PDA

View Full Version : MAF sensor

sketty
20th May 2012, 06:34 PM
Has Nissan over the years ever updated the MAF sensor ? Just curious if there has been any changes over the years or is it the same as was fitted to the first 3.0 litre motors. Do people carry spare MAF sensors or is that over kill.

Cheers Chris.

Rusty86
20th May 2012, 07:08 PM
I believe it was changed after '04 or maybe after series IV. Have a look here http://www.nizzbits.com.au/index.php?cPath=1_13 it looks like there was a different one for series IV onwards and a different one for series II and III.

I've just gone through some boost problems where the MAF could've been the problem. I ended up testing (then buying) buying a new one and keeping my old one, which did have a fair bit of build up on it and potentially would run into problems down the track (although still was reading correct voltage), so I'll keep that as a spare.

I would say it's definitely not overkill, especially if you were doing a lot of remote touring, as the MAF can cause a variety of problems, and a quick change to cancel out one possibility of a problem is worth it I reckon.

Not sure how many people carry a spare but a few knowledgeable members recommended it too me so I'm glad I've got my old one for peace of mind.

Cheers,
Rusty

sketty
21st May 2012, 07:35 AM
Thanks Rusty. Do you have to buy the MAF sensors from Nissan or are there after market ones.

Rusty86
21st May 2012, 09:14 AM
No worries mate, not sure if you can buy aftermarket MAFs (haven't heard of it) but I personally would buy genuine anyway for something like this. Garry from Nizzbits is great to deal with, and these prices on the MAFs are generally much cheaper than you'd get through a normal workshop and definitely a dealer. Email to order, transfer $$ electronically and he'll post it out.

You could have a search for any aftermarket products.

Cheers