PDA

View Full Version : Mining Employment

Blownlc
21st May 2012, 07:11 PM
Hi all,

After a lot of though and deliberation I have decided that the only way to fast track my ambitions, is to make a career change. Whether this be temporary or permanent only time will tell.

I'm looking and gaining employment within the mining sector, but with so many different mining companies, locations and mine types, I am unsure where to start. I have looked into a couple of agencies but have been put off by the fact that they want several hundred dollars up front and do not mention anything about actually obtaining positions for clients.

I have a young family and am located in Victoria so I'm looking for something that is FIFO. I'm a mechanical plumber by trade (heating, airconditioning and ventilation) with extensive experience in industrial scale mechanical services as well as managerial experience in the industry.

Basically I'm wondering if any of you fine gentlemen can point me in the right direction of who to contact or where I should be looking?

Many Thanks

Stu

DX grunt
21st May 2012, 07:38 PM
Hey Stu

Google.....mining employment victoria, or WA or NSW, ect........ Should find enough coin to do a few mods. lol

All the best.

Take care out there.

Rossco

Benno7
21st May 2012, 08:05 PM
http://www.riotinto.com/index_careers.asp

Blownlc
21st May 2012, 08:15 PM
Hi Rossco,

This was my first point of call. But I haven't been able to find positions that I am qualified for, or ones that do not require previous mining experience.

I have heard many stories of plumbers, carpenters, etc gaining employment in the mines but can't seem to find out how they have done it.

All the positions I seem to find, require high levels of tertiary education, different trades to my own or extensive experience in the operation of heavy machinery. Non of which I have.

Blownlc
21st May 2012, 08:25 PM
Hi Benno,

I have also registered my details and left a resume with Rio Tinto (only the other day) but this avenue has been entered.

DX grunt
21st May 2012, 08:49 PM
Are you prepared to go interstate, or stay in Vic?

DX grunt
21st May 2012, 08:51 PM
try googling......BGC mining

nissannewby
21st May 2012, 08:59 PM
Hey mate i work in the mines myself and they are hard to get into unless your a diesel fitter or hv sparky. Your best bet is to apply for any sort of position with a mining company as getting your foot in the door will be the hardest part of it all but once your in you are set and can move around to different positions and then onto other sites until you find a roster/pay setup that works for you. There are mines in SA which dont require as much to get in as the ones do up here in QLD and NSW is also easier to get into as well have a look in the hunter valley region. Also dont be affraid to apply with contractors who do all there work for mine sites as a lot of full time positions in the mines are given to people who are already out there so if your there with a contractor it only increases your chances. Hope this helps.

macca86
21st May 2012, 09:11 PM
I had the same problem as I'm just out my time of my apprenticeship ( boilermaker). So instead of a mine site I went and worked in a mine town (rockhampton) Payed heaps more than brisbane and I gained the experience I needed as it was related to mining.
Use seek and career one to find jobs and take anything. If you don't know anyone in the mines it's hard so tickets and more tickets help. I have trade papers ewp fork overhead crane work at heights confined space blue card and generic coal induction.
You get paid big bucks but the life style isn't for everyone so they employ people who have spent thier own money so they know they are serious about sticking it out

Blownlc
21st May 2012, 09:33 PM
dx grunt: I'm definitely prepared to go interstate. Although I need a roster that is feeseble given that the mrs is due to give birth to treasure number 3 in August. We've discussed it, and a 7 on 7 off would be optimum.
The plan is for me to work in the mines for about three years, which is when treasures 1&2 will be due to start school.
If it works out well the potential is there for long time employment. That's if the wages are as good as the rumors say they are.
BGC may be of use. I'll call them tomorrow. Thanks!

Nissannewby: If I could find a labouring job to get my foot in the door I would apply just can't seem to find where these jobs are advertised. Are the wages in SA ans NSW similar to that of up north or west?
What is your skill set or job in the mines?

Rip'n'Shred
21st May 2012, 09:39 PM
x2 the lifestyle isn't for everyone!

Check out the mining giants websites weekly for traineeships in mining, operators etc.

Not the traineeship type pay you may be thinking.

Shift work sux at times. You can guarantee the thing you really want to do on the weekend is when your rostered on. Every time!

