PDA

View Full Version : Starter problems

luvpsi
19th May 2012, 09:20 PM
Hey guys I been having what think are starter problems it will click when turn key but not start after giving it a clout it will start but today after a trip to power lines it won't start just clicks is this starter or something else

the ferret
19th May 2012, 10:06 PM
Sounds like the solenoid mate unless you have dirty or loose terminals or a bad earth at the engine block.
Yendor will probably be along soon, he's the Guru when it comes down to starters, or anything auto electrical for that matter.
Cheers, the ferret.

luvpsi
19th May 2012, 10:16 PM
Cheers mate and thanks for the light bracket got it Thursday fitted it yesterday Great product

luvpsi
19th May 2012, 10:17 PM
Oh by the way I can see the solonoid arm moving as the plastic casing is a bit broken

Ade
19th May 2012, 10:23 PM
Like the ferret said mate, maybe you got loose terminals or weak battery?

luvpsi
19th May 2012, 10:27 PM
Checked them terminals are fine but could be battery as it did seem to slow down a bit

Ade
19th May 2012, 10:31 PM
If you dont have a multitester to check the battery, try to jump start the motor and see if there is any the difference.

luvpsi
19th May 2012, 10:35 PM
Yeah I might try that where on the td42 is the earth on block

luvpsi
19th May 2012, 10:36 PM
I'm leaning either towards battery or brushes in starter as like I mentioned normaly I can hit the starter and it cranks

the ferret
20th May 2012, 12:05 AM
If the starter cranks with a whiz, then it's the solenoid, the earth strap is bolted to the engine block (black cable)
No problem with the light bracket, glad you like it, chuck a picture up if you like, I might be able to use it on Ebay lol.
Cheers, the ferret.

luvpsi
20th May 2012, 12:11 AM
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff450/luvpsi/9b89295b.jpg

there you go

ill have a play with the wires tomorrow after washing engine bay as still covered in mud and when i can actually see what im doing if no luck ill try jump starting and go from there

the ferret
20th May 2012, 12:32 AM
Good pic mate cheers.
You may find that if you've been playing in mud, that the starter is choked up, might pay to pull it off and clean it out before you melt it!!
Cheers, the ferret.

luvpsi
20th May 2012, 12:45 AM
i dunno how to lol

Yendor
20th May 2012, 09:20 AM
Good chance your starter motor is full of mud. It may only need a good clean out and possible the brushes and bearings replaced.

It would also be a good idea to fit a relay to the starter motor to overcome any voltage drop in the wiring and ignition switch.

luvpsi
20th May 2012, 11:52 AM
yeah i might just get it rebuilt as i wouldnt have a clue how to rebuild it

luvpsi
20th May 2012, 06:30 PM
ok so today i have tried jump starting it with a fully charged jumper i have pulled off my earth sanding the contacts and still nothing so im coming to the conclusion that the starter is dead and in need of a new one as i can still here the starter relay clicking and i can see the arm in solonoid moving as the plastic casing around terminals on solonoid is cracked.

luvpsi
21st May 2012, 08:21 PM
hey guys fixed the problem i put a new starter on it today which was most prob the easiest fix ive done on the old girl so far and now she fires up like dream not a drone nothing. i will be getting the old starter rebuilt and keeping it as a spare as i have a feeling ill prob go through alot of them as i like playing in the mud