PDA

View Full Version : Redarc bcdc1220 dual battery system

scotty83
22nd May 2012, 10:16 AM
Good / Bad / Other.

Have been looking at a charging solution for a while as the Redarc Isolator just isn't doing it fully. Also doesn't allow for different battery types.
It will need to be mounted under the passenger side of a GU bonnet. I did look at the Ctek D250s but it seems to have a low temperature cutout level, which i am concerned about with the turbo and exhaust in the area.

Any Reviews?

HammerBuilder
22nd May 2012, 07:40 PM
Not sure how many dc to dc chargers there are that are weather proof as such,
I got my AGM behind back seat & just use a battery isolatar under the bonnet then into a solar charge controller 50amp which allows me to charge all different types of batteries in car & Van behind it using anderson plugs been good alrounder Cheap as whole setup well under $250
& has never left me stranded or out of power.

megatexture
22nd May 2012, 07:52 PM
I’ve got the Ctek D250s awesome! is all i can say when i fitted my battery i got a cheap battery box and cut drainage holes in the base and mounted the battery in the box to protect it from the heat of the turbo and the radiator overflow that’s mounted next to the aux battery spot.
also i mounted the temp sender for the d250 to the front of the battery away from the turbo
im yet to do it but it wouldn’t be hard to run ducting from the front of the radiator to the box also simular to the main batt box to aid in ventilation.

battery box i used (without the lid):
http://www.quicksales.com.au/buy/auction.aspx?itemid=14165935&src=googlemerchant

zmaster
22nd May 2012, 10:46 PM
Go Aussie made every time! Redarc are top units, but usually not necessary unless you have long cable run with voltage drop.

megatexture
22nd May 2012, 11:03 PM
The main difference with redarc and ctek is the max chargeing amps redarc 40 and ctek 20, oh and the price almost doubles with redarc if you go with ctek buy it off eBay my mate has a baintec account and his price is higher than the eBay price by like 20$

scotty83
23rd May 2012, 04:25 PM
Anyone Else. What about for your campers? 240V chargers included

HammerBuilder
23rd May 2012, 08:04 PM
Anyone Else. What about for your campers? 240V chargers included

If your camper is wired for 240v as well as 12v thats an easy 1 as you can use a normal 12v battery charger to suit type of battery you have
or something like Projecta IC1500 which charges all types up to 15Amps 7 stage I have 1 of these in mine mounted under bench but have yet
to need it as I move regularly so car charges batteries back up & also have an 80watt solar panel permantly on roof.
Don't use 1 that you can't bolt down as been there done that & they bounce round n usually break to bits.

Cheers Tony

megatexture
24th May 2012, 12:44 AM
My ctek charges my trailer batteries(2x agm) as i drive via Anderson plug and im looking at getting a solar panel soon for longer stays.
Everything i have is 12v so when or if i have 240v power i just use my ctek xs 7000 as ive only ever camped with 240 twice so ive not fitted anything permanent.

i also have a 10m extention for car- trailer incase i want/ need to charge the trailer but its out of reach till i get a solar panel

bigcruzer
9th June 2012, 12:39 PM
Megatexture, do you have any pics of the Ctek D250s installed? I have just purchased one and I am looking for ideas on where and how to install it. If you could post a pic it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

megatexture
9th June 2012, 11:06 PM
where i mounted my first battery isolator was next to the aux battery but the ctek is slightly larger unit and i wasnt to keen on haveing it that close to the turbo so i moved it next to the starter batt you can see the battery box i mentioned earlier that i fitted around the aux batt.

bigcruzer
9th June 2012, 11:11 PM
Cool, thanks for that, gives me some ideas!

scotty83
7th July 2012, 08:16 AM
where i mounted my first battery isolator was next to the aux battery but the ctek is slightly larger unit and i wasnt to keen on haveing it that close to the turbo so i moved it next to the starter batt you can see the battery box i mentioned earlier that i fitted around the aux batt.

That is a busy bunch of wiring you have there. How do you manage it all?

MudDonk
7th July 2012, 08:52 AM
if u have a camper/caravan with a battery in it u will need a 1240 bcdc to run the system effectively, this unit is also solar compatable