Good luck!

Be prepared to do anything to get in, move house, states, etc.

Blownlc
21st May 2012, 09:50 PM
I had the same problem as I'm just out my time of my apprenticeship ( boilermaker). So instead of a mine site I went and worked in a mine town (rockhampton) Payed heaps more than brisbane and I gained the experience I needed as it was related to mining.
Use seek and career one to find jobs and take anything. If you don't know anyone in the mines it's hard so tickets and more tickets help. I have trade papers ewp fork overhead crane work at heights confined space blue card and generic coal induction.
You get paid big bucks but the life style isn't for everyone so they employ people who have spent thier own money so they know they are serious about sticking it out

The biggest thing for me is the young family as mentioned. To pick them all up and move interstate with the hope of gaining employment isn't ideal, nor is the idea of me going up on my own for what could potentially be an extended period before I could lock something in. If I were a single man it would simple.

I hate to admit it but I should have been an electrician.:icon_bonk: no offense to all you sparkies out there. :smile:

Blownlc
21st May 2012, 09:58 PM
x2 the lifestyle isn't for everyone!

Check out the mining giants websites weekly for traineeships in mining, operators etc.

Not the traineeship type pay you may be thinking.

Shift work sux at times. You can guarantee the thing you really want to do on the weekend is when your rostered on. Every time!

Good luck!

Be prepared to do anything to get in, move house, states, etc.

When you say mining giants I assume you mean BHP,Rio Tinto, etc.

the evil twin
21st May 2012, 10:06 PM
2 of my kids are FIFO from Perth. They both cracked the 'big' companies the same way. After heaps of resumes to the mining companies with rarely even a reply they signed up to labour hire agencies.

Within a few weeks they had their first starts with the bottom of the food chain IE the subbies to the subbies, within a couple of swings they were hired by the "grubbie subbies" and within another 6 to 12months were hired by the "big guys".

That method has worked for lots of people as you just need get a FIFO job (any FIFO) on top of your resume and all of a sudden the firms will start to call you in for interviews if you don't get cherry picked on site.

The companies really value their employees but won't risk even talking to 'outsiders' except in exceptional circumstances or dumb luck. They let the subbies be the filtering method as the turn over is huge when people realise they get paid exactly the same but to earn 3 times as much you work 3 times the hours.

7 and 7 is rare and is more often an oil and gas rota, my kids are on 4 and 1 which is common exploration/construction swings over here and 2 and 1 is common for production. They work 13 days then an RDO to nearest pub then another 13 days then a week off.

My daughters first shift she was the only one who lasted the 4 weeks out of 4 newbies, 1 got straight back on the plane he flew in on, 1 got sacked after 5 days and the other got on a plane on his RDO. The 'Rio's, BHP's, Chevron's, FMG's' see this every day of every week so they can be VERY reluctant to talk to people other than specified fields who haven't got runs on the board.

Good luck but I can't think of a worse employment for a young family. Our extended family is a tad different as DIL and granddaughter live with us and daughter is single no kids.

nissannewby
21st May 2012, 10:08 PM
Mate im a diesel fitter by trade so was a little easier. There are a bunch of companys up here who supply labour to the mines and have their own workshops in mackay. I know others who are working in the hunter region on the same dollars as up here in QLD It seems to be up here you get a 7 and 7 roster or what they call a lifestyle roster which is 4 days on 5 days off 5 days on 4 days off The majority are even time up here. In SA and WA you can get longer rosters like 2 weeks on 1 week off etc which is good for the $$$$.

Blownlc
21st May 2012, 10:35 PM
Twin: I agree, the hours your kids are doing arent for someone like me. I think it's going to take a lot of searching and a stack of dumb luck.

Newby: queensland is my main target as I have heard the rosters are better as you have mentioned. The fella I bought my rig off is working in a new mine in mackay. He has also mentioned that the rosters seem to be better in the eastern states.

Ive been wondering though, who is installing/ maintaining the ventilation systems for the underground mines and any pipelines that may be required for under ground and open cut mines? I haven't seen any positions advertised for such jobs.

nissannewby
21st May 2012, 10:39 PM
These will more than likely come under what they call infrastructure possibly look for this in a sub heading when searching for jobs.

