PDA

View Full Version : Rb30 oil pressure sender wiring Help!

1madgerman
15th May 2012, 07:54 AM
Hey guys I'm doing an motor swap to an efi motor in my rb30 I used the original patrol oil pressure sender which I'm not sure if it works, is there a way to test the sender?

If I earth one terminal on the loom in the car the gague will climb and if I earth the other wire the fuel pump will turn off, which is apparently a safety thing of I lose oil pressure the engine wil stop, i have oil if I take the sender out and crank it over with out starting oil pumps out the hole. Any help

Lieney
3rd June 2012, 08:41 PM
If the sender activates an oil pressure light, its a switch.
It can be tested by measuring the resistance from the terminal to the engine body (earth). Once with engine off and once with engine running.
The circuit should be closed (have little resistance) when engien is off.
Circuit should be open (have heaps / infinite resistance) when engine running.
Or, if you already have it out of the engine, you should be able to activate it by applying slight air pressure to its orifice and measuring the resistance from terminal to earth.
Measure the resistance between the terminal and the body where it screws in.
You should get an open circuit and closed circuit, when not activated, and when activated.
Hope it helps

1madgerman
3rd June 2012, 08:58 PM
Cheers mate I'll give It a Try failing that I'm jut going to get an aftermarket one, I've heard the std ones are not to accurate anyways.

spektrum
6th June 2012, 01:08 PM
I went thru the similar issues putting in a newer TD42. I installed the oil pressure sender from my old engine. There were 2 wires, one for the pressure gauge and the other for the oil light. Internally the sender must have been faulty and the dash oil lamp was always OFF, even with the engine stopped. The oil pressure sender (resistance varies depending on pressure), reported good oil pressure at idle, then odd values as the rpm increased.

I replaced the oil pressure sender (Tridon brand) and this fixed everything. Oil lamp and pressure gauge now work as expected. The dash oil pressure gauge also reads correct values, verified against the mechanics mechanical gauge.

So getting back to your question....
If you have a oil pressure sender it will have 2 wires - use the green wire. If you have an oil pressure switch it will only have 1 wire. If you measure the voltage, it should show 0v with engine OFF, and should show around 12v engine running .. or you can measure the resistance between this wire and GND. Engine off should be 0 ohms, engine running should be very high ohm (or open circuit).