PDA

View Full Version : Petrol/Diesel....what to buy from personal experience....

Irish_Phil
22nd May 2012, 04:16 PM
Hey Kids......Am hunting for a GU Troll and am leaning to the petrol side of the force......

But here is the scenario...... Just moved to Peru from Ireland and they drive like lunatics, rules of the road are not obeyed unless the police are on the street in plain sight, the roads have pot-holes that would swallow small to mid-size cars, the mountain ranges are perfect for causing mayhem and about half the country is jungle!!! So a Troll fits the bill perfectly :wink:

The diesel motor would be perfect except for the fact, that diesel is about the same price as petrol at the gas stations!!! about $5/liter ......And I can only find the 3.0 liter model......they are reasonably priced with low mileage on most (100k - 130k)
Yesterday I found a 2002 4.8 with 85k's ..... with a full Nissan Service History, clean bodywork, nice set of Mickey Thompson Tires, only problem is that it has leather seats.....now yes, this pig will suck a lot of fuel, BUT, they have LPG & LNG at almost every filling station in the country..... and a top notch conversion job will cost about 2k......the LPG is the more attractive of the two and runs you about $1.46/liter (peruvian money) which is about $0.55/liter (Australian)...... a full tank of LPG will cost me
about $45 (Australian)......

So please, if anybody has any information to swing the battle for me, please....let me know...

MudRunnerTD
22nd May 2012, 06:28 PM
G'day Phil,

mate if you can get LPG everywhere then grab the 4.8 You will love it. why is the leather seats a problem?

If you could find a TD42T then go for it but otherwise the 4.8 will serve you well. Plenty of punch and will go all day. LPG seems fairly cheap and the conversion installation is a good deal. Go for it. If you can get a Direct Injection LPG conversion all the better.

Have Fun.

Ibbo
22nd May 2012, 11:00 PM
Hey Irish Phil,

I prefer diesel in oz for the greater range and availability in the outback. I have not been to Peru but is one place I would love to get too, I hear there is some great surf and adventures to be had along the west coast there. I agree with MudRunnerTD that if you can get LPG anywhere in Peru then the 4.8 is probably a good thing. I do concede that the petrol engines are great in the sand with plenty of grunt to get you up those dunes. Whichever way you go I'm sure you'll have fun.

Good luck with the Spanish!

gu4500
22nd May 2012, 11:50 PM
I'd go with the 4.8 and get the LPG conversion. The petrol motor is a simpler piece of gear, that just costs more to run on petrol - it costs you as you go, not in a big parcel if/when the diesel holes a piston, or gets bad fuel and does a fuel pump etc.

Only issue with gas conversions can be backfiring if a snorkel is fitted - some need a "balance pipe".

megatexture
23rd May 2012, 12:33 AM
i get alot less speeding fines driveing a diesel so ill be sticking with them,also i like the fact you do get it more in outback areas.

Boagie
24th May 2012, 01:24 PM
Buy a diesel and get on the net and find out how to make ya own diesel from cooking oil blends.....clack clack

nissannewby
24th May 2012, 02:45 PM
Diesel everything is going diesel these days and the dreaded pump rebuild etc on the old mechanical diesels isnt a huge thing anymore plus if well looked after you can get 300k out of them before having to look at these :) and on the ole td42 you have to be doing something pretty bad and have an awful state of tune before you hole pistons or do any engine damage

Irish_Phil
29th May 2012, 08:59 AM
Sorry was snowed under with work and haven't been online...... thanks for the responses, I would love to get my hands on 4.2 motor, but me thinks it was only available for the Oz market??? Yeah, the LPG system I saw is done by a company called BRC - http://www.brc.it/getcontent.aspx?t=1&nid=189&lang=en ....... the system is of the sequential variety, and is fully integrated to use the oxygen sensors- air/fuel ratio is changed the conventional way through the oxygen sensors and not an emulator....... and I drove the petrol truck this morning, the only real problem problem was the tranny not changing gears as quickly as I would like, is this a common thing with them????
the manual/tiptronic shift function works fine, just normal driving and it takes higher rpm's than you would think is normal to shift up a gear..... I read on the forum that some people were thinking of changing the valve body, anybody have any experience with this????