PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen pulling on vinyl?

Winnie
17th May 2012, 07:06 PM
Just wondering if anybody had had am issue like this. Got my windscreen replaced by O'briens today through insurance and thus was result.

Tappa tappa

Sir Roofy
17th May 2012, 07:16 PM
Mate get them back to fix it ,thats nasty

Winnie
17th May 2012, 07:19 PM
Oh don't you worry they will be coming back to fix it

Tappa tappa

Clunk
17th May 2012, 07:56 PM
Man that's a terrible job, how could anyone leave the work finished like that.... I'd be fuming mate

Taps a lot!!!!!!

Winnie
17th May 2012, 08:52 PM
Yeah I dunno. The bloke had to travel half an hour to do it and it was the last one if the day. Quicker it's done, quicker he gets home.

Tappa tappa

DX grunt
17th May 2012, 08:57 PM
Adding to what I already told you.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Get an email address off your insurance company and send all of them. This will help your case!!!

Rossco

Winnie
17th May 2012, 09:05 PM
Yeah I think I'll speak to O'Brien first and give them the chance to fix it, if not straight to insurance.

Tappa tappa

DX grunt
17th May 2012, 09:11 PM
Yeah I think I'll speak to O'Brien first and give them the chance to fix it, if not straight to insurance.

Tappa tappa
If it's not too far away, you might want to take it to the shop and show the boss, not the worker. Don't leave it too long, otherwise they might accuse you of something.

You need to be really strong and firm with this. I suggest you take a witness (another person) with you, so that it's not your word against his/hers, should you have to take it further to the insurance company.

Rossco

Winnie
17th May 2012, 09:15 PM
They're half an hour away so I can't really get away from work long enough. I will speak to the manager and send him the photos. Will be doing this first thing in the morning.

97_gq_lwb
17th May 2012, 09:23 PM
That's shocking good luck with it surely they will have the decency to fix it.
Can't believe he actually thought he could get away with it.

Clunk
17th May 2012, 10:03 PM
Just don't leave it too long bud...... the long you take the harder it will be to get it sorted. Looking at the pics on me lappy this time, bloody shocking.

Oh and don't take any carp off them either....... tell them you want some one who actually has some experience fitting windows to sort it!!!!!!!

Winnie
17th May 2012, 10:15 PM
I always get burnt when I leave my car with people who are supposed to be professionals. Will do everything I can to get this sorted TOMORROW!

pearcey
17th May 2012, 11:18 PM
I would be ashamed to admit i did a job like that . If you get no satisfaction consumer affairs is the place to go. Most times they Will get the job done.
Best of luck mate.

Winnie
18th May 2012, 08:28 AM
Some more photos if his handy work

Tappa tappa

Winnie
18th May 2012, 08:48 AM
Just spoke to Peter the manager from O'Briens in Sale and he sounded like a top bloke. He said he was disappointed that the fitter didn't take the time to hold the vinyl in place, they guarantee their work and he will send another bloke out today to fix it up.

taslucas
18th May 2012, 09:20 AM
That's good to hear. All the best with the new job!

Tap, crackle, pop

Clunk
18th May 2012, 09:46 AM
Good stuff mate, hope it gets done properly this time

Taps a lot!!!!!!

DX grunt
18th May 2012, 10:03 AM
Just spoke to Peter the manager from O'Briens in Sale and he sounded like a top bloke. He said he was disappointed that the fitter didn't take the time to hold the vinyl in place, they guarantee their work and he will send another bloke out today to fix it up.

Fantastic news for sticking up for yourself and your pride and joy. Thanks to everybody for encouraging this young bloke to persue this.

You've got an investment that's gunna last a long time!!!!!!

Keep those pics on file somewhere and don't lose them.

Again, well done. I'm so happy for you.

Take care out there.

Rossco

Winnie
18th May 2012, 10:48 AM
Thanks so much for your help Rossco.

DX grunt
18th May 2012, 11:03 AM
Thanks so much for your help Rossco.

No worries. Sometimes I might go overboard with advice, but in this case, I don't think so.

Glad this life's experience has given you a bit more confidence to stand up for what you believe in. Don't let being young cause people to walk all over you. Thanks to the Forum members for sticking up for you, too.

