PDA

View Full Version : Got pretty lucky here!

GQPorkroll
28th May 2012, 11:51 PM
As you may know, I recently booked my truck in to have a new AC compressor fitted. Couldn't source a second hand one, so bit the bullet and bought a spanker at close to $1000 (RRP $1360). Both my suppliers listed only one compressor for GQ 3.0L and 4.2L, so assumed I had the right one.

Auto lec rings me and says its wrong. Ring the supplier and after describing it to him, it ended up being a generic unit that was fitted as an aftermarket kit, however, the truck has a AC dash, genuine switch etc. so perhaps it was dealer fitted upon purchase.

Anyway, the good news is that the RRP was only about $560. So I've got a new compressor and saved a sh1tload of cash. I'm really happy!

Richo460
29th May 2012, 02:21 AM
nice one, i can't understand why the compressors are so expensive, they are mostly the same so god knows why some are double the price.
I was told the same thing about my Mav ute, that it was aftermarket aircon but everything looked factory to me, maybe someone can shed some light on the subject as i am yet to see a patrol that doesn't have aircon.

taslucas
29th May 2012, 07:51 AM
Mine (91 Ti) has aircon and being a Ti you'd expect it to but the switch on the dash definately looks aftermarket--real cheap and nasty.

97_gq_lwb
29th May 2012, 09:41 AM
When you buy the aircon fan belt their are two types imported or australian models so i guess they fitted the aircon here on some.
At the end of the day though the aircon pumps are all made by someone else not nissan they just put their cut on top.
I found this place to be pretty good price wise http://www.autofrost.com.au/about.php

GQPorkroll
31st May 2012, 09:15 PM
Isn't the imported model the Safari with the high roof though? My unit was a Sanden if that helps at all and it is commonly fitted to 200B and Navara's, but mainly all late 70 early 90's Nissan's. Maybe Nissan swapped the compressors over under warranty? Maybe there was an issue with gases from Japan to Aus and the compressors needed to be swapped, who knows? I have no documentation on it, and my truck is only a base model and a 9/88 truck so I have no idea.