PDA

View Full Version : Lockers or Lift??????

Thirsty
20th May 2012, 03:42 PM
Most people have a minimum lift of 2". What would you prefer to spend your hard earned cash on 4"+ suspension or lockers (when waying it up), theres not a major cost difference when fitting the suspension properly with all the correct components.

I made my decision and went with lockers. This way I keep it with in the legal requirements with height and increase the offroad ability.

What are your thoughts?????

growler2058
20th May 2012, 03:46 PM
Auto lokka $400 + 4" lift woo hoo go anywhere

Tapp tillya Crap

Thirsty
20th May 2012, 03:54 PM
Auto lokka $400 + 4" lift woo hoo go anywhere

Tapp tillya Crap

If you could install the lokka yourself (fair call) But for those who can't, it would push the price up further.

Rusty86
20th May 2012, 04:19 PM
If you've already got a 2-3" lift I'd definitely go lockers, there wouldn't be much you wouldn't be able to do

scotty83
20th May 2012, 04:23 PM
Legal is an issue in QLD. It seems really restrictive hear considering the amount of bush tracks we have in this state. I am looking at the locker next as i already have the 2" lift. probably front only at this stage and rely on the LSD rear.

Gas_Guzzler4800
20th May 2012, 04:36 PM
if you already have a 2" lift, go for a front locker

NissanGQ4.2
20th May 2012, 04:52 PM
Wouldn't most terrain that requires a locker require one to have more than a 2 inch lift anyway. Whats the point of a locker if ur got a sh!t suspension setup????

I personally would go for a 4inch lift and get it done correctly and legally.

Worry about a locker down the track

growler2058
20th May 2012, 04:56 PM
Lokka Lokka Lokka Lokka $400 trust me :-)

Tapp tillya Crap

Rusty86
20th May 2012, 05:00 PM
Depends what you want to do. For touring and still pretty serious 4X4 a 2" lift and 33" tyres will get you most places, and with the good Nissan LSD add a front locker and you'll be near unstoppable. If you're after a more extreme truck then I may look at it differently.

Gas_Guzzler4800
20th May 2012, 05:28 PM
people are slowly coming to the realisation that you dont need 7" lift to get anywhere. Look at the comp boys, low centre of gravity, good articulation and most of all, twin locked with good rubber

You could also look at a flexy coil setup, I run a 3" flexy coil lift with 6-7" shocks. So at static resting height it is only 3" but flexes like a 6 or 7" kit

97_gq_lwb
20th May 2012, 05:47 PM
locka your always limited by the diff clearance .
So if your current tyres have enough clearance i see no point in a lift.
I am going 2 suspension 2 body.
Just enough to clear 35 inch tyres.

Thirsty
20th May 2012, 06:55 PM
Some great comments. Between the two options whats better value for money? Whats going to get you further for your dollar? (for the everyday weekend warrior or the general tourer). Most people that would run into this decision are not building comp trucks. Interesting point that was brought up was that comp trucks are running lower lifts. Does this reflect the everyday enthuisist? I think so!!

My opinion is why break the law, when i beleive you could go just as far as a 4" or 6" lifted truck, if you had front and rear lockers and 2"lift which is pretty much standard height these days.(again thats my opinion).

I'm sure most people have had that moment where they had followed a big lifted truck with there reasonably standard truck and was surprised how easily you followed. I know I have. Sure theres always going to be that big rock step or deep rutted out tracks that prove to hard, but would a truck that is higher make it? perhaps the rock step, not necessarily the rutted out track.

Thanks for your opinions

04OFF
20th May 2012, 07:45 PM
The other thing to consider, is how much road driving do you do ?

Most people do more driving on road than off, lockers (switchable or auto) are not detrimental to road driving, where as big lift certainly can be.

Chris79
20th May 2012, 10:49 PM
Im not afraid to say that I was embarrassed by an independent front end landcruiser that was locked on 33's back when I was unlocked with a nice flexy 4" lift and 35" tyres.
Of course the table turns if diff or body clearance comes into the equasion, but I will always go lockers first from now on.
I have also seen locked cars on a/t tyres go further than a similar unlocked setup running m/t tyres, and this was in very muddy conditions.
lockers realy do make a lot difference.

