then I'd look on2 bushes etc.

Sir Roofy
1st June 2012, 10:05 PM
maybe inside wheel wieghts have been knocked off

jman69
2nd June 2012, 07:56 PM
I had the same problem with my patrol. 75-85 kph. major wheel wobble / shake. Had the front wheels balanced and the problem went away.

greenback
3rd June 2012, 05:29 PM
had this problem was a loose wheel bearing for some reason the screws had come out of the locking washer (dont know if this caused it to loosen) most the problems attributed to this in the tyre shop i used to work in were due to either a bent rim, mud stuck to inside of rim affecting balance or wheel balance itself

Madcatter
6th June 2012, 04:29 AM
Many Thanks to all the replies. Very helpful info. When I get some time off work I will check a few of these out.

Cheers again

MC

ozzymalone
8th June 2012, 12:25 PM
Let us know the verdict too Madcatter. ;)