PDA

View Full Version : G'day - Andy from Melby

AndyExy
17th May 2012, 06:03 PM
Good mornings smileys,

I usually go by the moniker "Andy".

No, I don't have a Patrol. But certainly thinking of it. And thinking of it. And scheming for it... Maybe sometime in the next year hopefully. Gives me lots of time to read up all about them on here and get an idea for what I'd be getting myself in for.

In terms of future thoughts, the main thing would be probably for the patrol to be set up as a tourer, so I can take junior out to see the country - most of which I haven't seen myself!

In the mean time I'm driving the patrol's little brother - Nissan X-trail. My first foray into operating a diesel, although it does spoil me somewhat - 127kW / 360N.m(2000rpm) tucked into 1500kgs.

My interest has already been caught in the mech threads (I've already done a little sniffing about) because of the vast experience already attained with patrol diesels - the exys are a newcomer to this technology, starting out with a turbo'd CRD.

I successfully managed to put the cart before the horse in this case - got the xtrail and then discovered 4wd'ing. The exy is great and can do a lot, but it does have its limitations, such as no low range. I have already done a couple of mods to it though - 35mm lift (gives 24cm or so under the diffs), 3mm steel bash plates - front, diff and rear end, nudge bar with little drivers. Oh, and AT tyres. The Exy shouldn't be underestimated due to its excess power/torque combined with light weight (but shouldn't be over-estimated either!).

Anyways, looking forward to learning so much from you mob and perhaps occasionally I'll have something I can share back to the community.

Cheerio.
Andy

DX grunt
17th May 2012, 06:23 PM
G'day Andy.

Welcome to the forum and glad you could join us. After 25 posts, you'll be able to access the manuals, and before that,
you'll be able to access a lot of great posts that should help you make your decision.

Take care out there.

Rossco

AndyExy
17th May 2012, 06:31 PM
Thanks for your welcome Rossco. I'm looking forward to the adventure. :)

Bigrig
17th May 2012, 06:41 PM
G'day mate and welcome aboard - great people, information and laughs to be found on here, so join in to make the most of it!!!

Enjoy!!

White Elephant
17th May 2012, 06:54 PM
Welcome to the forum!

AB
17th May 2012, 07:15 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

growler2058
17th May 2012, 07:16 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice

Dhuck
17th May 2012, 07:27 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Finly Owner
18th May 2012, 11:43 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Andy

Tim

Roosta
19th May 2012, 08:27 AM
Hi, I'm new, I'm hoping that the forum will give me heaps of helpful tips and maybe some updated manuals. The forum looks great with heaps of nice tricked out patrols. Already got some great ideas for my gu ute. My old man has had just about every model of patrol built. No wonder I'm a fan. Patrols make great tourers especially utes with pop top/ pop of units on the tray.

AndyExy
19th May 2012, 09:37 AM
Gee, you are a friendly bunch, aren't you! :)

Always a good thing. Being welcoming happy folk. One other many forum I haunt, for Australian Xtrails, is also a great place to be. I guess I'm very spoiled coming across such friendly and helpful communities.

A nut house? Even better! Suits me to a tee. :)

Hadn't thought about a ute for touring. Do they come as dual cabs?

At the moment I'm enjoying trawling through the 4x4 safety part of the forum. Probably should be a compulsory first stop for newbies.
I'm currently "in discussions" with Nissan regarding the front recovery point on my xtrail (I already have a hitch billet/shackle set up for the rear). Which is described in the owners manual as used for recover from sand, mud etc - you know the words. I wrote to them, but of course they didn't write back, instead had one of their customer relations staff call me. Poor girl didn't know anything beyond the script she had been given to read and was a waste of time to try and have a meaningful discussion.

Just realised I was in rambling on more and more then. Probably should stop before anyone is snoring into their keyboards.

Thanks again for your welcome!
AndyP

AndyExy
19th May 2012, 09:41 AM
PS: if you see a "flint" (brownish, mauve grey) xtrail on the hume today between melbourne and wagga, give me a wave! :)

AB
19th May 2012, 12:18 PM
I'm on Hume now...lol

AndyExy
19th May 2012, 09:05 PM
I'm on Hume now...lol

:( I didn't see you wave :(

AndyExy
20th May 2012, 12:39 PM
TootToot (the xtrail) will be on the Olympic then Hume soon. Please try not to drive over me in your big patrols.