Cheers

megatexture
21st May 2012, 01:14 AM
id meet in the middle and go a 2" with auto lokka in front but also agree with gas_guzz with the longer shocks

MudRunnerTD
21st May 2012, 10:12 AM
ITs all about the 3 "T"s

1. Traction
2. Traction
3. TRACTION!

You can have as much clearance as you like, without traction you aint going anywhere.

If you already have a 2" lift then you have clearance to allow for your first Traction Aid - Good Tyres!
Your suspension is there only to provide travel and support. Rideability. Heavy Duty Suspension, generally a 2" lift will provide a strong upgrade to weaker factory products.

Traction = Tyres (The right Tyres for the job at hand)
Traction = Lockers

Lockers in a Heart beat. Front one first if you can only buy one.

Richo460
21st May 2012, 11:55 AM
2" lift, front locker, diff breathers and 33" muddies and you will get nearly anywhere. The lokkas at $400 is gonna be the best thing you put in the trol. 2" lift will keep it really nice on the road. If you want more lift later then just do a 2" body lift. You could prob get away with the lift, locker and muds for about 2 grand.

89gqpatrol4x4
21st May 2012, 06:47 PM
I have not long bought my gq, and the first thing I did was put a snorkle in it and had front and rear air lockers fitted. ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!. I can go nearly everywhere on 31 inch tyres and standard suspension. Yeah I have to put more thought into my lines, but get the lockers. Also 4wd action did a massive comparioson not so long ago on which was more benificial between lockers, tyres, supension etc. They two came up with lockers. lockers are the best money I have ever spent!

bordertech
24th May 2012, 08:06 PM
Im not afraid to say that I was embarrassed by an independent front end landcruiser that was locked on 33's back when I was unlocked with a nice flexy 4" lift and 35" tyres.
Of course the table turns if diff or body clearance comes into the equasion, but I will always go lockers first from now on.
I have also seen locked cars on a/t tyres go further than a similar unlocked setup running m/t tyres, and this was in very muddy conditions.
lockers realy do make a lot difference.

CheersNot always, I embarrassed an 80 series Sahara owner once. He had front and rear factory lockers, 2" lift, 33" all terrains.
I had 6" lift, 35" MT's, and factory rear locker. Both went through same hole. We both had to pull out before the end of the mud muck hole to avoid a tree, he struggled and after 8 goes he got out, I got through and out 1st go. I don't understand why the 80 struggled, we both had enough clearance underneath and I went through first even packing it down and making a bit a bit easier for him.

NissanGQ4.2
24th May 2012, 09:31 PM
ITs all about the 3 "T"s

1. Traction
2. Traction
3. TRACTION!

You can have as much clearance as you like, without traction you aint going anywhere.

Works the other way around 2 doesn't it Darren?

You can have as much traction as you like, but without clearance you won't be going anywhere with out doing damage.

MQ MAD
25th May 2012, 12:03 PM
Some great comments. Between the two options whats better value for money? Whats going to get you further for your dollar? (for the everyday weekend warrior or the general tourer). Most people that would run into this decision are not building comp trucks. Interesting point that was brought up was that comp trucks are running lower lifts. Does this reflect the everyday enthuisist? I think so!!

My opinion is why break the law, when i beleive you could go just as far as a 4" or 6" lifted truck, if you had front and rear lockers and 2"lift which is pretty much standard height these days.(again thats my opinion).

I'm sure most people have had that moment where they had followed a big lifted truck with there reasonably standard truck and was surprised how easily you followed. I know I have. Sure theres always going to be that big rock step or deep rutted out tracks that prove to hard, but would a truck that is higher make it? perhaps the rock step, not necessarily the rutted out track.

Thanks for your opinions
A good driver who knows his/her car well and knows how to drive will generally go better and further than an incompedant /inexperienced driver with all the goodies
Its been proven many times many inexperienced and unknowledged drivers get unstuck more often with all the gear than those who know what they are doin with minimal gear

Me id go a locker front and rear , bitta lift and decent tyres
Doesnt matter what you do or have if your a idiot at play time , you can get stuck anytime,anywhere

Bob
25th May 2012, 12:36 PM
I have never had a Lift in any of the 4WD's that I have had over the last 20 years and have driven over most of Victoria's High Country. Pick your Lines and with good Tyres you will go most places.
Have to agree that Lockers would definately be an advantage.