Rip'n'Shred
21st May 2012, 10:50 PM
The hunter valley is more of a residential roles. Even time rosters, usually 12 hours or so, 2 shifts on, 2 shifts off, 3 shifts on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off, etc ongoing. Work every 2nd weekend, alternate day and night shifts.

Usually have to live within 1hr of work for fatigue reasons.

Some do 8 hr and some 10hr, but not many.

BHP, rio tinto, xstrata, thiess, vale, etc

Contractors are daracon, pegasus, etc. check phone book.

Richo460
22nd May 2012, 06:05 AM
Hey mate, i too am in mining, i am a boilermaker/rigger and somehow ended up FIFO to Egypt 6/3 (weeks). Getting FIFO is not easy, often you have to know someone or just get lucky. Working for a contractor is definately the way to go. As a plumber there would be opportunities working for the mobs that run the camps. Compass group, which own ESS run alot of mining camps or you can try the construction companies.
http://www.gorgonjobs.kjv.com.au/ is a good one to start.

I have noticed that most of the jobs advertised are for sparkies and diesel fitters. I have had no luck applying for jobs from seek, it got me no where. Applying online with the big mobs got me no where as well, i have wasted alot of time on the job application things for rio, mmg, bhp. The recruitment and labor hire places are the go. You can get FIFO in WA on 8-6 rosters. Olymic Dam in SA might be a good one to aim for as its one of the closest to you.

I am in hardrock mining, never done coal but have done lots of construction. If you are not afraid of hard work then you can try the reline mobs, they contract in for shutdowns and they change all the wear liners inside ball and sag mills, its a shit job but can take you to all parts of the world. Problem is it won't be consistent work. TME and Pacific Relines (Ativo) are two i can think of that do this. Any contracting company is worth a go. I did shutdowns for ages before getting something more permanent. Clemments is another one i can think of that recruit for big projects.

Another thing that may be useful is the "Shutdown Monitor" online newsletter. It costs i think $88 a year and has info on mining and constrcution projects around australia. Could be useful to find out who has contracts for what.

The thing with mining is that you work the hours. I have had alot of jobs that the hourly rate is pretty crap but when you do 7x12hr shifts it seems better.

All in all though i bloody hate the mining industry in australia. There are alot of wankers, alot of people who are there because their daddy is the big cheese and alot of people who will stab you in the back at first opportunity. Maybe i just had bad times with BHP and a few other companies. Expat is ok cause it cuts out alot of the over the top safety bullcrap and we just get on with it, but i know when i come home i will not be going mining. Construction all the way.

Good luck with it all anyway, it is nice to have the beans to blow on cars. This job paid to get my XB hardtop painted. After 9 years of no progress it is finally painted and getting pieced back together. Now if only i had the time.

The money i am earning can't buy my youth back.

Blownlc
22nd May 2012, 07:38 AM
The hunter valley is more of a residential roles. Even time rosters, usually 12 hours or so, 2 shifts on, 2 shifts off, 3 shifts on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off, etc ongoing. Work every 2nd weekend, alternate day and night shifts.

Usually have to live within 1hr of work for fatigue reasons.

Some do 8 hr and some 10hr, but not many.

BHP, rio tinto, xstrata, thiess, vale, etc

Contractors are daracon, pegasus, etc. check phone book.

Seems like the back door is going to be the easiest way in. Although the hours aren't an issue the roster probably isn't going to be practical givin my family situation. I'll make some calls to the above mentioned companies today and see what comes of it.

I am wondering now though if financially its the best option. I'm making $43 an hour here in melb and I'm home by 3:30 most days. I hear stories of blokes making anywhere from $140k right up to $205k per annum. How much truth is in this?

Thanks gents for all your input.

Blownlc
22nd May 2012, 07:41 AM
All in all though i bloody hate the mining industry in australia. There are alot of wankers, alot of people who are there because their daddy is the big cheese and alot of people who will stab you in the back at first opportunity. Maybe i just had bad times with BHP and a few other companies. Expat is ok cause it cuts out alot of the over the top safety bullcrap and we just get on with it, but i know when i come home i will not be going mining. Construction all the way.