Maxhead
20th May 2012, 02:07 PM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

Blacklotusdog
27th May 2012, 09:54 PM
Welcome to the forum, sounds like you got a nice little x-trail there. If you upgrade to a patrol trust me you wont be disappointed, im loving my new wheels

Tweakedoffroad
28th May 2012, 02:19 AM
G'day mate welcome aboard great bunch with some good info and advice here so feel free to jump in and contribute were you can

AndyExy
30th May 2012, 12:09 PM
Welcome to the forum, sounds like you got a nice little x-trail there. If you upgrade to a patrol trust me you wont be disappointed, im loving my new wheels

Yeah except I was thinking the other day, whilst the exy was idling (yes, just idling foot off accelerator) up the carpark ramp at the new coles store in burwood, that I'll have to learn how to deal with the lack of power and torque again. Having 127kW and 360N.m driving less than 2 tonnes can make one lazy I guess. (If only I had a low-range)

Gotta arrange when I can get back to looking at that MK. Driving me nuts not being able to get to it at the moment.

AndyExy
30th May 2012, 12:11 PM
G'day mate welcome aboard great bunch with some good info and advice here so feel free to jump in and contribute were you can

so mr tweak, are you an actually supplier?
I'm trying to find where I can bits and pieces ready for when I have to roadworthy and then 'update' (modify) a patrol (if i can get past the mrs).

Sir Roofy
30th May 2012, 12:12 PM
welcome aboard mate enjoy your stay

AndyExy
30th May 2012, 12:14 PM
OH, and I really should say thank you to whoever gave me the unexpected surprise of rating my thread at 5 stars.

I had to check to make sure that those things didn't indicate that I was being naughty or something.

Even if it was an accident, Thank you! :)

AndyExy
30th May 2012, 12:17 PM
welcome aboard mate enjoy your stay

hey roofy, you snuck in whilst i was still typing!

thanks for your welcome.

where's trafalgar?

Sir Roofy
30th May 2012, 12:30 PM
hey roofy, you snuck in whilst i was still typing!

thanks for your welcome.

where's trafalgar?
east of melbourne mate up in gippsland on the princess hwy

AndyExy
30th May 2012, 01:39 PM
east of melbourne mate up in gippsland on the princess hwy

cool. got ya now. haven't been through there since driving back from coffs late last year. explains why it was vaguely familiar to me. :)

Sir Roofy
30th May 2012, 05:33 PM
cool. got ya now. haven't been through there since driving back from coffs late last year. explains why it was vaguely familiar to me. :)

well now ya know where dont forget to drop in some time just pm when your up this way

AndyExy
31st May 2012, 09:44 AM
well now ya know where dont forget to drop in some time just pm when your up this way

Will do. Dunno when that will be. But, there is a very nice little farmhouse in Buchan that I really should visit again.

Hurry up coffee, the fog is clearing outside - time for the fog to clear from between my ears.

Granny
4th June 2012, 12:17 AM
Welcome to the forum

A Bad Days Fishing Beats A Good Day At Work!

AndyExy
4th June 2012, 08:19 AM
Thanks Granny.
How's life in Melton?

timbar
5th June 2012, 02:15 PM
G'day - Welcome aboard join in when you are ready and have some fun ! plenty to do and see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer !! Bucket loads of usefull information here plenty to read so join in meet the great bunch of guys and girls on our wonderful forum !!

You will not be disapointed !!

ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim

Jock68
5th June 2012, 02:33 PM
Hi.
Good to see more new members joining (like me & you). Welcome.

Jock

AndyExy
6th June 2012, 10:41 AM
Hi.
Good to see more new members joining (like me & you). Welcome.

Jock

Welcome to you Jock, yeps we need lots of newbies to provide fresh blood for the oldies to maul. Well okay, the oldies are all nice - so far ;). (I wonder how they take to be called oldies. After all, if we're newbies...)

Don't be afraid to ask your questions, but also try to use the search function. Occasionally the greybeards get grumpy if you don't try to use the search function. Besides, with the sometimes seemingly random responses from it you find lots of interesting tiddlebits. Problem with forums is the information very quickly gets buried.

Oh and don't forget that "thanks" button. Maybe I over-use it, but the way I see it is that if I find a post to be useful then I want to thank the person who took the time to put it up there.

Have fun and don't be shy.

:) andyp