PDA

View Full Version : Anyone work in a car dealership?

2TROLLFAM
22nd May 2012, 11:23 PM
Recently started working in the industry and where I work have what I think is a strange Pre-Delivery process, maybe it's just my anal retentive way of thinking but too many fingers in the pie so to speak

Does anyone have any experience in this area that they don't mind sharing?

Silver
22nd May 2012, 11:41 PM
Hi Amelia, are you talking about the interesting chain of ownership that is inherent in various car yards financing their stock, or something else?

2TROLLFAM
23rd May 2012, 12:10 AM
More the "who does what & when" from when the bloody thing arrives on the truck to when the customer picks it up .... some days it's like a goat farm

oncedisturbed
23rd May 2012, 12:18 AM
my sister used to work for a mazda stealership over here in WA a few years ago, look after staff yuppers but not clients, the stuff she told us that happens is like WTF??

2TROLLFAM
23rd May 2012, 12:25 AM
my sister used to work for a mazda stealership over here in WA a few years ago, look after staff yuppers but not clients, the stuff she told us that happens is like WTF??

YUP I'd believe that !! I'm actually pretty proud of the place I work, they are generally above board & open with clients which is awesome BUT sometimes yeah, I think WTF !!!!!!

Chris79
23rd May 2012, 09:00 PM
I spent the first 8 years of my working life in dealerships so I imagine your refering to accessories or in particular 3rd party accessories?
Workshop organizes an outside fitter then puts some cream on top before charging the sales department ect lol. Or some of the interesting pre-delivery or labour charges between the service/pd centers back to sales ha ha.
Then dont get started on the commissions to the sales people:clapping:

2TROLLFAM
23rd May 2012, 09:12 PM
I spent the first 8 years of my working life in dealerships so I imagine your refering to accessories or in particular 3rd party accessories?
Workshop organizes an outside fitter then puts some cream on top before charging the sales department ect lol. Or some of the interesting pre-delivery or labour charges between the service/pd centers back to sales ha ha.
Then dont get started on the commissions to the sales people:clapping:

Hmmmm pretty much - but what I don't get is the number of people at work with their fingers in the pie of all this. Our Service Department charge Sales for PD's, accessories, detail, fuel etc. yet they don't have a technician (mechanic) allocated to do the dealership work so the boys are literally under the gun with all the retail & used car dept. work they have to do PLUS Sales snapping their fingers going "we want this NOW!!!" then they (Sales) think ok, it's back from outsourcing (be it tint, cruise control, etc etc etc), the PD is done so why can't the 3 (yes 3) detailers the yard has keep both New & Used Cars on display clean, do the complimentary cleans the service department/big boss keep offering people & DETAIL these cars for delivery in 5mins? Oh, not to mention moving cars from our off site storage.

Surely there has to be a smooth running 'procedure' to ensure everything gets done, in sequence, in a manner where those that need to know can see where the process is upto & still deliver a vehicle on time without everyone being pissed off ???

ETA : I might have to pick your brains

wildgu6
23rd May 2012, 10:27 PM
Its not just the dealership, it sales staff world wide.
Worked in the steel industry for 13 years in processing (purchasing and planning) organising maintanance, scheduling production and meeting deadlines, When your machines are chockers
24/7 thats not an easy feit which is why it needed to be scheduled, you would be suprised how many times a day the so called set schedule had to be changed due to sales reps promising clients they could have their orders on the day, when there was a 3 day locked schedule, hahahahahaha locked my a4$$. Its a catch 22, You have to please the client to keep the business, but the sales reps need to understand, its a bit like a late bill, if you explain to the client it wont be ready until tomorrow or the next day 9 out of 10 times the client is fine with that, the one thats not is ussualy a one of client anyway, but one rush job is easier than 10. Also the more sales can push through the more commission at the end of month, so they dont care who gets pushed aside to get their order through. I used to p1$$ them off at times with the clients i knew pretty well, I would ring them and work out exactly when it was needed and was suprised at how often it wasnt that urgent anyway. Blah blah blah, hope you understood all that hahahahahaha have another drink

2TROLLFAM
23rd May 2012, 10:32 PM
Yeah just having a similar convo with Brad - he's a supervisor in Minining Equipment construction company - Sales there are doing the same thing. It's just crazy how ppl can't all work as a TEAM to get the job done. It's not like our dealership is huge, everyone generally gets along until it's time to deliver a new car.

Chris79
23rd May 2012, 11:29 PM
Exactly, if your talking about general madness in the dealership, it usually has to do with salespeople making promises.
Dealership and smooth running dont usually go hand in hand lol. All will usually run smooth until someone pushes in with a urgent delivery or a car is back late from somewhere for what ever reason. Then it all turns to you know what lol