PDA

View Full Version : GU 3.0 2003 Alternator

fat paddy
14th May 2012, 12:23 PM
I'm getting in intermittant squeeling noise coming from the alternator at idle. I first changed the fan belt and idler pulley thinking it was one of those with no luck before tracking the noise down to the alternator.
Next option would be to pull the alternator out and change the bearings. The Gregory suggest any work on the alternator should be done by a sparkie. However does someone out there have experience in such things. With a good tool box and bench vice can I do the job myself?
FP

Yendor
14th May 2012, 12:55 PM
The genuine alternator on the ZD30 runs a clutch pulley. This requires a special tool to remove.

The pulley is prone to failing and is more then likely where your noise is coming from.

A lot of people fit an aftermarket alternator with a standard solid pulley to overcome this problem.

Or an auto electrician should be able to replace the bearings in your alternator and pulley, if required.

When you replaced the belt did you use a genuine one? It's common for the non-genuine ones to squeal.

fat paddy
14th May 2012, 01:00 PM
Genuine belt.
Clutch Pulley - of course, I have one in my wife's Voyage too.
I might hit it with some circuit board clearner first and see what happens - got nothing to loose.
Thanks for the advice.
FP

Yendor
14th May 2012, 03:42 PM
If it is the pulley I don't think the cleaner will help, then again it can't hurt.

When my alternator pulley failed, I was able to see the pulley moving backwards and forwards on the shaft when the engine was running. It actually started to melt the plastic dust cover on the front.

Cheers Rodney