PDA

View Full Version : Gq turbo cost

Brendan56
16th May 2012, 02:42 PM
Hey as some of your might know I'm looking at buying a td42 gq, but Im having a hard time finding one. I'm thinking of buying an aspirated 42 and then getting an aftermarket turbo. Does anybody know the price of a decent aftermarket turbo, compared to the effort in finding the right patrol. :-)
Cheers, Brendan

AB
16th May 2012, 02:54 PM
Standard HT-18 turbo from the GU installed yourself should only be around the 1.5-2k mark. Thats including cross over pipes, elbows, turbo, GU air box and pipes, new gaskets, custom braided lines for water and oil feed/drain and the exhaust manifold and misc bits (hose clamps, hoses for cross over, etc).

Add a couple of hundred for the Pyro and Boost guage

Add another 500 for 3" exhaust and dump pipe.

My DIY thread below for this...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?4973-Fitting-a-genuine-Nissan-turbo-to-a-N-A-TD42&highlight=td42+genuine+turbo

Brendan56
16th May 2012, 03:01 PM
Oh also, just how gutless are they non turbo? Thanks heaps for that thread, looks like a bit of part hunting may be in order

AB
16th May 2012, 03:10 PM
On road they are pretty gutless. You would have a hard time trying to beat a kid on a push bike off at the lights. Off road they still an awesome machine of course!!!

Brendan56
16th May 2012, 03:19 PM
I have no desire to race pushbikes haha, as long as it still pulls along well off road then I think it will be the best option till funds are in place

97_gq_lwb
16th May 2012, 06:38 PM
Oh also, just how gutless are they non turbo? Thanks heaps for that thread, looks like a bit of part hunting may be in order

How fast can your grandmother push a shopping trolley lol.
I did a turbo system for under $1000
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8550-Yet-another-Diy-turbo-kit-td42

Brendan56
16th May 2012, 06:44 PM
Well at the moment I'm running a 2.4l td rodeo haha. Couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Richo460
17th May 2012, 05:21 AM
i was looking for ages for a TD42 patrol myself and bought a non turbo. Paid 7k for one with lift and lokcer and stuff which i think i got a good deal. I have been quoted $4200 for a fitted turbo kit for a local shop and i think that is about standard. I have done lots of research on DIY kits and if you buy cheap chinese stuff i reckon i could fit one for about $1000 but thats doing everything myself. Thats is exactly the same as what 97_gq_lwb did in his thread posted above. In hindsight i kinda think i should have bought one already done. There were a few nice ones for 12-13k with all the fruit but not where i lived. After towing a motorbike trailer a few hundred k's and going up a few mountain ranges i am definately getting a turbo asap.

dirtaddict
20th May 2012, 10:31 PM
i was looking for ages for a TD42 patrol myself and bought a non turbo. Paid 7k for one with lift and lokcer and stuff which i think i got a good deal. I have been quoted $4200 for a fitted turbo kit for a local shop and i think that is about standard. I have done lots of research on DIY kits and if you buy cheap chinese stuff i reckon i could fit one for about $1000 but thats doing everything myself. Thats is exactly the same as what 97_gq_lwb did in his thread posted above. In hindsight i kinda think i should have bought one already done. There were a few nice ones for 12-13k with all the fruit but not where i lived. After towing a motorbike trailer a few hundred k's and going up a few mountain ranges i am definately getting a turbo asap.

DTS new with corner mounted airbox and 3 inch exhaust 2900 . supplied only , but you need to budget for a clutch , what roads are you travelling mate? mine does cherry tree hill on the mudgee road in 4th at 100 k`s with 1200 kg trailer including bikes at 13 psi but i have to back off as the egt`s are high so i`m putting a front mount on it as we speak hoping to keep them in check so i cn use all it has to offer

97_gq_lwb
21st May 2012, 08:52 AM
Any one in western sydney i would really love to compare the differences as my egt's are lucky to see 500 pre turbo so far.
And mine has a lot more go then the standard gu factory turbo's i have driven.
A few people have commented on it going a lot better then other peoples aftermarket turboed gq's but i have never compared them.

nissannewby
21st May 2012, 09:43 AM
Factory turbo GUs in stock form are slow. I have one of each and my GQ turbo walks rings around my factory GU turbo.

