PDA

View Full Version : Uniden or GME?

Mattonpatrol
28th May 2012, 06:09 PM
Hey guys im i the running for a UHF sytem for my GU and have been pricing around on some gear... For a GME kit with a 5w unit and a 6DBI arial and 80 channel, im looking around $500..... or a Uniden system with a 5W unit and a 6.5DBI arial and 80 chnnel for $330........
I know that GME is one of the good brands out their but just not sure if its woth spening the extra coupla hunred $$$ just for a name... Does anyone have any experience or know of what Uniden is like?

Thnaks guys!!

Bloodyaussie
28th May 2012, 06:12 PM
GME all the way.... I have both and my GME has it all over the Uniden !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clunk
28th May 2012, 06:24 PM
I've got a uniden and have had no issues with it, guess it all depends on whatexatly yore gonna use it for............ if it just for chatting with ya mates when your out n about in a convoy, get the uniden and put the money you've saved towards something else

janderson
28th May 2012, 06:31 PM
GME all the way.... I have both and my GME has it all over the Uniden !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

same, have a uniden but my gme is the way to go

megatexture
28th May 2012, 06:33 PM
gme all the way x2

i have 3 gme units and are doing great i don’t think ill get any other brand unless its just a 2w hand held for winching and recoveries that way it don’t matter if i drop it in the mud:tease:

what units are you looking at

megatexture
28th May 2012, 08:10 PM
turns out i have 4
a gme a tx3200 in the work ute, tx670 for recoveries/general use and a tx6200 that’s hard wired in the car but can be removed and used for mobile use and a gme 3500 that fits nicely in the roof and handsets located on the dash and plays through the stereo

Mattonpatrol
28th May 2012, 09:19 PM
Hey guys I'm in the running to buy a dash mounted UHF system for my GU.... and just wondering if it's worth paying the extra $200-$300 for a GME setup rather than a Uniden setup.... It's mainly just to chat to each other from when we go out on a 4wd trip on the road then when we hit off road, so it won't be anymore than around 5km distance at the max, im not planing on going out in the middle of the bush 50km out from siviliatation lol Or I'd be spending the big $$$... The Uniden system is a 5watt unit and a 6.5DBI arial,,, Just wondering if anyone has a Uniden setup or has had any experiences with it?
Thanks guys!

NissanGQ4.2
28th May 2012, 09:44 PM
Merged both your threads relating 2 the same subject under your first thread.

When you get a chance, please drop in at the introduction section and tell us a little bit about yourself and your rig

The intro section can be found in my signature line.

Cheers

Todd

TimE
28th May 2012, 11:11 PM
Had both. prefer GME. Have you had a look at this mob (http://www.prestigecom.net.au/) in Perth, it is where I have bought all my radios over the years, best prices I've found and you will see GME packages in the $300 range.

usual disclaimer about no affiliation etc

Silver
28th May 2012, 11:50 PM
Apologies if you know all this, hope it helps...

You can think about your antenna too, UHF is line of sight, more or less. there are repeater channels/duplex channels that help with this in a lot of locations, but here in Brisvegas they are often clogged up with dim witted clowns. The repeater station is in a high location.

Away from repeater stations, and duplex channels, you are back to your own set.

This is where antenna gain comes in.

A low gain antenna produces a signal shaped like a donut. Good for hills - but won't go from one valley to the next. The higher the antenna gain, the flatter the disc - high gain antennas make a dinner plate shape signal, and are great for plains country. High gain antennas are usually longer than low gain - and need more watching in the bush in case of damage.

Years ago I bought an ICOM handheld - well made and a price to match. Too old a design to upgrade to 80 channels, sadly. I also have a couple of cheap handhelds - small enough to easily go into a pocket, and great for close range work, recoveries etc.

When the UHF that came with the Mav died, on the advice of the auto leccie I bought a little uniden head unit and antenna kit. So small it is easy to find a place to fit. Works OK - so far :-) and truth be told I expect it to work OK for a fair while. Controls are reasonably intuitive, so all round, happy enough with it.

bordertech
6th June 2012, 09:34 PM
I have and use both and have sold both but just Uniden now as the majority seem to prefer to pay less. Nothing between them performance wise really except that some of the GME components are made in Oz hence the higher price.

Winnie
6th June 2012, 09:49 PM
I've got a Uniden in mine, came with the vehicle. It's a DIN sized unit. If I were to buy one I'd get GME, simply because I can get them at cost price.

gbab01
6th June 2012, 10:56 PM
Hi. Have a Uniden and and GME. GME came with the GU and the Uniden I purchased previously and removed before I sold my Suzuki. Replaced the GME with the Uniden as it has a remote handset which I like. Check out www.ryda.com.au Got my Uniden on line from them and at that time the prices were fantastic. Don't know how they compare now as it was a few years back. Cheers.

Bloodyaussie
7th June 2012, 06:11 PM
This needs to be a poll of sorts...????

I own both but as I said before the GME wins hands down.

I have 4 uhf's 2gme's and 2 Unidens and I owned a Oricom for 3 days before getting a refund as they were so crap and about 3-4 AM radios.

Stropp
7th June 2012, 11:04 PM
Had both. prefer GME. Have you had a look at this mob (http://www.prestigecom.net.au/) in Perth, it is where I have bought all my radios over the years, best prices I've found and you will see GME packages in the $300 range.

usual disclaimer about no affiliation etc

I bought a gme from these guys and they delivered in Perth the next day, great service.