PDA

View Full Version : Is this "hand grenade" engine talk real?

Mark The Maybe Newbie
28th May 2012, 12:14 AM
Hi Guys

Have put a deposit down on a 2002 3L td patrol (GU 111). Its done 140k. Have read some stuff about hand grenade engines. Whats up? Is this a model to steer clear of?? Any feedback appreciated.

dieseltrol
28th May 2012, 01:32 AM
Yeah I think it is very true, but there are some things that can be done to overcome a lot of the problems, the best thing to do is read up...

growler2058
28th May 2012, 05:07 AM
G'day mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice. Yup the rumors are true use the search function and type in NADS these are the mods to stop the motor from detonating

Tapp tillya Crap

Maxhead
28th May 2012, 06:08 AM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate. 2002 model was one of the ones effected pretty badly but there are still thousands of them driving around. Read up and then make up your mind.

Bigrig
28th May 2012, 08:06 AM
G'day mate and welcome aboard - great people, information and laughs to be found on here, so join in to make the most of it!!!

Enjoy!!

scotty83
28th May 2012, 09:22 AM
It can be true. HOWEVER I know of plenty of 2000-2004 cars that haven't had any dramas and are still running around in factory form. As a preventative measure do what others have suggested search NADS. Some of the cars out there these days already have NADS fitted. It is probably also worth searching for rebuild threads. Sorry I haven't got any in mind at the moment.

Sir Roofy
28th May 2012, 10:22 AM
Welcome aboard mate enjoy your stay
ive got the same model as you,ive heard and read all the doom and gloom
ours was in pretty good nick when we got her
as soon as i got her home it was straight on to the nads,so far every thing is going fine
done a few long trips in her towed the camper to loveday and home no worrys
been bush a few times no probs,there a nice comfy rig to ride in,doesnt matter what you get they all have problems
somewhere at some time ,do your research take your time ask around

Tobes
28th May 2012, 11:40 AM
Hi Guys,
That is so true Roofy. I'm fairly new to the scene, and when i got into it and started doing all the research its easy to get disheartened with all the doom and gloom. As time goes on I learnt (as you say) "no matter what you get they all have problems"

megatexture
28th May 2012, 04:23 PM
9 times out of 10 ppl just rant,not many will come on and say how much they love their car and the ones that do are all on here!.
chances are it may have the mods done to it already if not its cheap piece of mind to do them yourself or get them done

welcome to the forum mate.

Dhuck
28th May 2012, 06:41 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

Mark The Maybe Newbie
29th May 2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks Guys, looks like a likely buy depending on a RAA mechanic check tomorrow. Is there any data out there regarding failures with the NADS fitted? Can anyone recommend a shop in Adelaide to buy and fit the kit/s? Thanks for the help so far.

Finly Owner
30th May 2012, 11:03 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Mark

Tim

Blacklotusdog
31st May 2012, 09:35 AM
Hey Mate,

Most of the mods are relatively easy to fit yourself, general consensus seems to be boost and EGT gauges, Provent or other catch can and dawes and needle valves for boost control, as others have said do a search for NADS, their is HEAPS of info around on it and multiple guides and tutorials to fit all the things you need.

Cheers,

Tim