Good luck with it all anyway, it is nice to have the beans to blow on cars. This job paid to get my XB hardtop painted. After 9 years of no progress it is finally painted and getting pieced back together. Now if only i had the time.

The money i am earning can't buy my youth back.

Sounds a lot like the construction industry here in melb. Plenty of dogs trying to climb the ladder faster or riding on the back of someone else.

Richo460
22nd May 2012, 08:29 AM
Yeah there is always someone trying to bust you doing the wrong thing or telling the boss your hopeless to make them sound better.

$43 and hour is good for working in town. I know people earning less than that, flat rate, doing FIFO shutdowns. I would be asking the boss for a bit of overtime rather than going mining. I spend 6 weeks in the desert of southern Egypt supervising a maintenance crew and my hourly rate isn't a whole lot better than that. If i could get $40/hr in Cairns i would be booking a flight asap.

There are people earning 140k + but it varies alot. depends the job, the mine and the roster. The week on week off rosters would be 100-120k i would guess. Some places do give a healthy bonus too.

On job i hadn't thought of is an operator, not of the trucks or excavators but of the plant. I work in a gold processing plant and there are quite a few operators running the place making sure pumps are running, valves are open in the right places, checking all that sort of stuff, basically running the plant. There is no trade for it so anyone can do it.

wherethehellarewe
22nd May 2012, 09:30 AM
Sorry to hijack into this thread but i'm also diesel mechanic that has been in the aviation industry for the last 5 years. My job has just been shut down in Melbourne at Qantas and i'm wanting to go back to the big spanners. Does anyone know of any Gas turbine work in the mines? i'm looking to step it up from what i used to do in the Maint workshops and get on the bigger stuff. Cheers

nissannewby
22nd May 2012, 10:42 AM
43/hr is pretty good. I know the fitters up here on the sites i know about are pushing nearly 140k but you do have to remember this is only half a years work. I havent heard anythin bad about expat work and theres plenty in new guinea and places like that but there rosters are like 15/13 (days). Good luck with all mate hoepfully some of the info here is advantageous to you.

Richo460
22nd May 2012, 10:53 AM
Sorry to hijack into this thread but i'm also diesel mechanic that has been in the aviation industry for the last 5 years. My job has just been shut down in Melbourne at Qantas and i'm wanting to go back to the big spanners. Does anyone know of any Gas turbine work in the mines? i'm looking to step it up from what i used to do in the Maint workshops and get on the bigger stuff. Cheers

not that i have seen mate, our site runs big diesel generators. Coal fired Power station work is your best bet for big stuff.

Expat stuff is ok, New Guniea can have good rosters but the place is not real nice, might be better now than it was though. There are mines in Indo, Loas and those places which are awesome and very hard to get into. Expat wages are usually from about 160 - 200 before tax, some alos give very good bonuses and retention bonuses. I've been overseas for 18 months and i am aching to get back home. I get 6 breaks a year and they usually are 2 weeks actually at home. I know blokes doing 9 weeks on 3 weeks off. Some mines in Africa do 12 on 3 off but they will get your whole family there in a house.

Blownlc
22nd May 2012, 03:16 PM
It is good coin I know. But the ability to be home with the kids for five days every second week while they a young is one of the pro's to it. And the money of course. The idea is that for three years I work in the mines to put a big dent in the mortgage. Intern shortening the time it will take for us to buy our rural property. As I said, that's the idea.

I'll have a crack at ringing some of the places you guys have mentioned as well as getting on the blower to to a few other people I know, as see what comes of it.

I would like to say a BIG thanks for all your input, info and advise. I'll keep you posted if something comes of it.

Cheers Boys!
Stu

White Elephant
22nd May 2012, 03:55 PM
Hey mate i work in the mines myself and they are hard to get into unless your a diesel fitter or hv sparky. Your best bet is to apply for any sort of position with a mining company as getting your foot in the door will be the hardest part of it all but once your in you are set and can move around to different positions and then onto other sites until you find a roster/pay setup that works for you. There are mines in SA which dont require as much to get in as the ones do up here in QLD and NSW is also easier to get into as well have a look in the hunter valley region. Also dont be affraid to apply with contractors who do all there work for mine sites as a lot of full time positions in the mines are given to people who are already out there so if your there with a contractor it only increases your chances. Hope this helps.

