PDA

View Full Version : TB 42 electric fuel pump change

MQ MAD
25th May 2012, 11:51 AM
Hey lads,
The electric fuel pump in the GQ decided it didnt want to play yesterday,and packed it in
Whats involved in replacing it, spose the full fuel tank has to come out ???

Kinda annoyed me it went, but having the top RACQ cover helped, specially when it got towed over 150Ks home for free.....

97_gq_lwb
25th May 2012, 05:17 PM
I can't remember if they are in tank pumps but if it is they last a lot longer if you don't let it get below 1/4 of a tank.
I have a jew mate that runs around on empty and he goes through fuel pumps like you wouldn't believe.

MQ MAD
3rd June 2012, 11:13 AM
Put this up for future reference
Trap door in rear cargo area, undo that and theres access to the fuel tank
Disconnect the 2 fuel lines, mark them somehow,unplug the wire harness,just unclips,then undo the half dozen screws and pullout the fuel sender/fuel pump unit
Inside the plastic type cover is the fuel pump

The factory fuel pump has 2 tabs with holes , that wires are screwed to ,the wires have threaded ends ,screw goes thru tabs and thread into wires
Replacement pump mite NOT have this style ,and have bolts, easy fix carefully drill out the tabs on the wires (with the threads) so the wires can then be bolted to the replacement pump
That takes the longest time, as well, ya wanna be carefull not to stuff the wires with the drills power, so slow and steady there
Wire it up,then refit it
Just a simple reverse of the removal
Shouldnt take anymore than say 2 hours, with the slight wire tab alteration