PDA

View Full Version : Power / Economy Mods for 4.8 Auto??

oncedisturbed
20th May 2012, 12:20 AM
WAAAASSSSUPPPPP Honkies

Ok been going through here, other forums, net etc trying to work what would be the most beneficial mods to do to increase economy without losing too much on the power side of things

Haven't got a heap of coin available at this stage so like most, the eagle eye is working overtime for bargains etc so am leaning towards the following;
1- Exhaust swap - 2.5 - 3"
2 - power module - know what they do but have no idea what are available for a petrol jobby or if any are available
3 - Turbo - big $$ and will look at later down the track

As most know i am fairly new to whole Patrol world so any further info or better option, feel free to post away to help out a nOOblet :1087:

Clunk
20th May 2012, 12:25 AM
Strip it bare of anything non essential, like all seats (not drivers, that's just daft..... someone gotta drive) cut the roof off, take the doors off, bonnet, fenders............ umm anything else?

oncedisturbed
20th May 2012, 01:00 AM
thought about cutting the roof off as well but don't like getting wet or smacked in the face with bugs lolol

Cheeky bugger lol

Clunk
20th May 2012, 01:20 AM
thought about cutting the roof off as well but don't like getting wet or smacked in the face with bugs lolol

Cheeky bugger lol

Sorry man, couldn't resist lol

Hope someone will be able to give you a much better and more sensible answer

nissannewby
20th May 2012, 11:06 PM
You could look at a mod for the torque converter lock up im not sure if one exists for these boxes but basically the more the torque converter is locked it will be more fuel efficient. Maybe talk to wholesale automatics maybe something along the lines of a manualised valve with a tc lock up switch placed in the cab. As said it might not be doable but an idea none the less.

oncedisturbed
21st May 2012, 09:33 AM
I got sent an email once i find it for a throttle lock mod and the manual cruise control mod, will post them up when i can as well

bushytas
24th May 2012, 11:03 AM
I got sent an email once i find it for a throttle lock mod and the manual cruise control mod, will post them up when i can as well

The throttle lock mod would be interesting I miss not being able to lock it on when climbing hills in low range. It would be good if you could override the factory cruise control to engage from 1kmh

oncedisturbed
24th May 2012, 11:55 AM
Will post when I get a chance, trying to get the economy mod re-written to more laymans terms as the email I got to lock open the PVA (power valve actuator) is all over the place. results will give upto 25% increase in economy, full torque range and reduce the cruise control from bouncing through gears as much

Bloggsy
24th May 2012, 12:14 PM
I did this mod (PVA) about 18 months ago. I found that it was a little more repsonsive and smoother on take off. Also when using the cruise control whilst going up a hill it doesn't floor it like before the mod, more a steady increase in revs. Unfortunately for me it made no difference to the fuel economy. I think from memory people with the later model 4.8 autos (mine's a 2003) reported better fuel economy.

oncedisturbed
24th May 2012, 01:16 PM
Bloggsy, Any chance you have a layman's write up at all i could follow or catch up sometime and give us a few pointers?

Bloggsy
24th May 2012, 02:04 PM
Bloggsy, Any chance you have a layman's write up at all i could follow or catch up sometime and give us a few pointers?

All I have is a document with Jay's original post and instructions and then a post by Greg showing the location of the actuator cabled tied and then the location of the solennoid (you'll see a plug in the pic which I just disconnected and wrapped up in insulation tape). If you like PM me your email and I'll send the doc to you. It's real easy (even for me haha!!) to do once you see the pics.

Cheers,
Darren