PDA

View Full Version : Screaching sound from engine

Basha69
16th May 2012, 12:52 AM
Hi everyone

I have a question for the mechanically savvy forum users. I have a Patrol Gu IV 2008 which is making a screeching sound which disappears as the engine warms up.

Had the vehicle serviced today (85000 on clock). Nissan told me they think that it is either a broken gasket on the engine manifold or possibly a crack in the manifold. They reckon as the engine warms up the manifold expands and closes the crack, hence sound stops.

My question is, how long would it take a mechanic to strip the engine down and investigate the problem to confirm what the problem is. Nissan have told me how long they would take and the cost $$$$$$$:frown:

Furthermore can anyone recommend a good diesel mechanic to give me a second opinion, i live close to Freo.

Thanks for any advice and opinions in advance.

Regards Chris

Clunk
16th May 2012, 01:47 AM
Sorry Chris, I can't help but someone in the know will hopefully be along sooner or later. In the mean time pop over to the introductions and say hello and tell is a little about yourself and your rig, just a little something thats ask of in here. No harm done.................... hope you get your answer soon bud

nissannewby
16th May 2012, 03:23 AM
If the problem is diagnosed correctly and parts are on hand should only take a few hours especially if they have all the correct tooling. With your noise it also wouldnt hurt to check your belt and tensioner these can make the same noise. Sorry but cant help you with a mechanic in that area hopefully someone will be along soon to help.

fishnsurf
16th May 2012, 08:00 AM
hi there cant help with the mechanic,,,,,,,, but my patrol from new has made a screeching sound when i start it in the from cold only after it has been raining over night and as soon as i increase the revs for 5 sec or so it goes away i was told by nissan probably the belt / tensioner may be worth a check

Sir Roofy
16th May 2012, 09:45 AM
if it was me id check the belt and tensioner first
if your good on the tools probably take you half
a day to change belt and check bearing in tensioner