PDA

View Full Version : Charge Master Dual battery system issues

Lewy
27th May 2012, 05:06 PM
Gday all,

I have a Charge Master Dual battery system in my GU and am having a few issues.. So when I have stopped and turn the motor off the Battery split charge isolator (under the bonnet) stays on - both lights. It does say in the manual that they will be on for about 5min to equalise the 2 battery's but mine stay on for well over 30min and the solenoid gets bloody hot!!! The only way I can shut it down is pull the earth off the battery and it disconnects and goes back to normal.

I took it back to Opposite Lock and they changed the split charge isolator and solenoid it seemed to work normally for a few weeks and has now gone back to its old ways..

So does anyone have the same problem or know why it may be doing this?

Also both batteries fitted are new.

Cheers Lewy

the evil twin
27th May 2012, 05:46 PM
Hmmm... interesting. So, two new batteries, new solenoid and new controller pretty much rules out any of those being faulty.

Now, it is not unusual for a VSR relay to hold in for 30 minutes or more if two good batteries are involved. I have seen them hold in for hours in some cases if the parasitic load on the circuits is low (IE nothing running on the Aux and not too many accessories on the Cranker side).

What is unusual is the Solenoid getting hot. Heat means current flow and lots of it and that doesn't make a lot of sense as there is no where for the current to flow if the Aux battery is charged. It is also unusual in that if there is high current flow the cranker should drop below the cut out voltage pretty darn quick IE seconds to a minute or two at most.

Does either of the batteries drop significantly in voltage when the solenoid is open and they are isolated?
Why did the Opposite Lock change the gear? Did they do it on spec as good customer relations or did the test it and agree there was a fault?

Lewy
27th May 2012, 06:05 PM
Ok so the cranking battery only drops down in voltage when I turn on the ignition to start the car (car kicks over with no struggle). This is just going off the charge master controller. We did have the auxiliary battery run very low as I forgot to turn off the fridge (4wd doesn't get driven through the week) But have since charged it back up with a smart charger.. So both battery's are now fully charged.. I have now gone out and pulled the earth off to reset it as I was getting worried about it burning out or something.. OL just figgered it must have been a fault in the split charge isolator and solenoid. So being good to me they just swapped it over.. I have been thinking of taking it to a auto electrician and see if OL have put it in correctly??

Yendor
27th May 2012, 06:27 PM
From what you have posted, I don't think you have any problems.

A VSR relay with no loads on the batteries (and good batteries) can easily stay linked for 30 minutes.

They do get warm during normal operation, is yours getting hotter after 30 minutes? or does the temperature stays the same?

The easiest way to check the operation, is to turn the headlights on after turning off the engine, the isolator should disconnect the batteries within a couple of minutes.

Lewy
27th May 2012, 06:34 PM
Gday Yendor,

Ok cool Ill give that a go.. I don't think its getting any hotter no! just seems very hot..

Thanks heaps for your help guys and I'll keep you posted on what the outcome is..

Cheers, Lewy

the evil twin
27th May 2012, 08:09 PM
Ah... OK... if it isn't getting hotter then, yeah, I agree with Rodney, I don't think anything is wrong. As prev posted often the VSR Solenoid will hold in for ages until the voltage stabilises on the Cranker if both the batt's are charged and there is no other current drains.

I read your post as the solenoid is getting very hot after you switch off.

Lewy
27th May 2012, 08:26 PM
Ok cool. I'll test it out next weekend. So just one more question will it stay on untill the cranking batt is stabilised? Even if that takes say 45min or more?
Cheers again guys for you help

Lewy

Yendor
27th May 2012, 09:32 PM
If your charge system is working correctly the voltages in both batteries should already be stabilised long before you turn the engine off.

The isolator will keep both batteries linked together until the voltage drops down to a set limit.

Lewy
1st June 2012, 08:25 AM
Gday Guys,

Thanks for all your info and help!! The system is all working properly. After running the car I turned on all the lights and spotties and with in a min the split charge isolator turned off..

Cheers Lewy