Richo460
21st May 2012, 11:50 AM
DTS new with corner mounted airbox and 3 inch exhaust 2900 . supplied only , but you need to budget for a clutch , what roads are you travelling mate? mine does cherry tree hill on the mudgee road in 4th at 100 k`s with 1200 kg trailer including bikes at 13 psi but i have to back off as the egt`s are high so i`m putting a front mount on it as we speak hoping to keep them in check so i cn use all it has to offer

Really 2900 with exhaust sounds great. i will do the clutch later. For now its just my daily car but i live in cairns so when ever possible i will be finding some mud. Going up the Kuranda range i was back to 3rd and loosing speed with a bike trailer with 2 dirt bikes on. It was painfully slow. Where did you see that price for the DTS kit?
Anyone know if a big exhaust will help a NA diesel much? I got a 3" system that came off a big block that might fit under the Q

How much boost to the standard GU's run?

97_gq_lwb How is your build going? I am gonna start buying some bits for my build soon and i'm gonna copy what you have done, sorry but it sounds like a good option. How much do you reckon yours cost?

nissannewby
21st May 2012, 01:37 PM
Standards around 8 psi. On saturday i was towing easy 2.5T behind my GU which now runs about 14 psi and a little more fuel (with more tuning to come) and never dropped any lower than 4th and was able to cruise at 115 on the flat without a drama. Most aftermarket kits will be around that 3k mark with an exhaust for supply only.

97_gq_lwb
21st May 2012, 05:53 PM
Mine was done for under $1000.

dirtaddict
22nd May 2012, 09:22 PM
Any one in western sydney i would really love to compare the differences as my egt's are lucky to see 500 pre turbo so far.
And mine has a lot more go then the standard gu factory turbo's i have driven.
A few people have commented on it going a lot better then other peoples aftermarket turboed gq's but i have never compared them.

mine with dts kit and 13 psi will hold 4 th gear up bellbird hill and get to 5th on the last straight section . havn`t driven the hill since fitting the front mount though , i`l wait till the boost is re set to 15 and tuned , you may have freak motor they are out there i`ve driven one that went better than most with the same set ups . as for rgt`s 500 s low mine will climb way over that if pushed , have you towed with it yet? what and where?

Richo460
23rd May 2012, 04:36 AM
I'm liking the sounds of a $1000 turbo kit. The TD42 might be a good donk but without a turbo its pretty painful, especially when my other car has a 350 chev.
Hey 97_gq_lwb, did you make all your piping? i can't see any of your pics on the thread as my work internet server blocks them. I am jsut wondering how to hook up the filter. Might make what DTS do and put another outlet on the bottom of the original one, dunno

97_gq_lwb
23rd May 2012, 08:32 AM
I'm liking the sounds of a $1000 turbo kit. The TD42 might be a good donk but without a turbo its pretty painful, especially when my other car has a 350 chev.
Hey 97_gq_lwb, did you make all your piping? i can't see any of your pics on the thread as my work internet server blocks them. I am jsut wondering how to hook up the filter. Might make what DTS do and put another outlet on the bottom of the original one, dunno
I used a gu zd30 airbox and originally an alloy intake with silicon reducers.
I am in the process of changing it though to a cut down vn vp vr v6 commodore intake pipe with the more flexible ends with a breather input.

97_gq_lwb
23rd May 2012, 08:41 AM
mine with dts kit and 13 psi will hold 4 th gear up bellbird hill and get to 5th on the last straight section . havn`t driven the hill since fitting the front mount though , i`l wait till the boost is re set to 15 and tuned , you may have freak motor they are out there i`ve driven one that went better than most with the same set ups . as for rgt`s 500 s low mine will climb way over that if pushed , have you towed with it yet? what and where?
I might give the bellbird hill a go i did tow with it through galston up some steep hills but was late at night and it may have been 3 tonne and it seemed to do ok .