We were all young once..... well some of us. lol.

Stand firm in what you believe. You forked out a lot of money for your pride and joy. I don't know a lot about my truck's engine, and pay for everything to be done, so I know how you felt when you saw the workmanship of the windscreen. I probably would have cried. lol

I've learnt a lot from being ripped off. Well done to the store manager for helping you - I'm sure he's made your day.

Take care out there.

Rossco

Winnie
18th May 2012, 12:39 PM
The same bloke who fitted it came and had a look. He says that the lining has been cut before, and then shrunk. He is going to get his boss to come down and do it because he says he is a wizz at it.

Clunk
18th May 2012, 03:57 PM
The same bloke who fitted it came and had a look. He says that the lining has been cut before, and then shrunk. He is going to get his boss to come down and do it because he says he is a wizz at it.

I wonder if that's code for "im not sure how to fix this, so I think I better get someone who knows what they're doing to fix it" ? ........ Maybe he should have done that in the first instance......
Or maybe I might be jumping to conclusions!!!!!! Maybe lol

Hope it gets fixed mate

Taps a lot!!!!!!

Winnie
18th May 2012, 04:16 PM
Nah mate that's definitely what happened... should've heard him on the phone.

"Well my boss showed me this tool that I'm supposed to use but I've never seen it in my life and he says it will work but I don't think it will. But then again he's got 20 years experience on top of me so what do I know?"

GREAT ATTITUDE TO HAVE!!

Winnie
18th May 2012, 04:18 PM
If there's something at work that I'm not sure about, I'll tell my customer that I don't know and I'll ask someone with more experience... that's a LOT less embarrassing than doing it anyway and getting it completely wrong.

Lambroast
18th May 2012, 04:28 PM
I had a similar run in with them in Perth about 18 months ago. Got the winscreen replaced under insurance. The guy pretty much destroyed the window rubber and left large gaps where he couldn't get it to fit properly. All the chrome pieces were just chucked on willy nilly. After telling him I didn't want him to leave it like it was, I rang WOB straight away and got told by the local manager I needed a new rubber @ $400 - None in stk anyway. Stewed for a coupla days then wrote a shittermail to their head office. No email listed so I had to ring their help line and get one. Sent the email with pics of how they had left the windscreen.
Couple days later the local manager rings me offering to fix it at the local branch as long as I contributed something. Ended up paying $100 towards the cost of a new genuine rubber. Got it fixed at the branch.

Although it turned to crap I was happy with the outcome eventually. Best to stand your ground with this kind of stuff..
Would I go back ? Probably. Had 3 dealings with the same branch, 2 of them A1 service, 1 crappy dealing fixed with a bit of push n shove...

Simon

Winnie
18th May 2012, 04:40 PM
Hmm, I was quoted $60 for a new rubber a few months ago, and it was no charge this time with the insurance.

DX grunt
18th May 2012, 05:10 PM
Nah mate that's definitely what happened... should've heard him on the phone.

"Well my boss showed me this tool that I'm supposed to use but I've never seen it in my life and he says it will work but I don't think it will. But then again he's got 20 years experience on top of me so what do I know?"

GREAT ATTITUDE TO HAVE!!

Well done young fella. Is it fixed yet?

Winnie
18th May 2012, 05:16 PM
Nah not happening until Monday. I had two choices, the first bloke could've come back down this afternoon with the correct tool, or I could wait until Monday and the boss man would come down and do it.

DX grunt
18th May 2012, 05:23 PM
Nah not happening until Monday. I had two choices, the first bloke could've come back down this afternoon with the correct tool, or I could wait until Monday and the boss man would come down and do it.

Good stuff. Keep on their case until you wear them down. lol

It's good that you're waiting till Monday to get the boss to do it. That way, it's a win/win situation. The boss may not have given the worker any training in the use of this tool and I'd be surprised if he doesn't get 'personalized' training or re-training - even if it means both of them coming out and the boss showing him how to use it properly. We all have to start learning something, somewhere, sometime.

I don't think he'll make any more mistakes in a hurry after this.

Rossco