PDA

View Full Version : which UHF package

luvpsi
16th May 2012, 08:52 PM
hey guys the mrs is looking at getting me a UHF for my birthday in a few weeks. im trying to find the correct package for my use and within our budget. i want to use it mainly for convoys and a bit of emergency use if need be. the terrain i will mainly be using is hilly as it will be used on sand dunes and bush tracks and as WA is fairly hilly it will be mainly hilly. below are a few packages put together from prestige communications here in WA what would be best for my uses

http://www.prestigecom.net.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=376&products_id=3000

http://www.prestigecom.net.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=376&products_id=2614

http://www.prestigecom.net.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=376&products_id=2906

http://www.prestigecom.net.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=376&products_id=2587

luvpsi
17th May 2012, 07:47 PM
Anyone sorry to sound inpatient but I need to tell her which 1 to get

scotty83
17th May 2012, 08:53 PM
I am more of a GME fan but from the specs.
I would be tempted to go with the Uniden UH7700NB + AT470 Antenna Bundle Pack. Larger antenna and more features in the unit. You will be surprised how some colours affect you when night driving and it would be nice to be able to change it.

The taller antenna will will give you better range on the hills.... Really depends on money.

Hope this helps.. anyone else..

MEGOMONSTER
17th May 2012, 09:35 PM
I agree with above, I will be getting the uniden UN7700NB shortly

luvpsi
17th May 2012, 10:59 PM
cheers the main reason im going uniden is the price factor

megatexture
17th May 2012, 11:19 PM
yea im a gme fan but personaly i would pick one depending on where you plan to mount it reguarding size i have mine mounted mine in the sunglasses holder up on the roof and the handset is on the dash. for that you will want a smaler unit if its going to be dash mount you could prob just go a single din unit also the AT470 antenna is a 6 db so wont give the best range on hills.
i can post a pic of how i installed my uhf if you like

luvpsi
18th May 2012, 10:28 AM
yea im a gme fan but personaly i would pick one depending on where you plan to mount it reguarding size i have mine mounted mine in the sunglasses holder up on the roof and the handset is on the dash. for that you will want a smaler unit if its going to be dash mount you could prob just go a single din unit also the AT470 antenna is a 6 db so wont give the best range on hills.
i can post a pic of how i installed my uhf if you like

Yeah I'm just gonna fit mine on the dash what antenna do you recommend

DX grunt
18th May 2012, 10:41 AM
UHF is designed for line of sight only. If you get any extra coverage, it's a bonus.

Obviously aerial choice and where you install it on your truck is critical to your decision. I don't know a lot about aerials, so I suggest you contact a dealer. Dearest or cheapest is not always the best. There are lots of choices and options out there.

Rossco

taslucas
18th May 2012, 10:54 AM
I've got the Uniden7700 nb. Really happy with it. I do need to upgrade my antenna though. I got a short 3Db one and I'm always in dense forest so it doesn't quite cut it. The best compromise for hilly and forested areas would be a 4.5Db which I will upgrade to. The 7Db is no good for hills, they are better suited for wide open flat areas

Tap, crackle, pop

luvpsi
18th May 2012, 01:40 PM
Thinking I might go with uniden 7740nb with the ae4012k aerial as its a 780mm whip aerial with a 4.5db gain should suit the offroad and fits perfect within the budget

megatexture
18th May 2012, 08:51 PM
yea 3 or 4.5 db will be a great all rounder if funds will permit go a quality fibreglass one, ive lost a couple fibreglass whip antennas on corrugated roads, though i also have a elevated feed fibreglass (same as ae4012k) whip antenna that’s handy as you can easily change what antenna is on it

luvpsi
19th May 2012, 01:11 AM
yeah i was thinking of getting this package as its 258 bucks for radio and antenna to get me started then when funds permit i will get a fiberglass one as i think the ae4012k2 will be a good allrounder to start with

my third 256
19th May 2012, 05:50 AM
yeah i was thinking of getting this package as its 258 bucks for radio and antenna to get me started then when funds permit i will get a fiberglass one as i think the ae4012k2 will be a good allrounder to start with
i have a 300mm and a 1200mm that are interchangable so when in town the short one just screws in and in the bush or on a long trip the large is screwed in
the short one only cost $28.00 / it is mounted on the bull bar
i have a gme removed double din radio put a single in and the gme sits in the space provided