PDA

View Full Version : Is a catch-can necessary?

Wetty
19th May 2012, 12:04 AM
Hi All
Just a quickie, getting the ERG and Dawes fitted next week by Robsons in Perth, do I need to fit a catch-can at the same time or can it wait for a while? I cleaned the MAF and intake hoses today and there was not a large amount of oil in them (MAF was clean), but the intercooler was quit oily so I flushed it with shellite and blew air through it.
Cheers
Wetty

nissannewby
19th May 2012, 07:47 AM
In my honest opinion I don't believe they are worth it (this will maybe stir the pot a little) having old crankcase gases going into the intake is only going to hinder performance and create oil issues for your intake it also throws another variable in their if diagnosing oil in the intake after a catch can is fitted. I have both my patrols just breathing to atmosphere ( just my 2c :) )

my third 256
19th May 2012, 08:31 AM
In my honest opinion I don't believe they are worth it (this will maybe stir the pot a little) having old crankcase gases going into the intake is only going to hinder performance and create oil issues for your intake it also throws another variable in their if diagnosing oil in the intake after a catch can is fitted. I have both my patrols just breathing to atmosphere ( just my 2c :) )
i think you are wrong in what you have said because in the gu patrols the pipe from the top of the rocher cover returns to the intakeair pipe and if you look at the air filter it will have deposits of oil on the filter and also on the bottom
also gets onto the maf sensor and this can put the car into limp mode
so imho i do think they are worth it but i wouldnt vent the drain back into the crank case

nissannewby
19th May 2012, 08:53 AM
I know on the 4.2s the breather vents into the vacuum side of the turbo(intake for turbo) is it different on the 3L patrols?

nissannewby
19th May 2012, 09:09 AM
Like he could save himself a lot of money if he breathes the crankcase to atmosphere and blocks off where it use to go in the intake with the same results as fitting a catch can ( no oily air in intake at all) should have worded it better as this is hat I meant by worth it. $10 worth of hose over say 200 for a provent to et the same outcome.

dhuey85
19th May 2012, 09:37 AM
Venting crank case gasses to the atmosphere is illegal. Put a decent catch can on like the prevent 200 and you won't regret it.

Dhuey

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

dhuey85
19th May 2012, 09:41 AM
Venting crank case gasses to the atmosphere is illegal. Put a decent catch can on like the prevent 200 and you won't regret it.

Dhuey

my third 256
19th May 2012, 10:02 AM
all you are doing is putting the catch can inline and it takes out the oil mist then the drain hose is either to atmosphere with a tap on it to drain or plumbed into the crankcase with a non return valve
so you dont get back pressure
im talking about the crd models but there is a lot of threads on here that go into it a lot more for the older models

Rusty86
19th May 2012, 07:19 PM
I caught up with Chaz the other week and he was showing me his catch can, and to demonstrate why it's needed, he took the top off of it and then shut the engine off. A cloud of oily mist came out the top of the can, and this would usually go back and possibly foul the MAF sensor. I would say it's definitely worth it for peace of mind.

Wetty
20th May 2012, 10:14 PM
Thanks everyone for the input, the wagon is off to Robson Bros to get the EGR plated and Dawse fitted. Provent CC on it's way thanks to flea-bay and even though l am not sure l need em, Autron gauges and pillar pod also coming courtesy of flea-bay. Fingers crossed the old girl will thank me for the mods and not have a Nissy fit!
Wetty

dirtaddict
20th May 2012, 10:41 PM
i have one sitting on the bench destined to stay there , no room for it , f*ck the atmosphere you think china and india govern their vehiclels ! we cause bugger all emissoins compared to them and we are gonna be paying carbon tax soon if old fat arse has her way (sorry the greens have their way ) i also ride 2 strokes , use 2 stroke garden gear and smoke winiie red so i`m not concerned about the air

adventurepaul
21st May 2012, 10:43 PM
Thanks everyone for the input, the wagon is off to Robson Bros to get the EGR plated and Dawse fitted. Provent CC on it's way thanks to flea-bay and even though l am not sure l need em, Autron gauges and pillar pod also coming courtesy of flea-bay. Fingers crossed the old girl will thank me for the mods and not have a Nissy fit!
Wetty
I'm in Perth too. Got an Idea of mod costs? Just about to do same to mine. Are they adjusting boost with EGR capped off?

Wetty
22nd May 2012, 10:10 AM
I'm in Perth too. Got an Idea of mod costs? Just about to do same to mine. Are they adjusting boost with EGR capped off?

Looking around $350.00, for a couple of hours work at Robsons, they are fitting the Dawse and blocking the EGR. I will be doing the gauges and catch can myself and they're costing around $800.00 with all the fittings.
Cheers
Wetty

Wetty
22nd May 2012, 09:04 PM
Got the wagon back and must say it is nice to get good old fashioned service..........l even got complimentary chuppa chupps! Anything above my skills and the Robson boys get my work, very happy
Wetty