PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning intake when blocking EGR..worth it??

adventurepaul
22nd May 2012, 11:53 PM
Just wondering if its worth pulling the intake and cleaning when I cap the EGR. Just got the GU with 160k on the clock. No engine mods so far. Seen some pics of blocked up intakes and might be worth the couple of gaskets and my time.
If others have done so, any tricks? Have rebuilt the odd engine in my past so I'm up for it, and the intercooler is split so that will be coming off anyway.

T0nka
23rd May 2012, 12:15 AM
i had mine cleaned chemically, cost me 80 bux

Lieney
28th May 2012, 11:54 AM
Clean intake is something i'd do for two reasons. 1-ensures air is clean with no added crud going in. 2-diagnostics if something else happens. Clean engines are easier to diagnose faults with & can make finding faults quicker.& ya hands don't get dirty :)

Sir Roofy
28th May 2012, 01:15 PM
just wondering if its worth pulling the intake and cleaning when i cap the egr. Just got the gu with 160k on the clock. No engine mods so far. Seen some pics of blocked up intakes and might be worth the couple of gaskets and my time.
If others have done so, any tricks? Have rebuilt the odd engine in my past so i'm up for it, and the intercooler is split so that will be coming off anyway.

if you saw the pics then why would you not clean it before blocking
anything to make a 3l breath easy is worth the trouble

Rumcajs
29th May 2012, 08:29 PM
Clean the intake, shim the E*R and fit oil catch can as a minimum.
Cheers