What nissannewby said. I work for an engineering company that service the mining industry globally, everyone that I speak to reckons your best bet is to get your foot in the door in the first instance, then it's on and upwards from there!

waz65
22nd May 2012, 05:40 PM
On job i hadn't thought of is an operator, not of the trucks or excavators but of the plant. I work in a gold processing plant and there are quite a few operators running the place making sure pumps are running, valves are open in the right places, checking all that sort of stuff, basically running the plant. There is no trade for it so anyone can do it.
Not quite as easy as just walking in either as I have been a process operator for over 20 years , A lot of companies that have processing plants want experienced op's also ,
BTW i did 5 years FIFO at Century Mine in NW queensland before my current job

wildgu6
22nd May 2012, 06:48 PM
Hey buddy, mate at work looking into mine work as well, boss is in the know and got this reply from one of his contacts,

need to get on Exact minings website ( http://www.exactmining.com.au/ ) and apply on line there are fn heaps of jobs, or Thiess Mining.
Truckdrivers / labourers 100K +
Most jobs are Fly in Fly out on various mine sites throughout Australia.

Not sure if this has come up yet as havent read the thread right through but maybe this can help.

macca86
23rd May 2012, 03:31 AM
Seems like the back door is going to be the easiest way in. Although the hours aren't an issue the roster probably isn't going to be practical givin my family situation. I'll make some calls to the above mentioned companies today and see what comes of it.

I am wondering now though if financially its the best option. I'm making $43 an hour here in melb and I'm home by 3:30 most days. I hear stories of blokes making anywhere from $140k right up to $205k per annum. How much truth is in this?

Mate I was in town doing 6x 12 hr shifts 2weeks days 2 weeks nights and took home after tax 1800 and 2400 ($39 per hr casual plus overtime rates meal dirt and heat allowances) a week with penalties and laha That is after tax. Was paying about 700 to 1000 a week in tax and working in town no time off so that figure is easy to get. It really depends on your skill set and roster say you do 7 days on 7 days off remember you only get paid for what you work so the 3000 a week working is only 1500 a week but then you're not having to work all year.
I only stopped as we saved enough for my wedding and fix the car and I hurt my back otherwise I would still be there. After the wedding I'll be seeking new employment.

Richo460
23rd May 2012, 03:32 AM
Hi Waz65
Yeah i realise that its definately experience with being an op, but it might be easier to get a start if the qualifications are not allowing them to get into the maintenance or managment. I haven't seen many ops that weren't extremely experienced so i dunno how you'd go getting a start, but its like that in every role in the mines. Its just an option that not many people think about, everyone just thinks about driving trucks. Being an op isn't that easy either, you gotta know the process back to front, gotta know all about reagents, flotation, milling and chemistry. I didn't mean to make it sound simple, its just that there is no ticket or trade for it, but i think that might be changing ion the future.

I am a maintenance supervisor overseas running a gold plant and i can't even get a job back home on the tools, its 95% who you know. I have been very lucky. Persistence does pay off. Alot of people can't handle it, or the wife/gf can't handle it. I am not married, no kids and have had alot of relationship trouble because of it.

8-6 or 7-7 is a great roster, more time with the kids and for projects. I too am trying to pay off my rural property.
All the best with it all

nissannewby
24th May 2012, 09:53 PM
Hey mate try UGL they seem to have a lot of blokes around

Richo460
25th May 2012, 09:15 AM
Also DownerEDI, they have alot of fifo stuff going on and not just mining.

waz65
25th May 2012, 05:46 PM
Hi Waz65
Yeah i realise that its definately experience with being an op, but it might be easier to get a start if the qualifications are not allowing them to get into the maintenance or managment. I haven't seen many ops that weren't extremely experienced so i dunno how you'd go getting a start, but its like that in every role in the mines. Its just an option that not many people think about, everyone just thinks about driving trucks. Being an op isn't that easy either, you gotta know the process back to front, gotta know all about reagents, flotation, milling and chemistry. I didn't mean to make it sound simple, its just that there is no ticket or trade for it, but i think that might be changing ion the future.

