PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Mt Martha, Vic

Dan13
16th May 2012, 09:36 AM
Hi all. My name is Dan and I have joined this forum to investigate patrol's as a possible choice for a truck I want to build.
I currently own a new triton but I'm considering getting rid of it in place of an older truck that I can modify and take off road without fear of damage and warranty issues.

My plan would be to buy an older GU and build it into an off road beast. I would like to do an engine swap as I love the fuel consumption of my current turbo diesel. I know I won't get 8ltrs/100kms but I would like to try and get it to around 11 or 12, maybe I can get some advise on the best way to do that?

I also want a powerful engine as I'm often towing boats that are up around the 3000kg range, so I'm guessing a V8 diesel will be the go.

Cheers Dan

DX grunt
16th May 2012, 10:11 AM
G'day Dan

Welcome to the forum and glad to have you onboard.

What a great option you're considering.....changing from a Mitsy to a troll - a GU troll at that! I've got a 2005 4.2 TDi ute and I'm very happy with it.

Make sure you get a towing package that suits your needs. Trolls are very addictive. The more you spend on them, the more you want to spend - especially after reading all the stuff on this forum! lol

Plan for now and the future with your budget. Sort out your wants versus needs, then prioritise.

Enjoy and take care out there.

Rossco

Aquaman
16th May 2012, 10:12 AM
Hi
You will find heaps of info and advice here. If you can't find the info you are looking for then put up a post and someone should be able to help.

AB
16th May 2012, 10:39 AM
Welcome to the forum mate. Feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

Bigrig
16th May 2012, 11:09 AM
G'day mate and welcome aboard - great people, information and laughs to be found on here, so join in to make the most of it!!!

Enjoy!!

growler2058
16th May 2012, 11:55 AM
G'day Dan welcome aboard mate gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice

Tappin N Crappin

Tweakedoffroad
16th May 2012, 12:15 PM
G'day mate welcome aboard great bunch with some good info and advice here so feel free to jump in and contribute were you can

BearGUST
16th May 2012, 12:29 PM
G'day Dan13,
Welcome aboard, good to have some local members (I've just moved to Mt Eliza).
Definitely work out your plans first, you always hear of people putting in a 2" lift, then a 4" etc. Work out what lift & tyres you will need to go where you want to go.
IMHO 33's will get you a long way and no need to regear etc.
As far as engine conversions - my pipe dream is to fit a 4.2 - not the nissan one, an Audi V8 4.2 TDI. Genuine Nissan 4.2 badging & stickers etc, but would sound and go a little different!

Dhuck
16th May 2012, 07:36 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

simdogs
16th May 2012, 10:07 PM
Welcome mate, good luck in the project

healy
16th May 2012, 10:11 PM
welcome to the forum mate

Maxhead
19th May 2012, 09:21 PM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

Finly Owner
22nd May 2012, 11:43 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Dan

Tim

2TROLLFAM
22nd May 2012, 11:46 PM
Sorry I’m abit slow – have been away from the forum for abit… WELCOME !! These guys here are just fantastic, lots to be learnt if you’re prepared to read & get involved.

mczaf666
23rd May 2012, 08:32 PM
Gday Dan...New to this forum too.....Great info and people on here....Those boats you are towing must be huge...3000kgs......Barcrushers???...Tabs???? what are they????.....