PDA

View Full Version : GQ: Canvas seat covers and HIDs or Xenons

bend089
26th May 2012, 06:41 AM
Hi All,

Pick up the GQ Tuesday looking to 4wd that weekend!
Wiring the new speaker in, fixing the winch and cleaning it up (re touch up post)

Just a question in relation to seat covers, any recommendations on a tough seat cover for the GQ? I'm looking for something you can wash or hose down after a muddy/sandy trip...

Also any ideas on the best HID or xenon low and hi bean light kit and how easy it is to fit?

Thanks!

Ben

bend089
26th May 2012, 08:07 AM
just saw this article on the GQ< cant wait to get into mine!
http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and-reviews/buyers-guide/nissan_patrol_gq_1988_1997_buyers_guide

nissannewby
26th May 2012, 08:46 AM
wetseat do a good one and are cheaper than canvas google wet seat and have a gander. Go for the better quality higher priced hid items most come with fitting instructions and are easy to do should take you between 1-2 hrs

megatexture
26th May 2012, 09:04 AM
ive had canvas seats in 2 work hilux utes on a 3 year lease and they only last me the3 years at a stretch and they get ripped and holes like nissannewby said ill be trying the wetsuit style this time

DX grunt
26th May 2012, 10:28 AM
Found these on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/items/_W0QQ_sopZ12?_nkw=black%20duck%20seat%20covers%20p atrol&_fromfsb=0&_trksid=m270.l1313

Rossco

bend089
26th May 2012, 10:32 AM
Those look good, just got my CD player and all the items for install! pumped up.

bend089
26th May 2012, 10:42 AM
would these Xenon lights be ok?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-XENON-LIGHT-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-6000K-H4-HI-LOW-BEAM-PATROL-GQ-/170847080668?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c74790dc

BoroNSW
26th May 2012, 05:35 PM
would definately go with the 6000K HID conversion. Easy install if you plan it.. Just watch the waterproof boot on the relay - not waterproof. Gone through 2, and its mounted on side wall at battery height ! The last time I used silicone to make sure it was waterproof, since then no probs. You can buy an extension wiring loom so the relay can be mounted with the other relays near the battery. Its not driving through water thats the problem, its that fine mist that gets in the engine bay on a rainy day - so be warned.
The other problem is the globes. Make sure they are in the locked position and secure. THEY WILL RATTLE LOOSE OFF ROAD and short. This discolours the lens reflector and blows the globe. I carry standard H4 globes with me everywhere in the event the HIDs die, you cant readily buy them at a servo in a country town. Having said all that, I love my HIDs. They are great on country roads and off road treks. My GQ is only vehicle that has had probs with HID conversion, probably the corragated road I live on. Have done 2 others on jeep and toyota with none of the probs I have had with the GQ. After you fit them adjust your headlights down 1/2 turn on the adjustment screw, or you'll get people flashng you at night thinking you are on high beam and street signs in the bush will blind you. Good luck. Almost forgot I fopund best results from the more expensive 55W that I used on the GQ then the 35W I used on the other conversions.

Tweakedoffroad
28th May 2012, 02:31 AM
I would recommend the 6000k hid hits I sell a lot of these or the 5000k be weary on cheap kits as you will find you are replacing bits on them all the time should take no longer than 2 hours to convert them over

GQPorkroll
28th May 2012, 06:01 PM
I have fitted canvas camoflauge seatcovers to my GQ, they were about $150 for fronts and rears off eBay. I think they look good, but others may find them tacky. I wanted a canvas seat cover and I plan to respray it in camo in a while so I like em. They came from and Aussie company and I had them in a few days. They're a lot better made than others i've seen and sold over the years. The drivers side hasn't moved or bunched up after a few months of use and they're easy to clean, I just hit them with the dust buster.

I also have HID lights fitted with 55w ballasts and 5000k globes in my regular lights. Again, the kits came from eBay, the seller is Jazztrax10 (or similar). He uses very strong, waterproof 55w ballasts (most are 35w). I previously had Chinese cheapies fitted and the globe blew in less than 6 months despite no off road work (the truck was in the workshop for most of the time) and although an improvement from standard, they were nowhere near as good as these ones. He has globes from 2300k to 10000k in all sizes and is very reasonably priced and provides excellent service.

Everything is 100% bolt in, the harness is all fused and its one of the best i've seen. I've had no problems at all with his gear and he sells globes as well, which a lot of the Chinese sellers don't, or they don't have a standard type globe and you'll need to change ballasts if you do a globe.

I installed my own HID kit in less than an hour, super simple, one wire to pos and neg, plug the original H4 plug into the ballast, fit the new globes, wire them, then tidy the wiring. Super straight forward and easy to do. Its a bit tight in behind the drivers side light though.

My tips would be to replace the reflectors as well, the better the reflector, the better the light. And if you buy a generic reflector, fill the parker light hole with a grommet or cover it with some duct tape to keep water out. Also, If you're looking for HID driving lights, I think you're far better off to buy either Lightforce/Roolites (With adjustable beams) or lights with a spot and spread combination and do a HID conversion on them rather than buying Chinese HID driving lights. I have a pair which were claimed to be 55w however they're more like a 35w, and the reflectors give no spread at all. The light travels around 800m but the beam is very close. I aimed it approx 100m away and the spot was around 2m which, on and off road, is pretty much pointless. They will end up being listed on eBay. The other complaint is the adjustment is crap. The only adjustment is forward or back and its on a ratchet, so you're very limited when trying to set the lights up.

HID's are probably one of the best conversions you can do to a truck, IMO.