I am a maintenance supervisor overseas running a gold plant and i can't even get a job back home on the tools, its 95% who you know. I have been very lucky. Persistence does pay off. Alot of people can't handle it, or the wife/gf can't handle it. I am not married, no kids and have had alot of relationship trouble because of it.

8-6 or 7-7 is a great roster, more time with the kids and for projects. I too am trying to pay off my rural property.
All the best with it all
All good mate , I was just making people aware that it wasn't just a walk up start being a process op at the mines either , the media has a lot to answer for with all the stories of all these so many 1000's of job in the mines making out that all you have to do is apply and the jobs yours ( there's never any mention of experience that's needed )
And it's not an easy job to do , you work hard and are away from your family , I was lucky as my wife was working shift work at Townsville airport when i did FIFO and my kids are all grown up at the time it was easier for me to do mine work without family pressures

boots
25th May 2012, 05:59 PM
Heard on the radio news today government have just allowed 1700 mining jobs in the pillbarra to outsource from overseas . the beginning of the end is near ?

Rip'n'Shred
26th May 2012, 12:24 AM
Hey mate try UGL they seem to have a lot of blokes around

In the hunter valley UGL are underground only. You would definitely need experience to get a job underground. I had underground experience but not in coal and didn't even get a look in.

nissannewby
26th May 2012, 02:43 AM
Yeah UGL up here supplies people for everything from TA's to operators, boilermakers, fitters etc and as far as im aware both open cut and underground.

Richo460
26th May 2012, 05:39 AM
I think the media definately have alot to answer for. They make up all sorts of crap. I hope the 1700 overseas jobs is not true. I can't see how the overseas workers will have the same safety standards as what is expected in Aus. I'm guessing they are talking about getting in people from the phillipines and thailand as they work hard and still have the skills, but with safety and language barriers i can't see them getting into the mining industry easily.

UGL, Monodelpheous, DownerEDI, Theiss, John Holland, Workpac

NissanGQ4.2
26th May 2012, 06:17 AM
Hey buddy, mate at work looking into mine work as well, boss is in the know and got this reply from one of his contacts,

need to get on Exact minings website ( http://www.exactmining.com.au/ ) and apply on line there are fn heaps of jobs, or Thiess Mining.
Truckdrivers / labourers 100K +
Most jobs are Fly in Fly out on various mine sites throughout Australia.

Not sure if this has come up yet as havent read the thread right through but maybe this can help.

Pete, your link didn't go anywhere so I took a guess at the website.................. No jobs listed on website itself, it just directs you to Seek's website filtering "Exact Mining Services".

Not that many on there @ the moment

Cheers

Todd

Ben-e-boy
26th May 2012, 06:28 AM
Hi all,

After a lot of though and deliberation I have decided that the only way to fast track my ambitions, is to make a career change. Whether this be temporary or permanent only time will tell.

I'm looking and gaining employment within the mining sector, but with so many different mining companies, locations and mine types, I am unsure where to start. I have looked into a couple of agencies but have been put off by the fact that they want several hundred dollars up front and do not mention anything about actually obtaining positions for clients.

I have a young family and am located in Victoria so I'm looking for something that is FIFO. I'm a mechanical plumber by trade (heating, airconditioning and ventilation) with extensive experience in industrial scale mechanical services as well as managerial experience in the industry.

Basically I'm wondering if any of you fine gentlemen can point me in the right direction of who to contact or where I should be looking?

Many Thanks

Stu

Mate,

I think the best way for you to get in is either with a contractor or try a site service mob. Im a sparky and I cover both the fixed plant and the camp working for a contractor. with your trade going in for camp maintenance IMO is your best bet. At our camp we have, Chippies,concretors,a plumber(not full time) fridgy, and me.

Blownlc
5th June 2012, 08:28 PM
I would definately be willing to work in the camps, I'm not phased about whether I'm actually working in a mining role or not, as long as the money is similar. I think the best way in, is as one of the other boys mentioned, starting off with a subbie of a subbie and climbing the rope through contacts made along the way. It seems to be the case with a lot of people I have spoken to.