PDA

View Full Version : Draw system child restraint points

maverick01
14th May 2012, 10:06 AM
Im hoping someone can help me here.

I have a GQ LWB and it currently has a homemade draw system in the back made out of ply wood.

My problem is i want to pull that out and replace it with a alluminium setup to save on weight, but here is the problem i have what i would like to do is to incorporate some child seat restraint points either to the front of the draw system using rated points or to the top of the system but i dont know if i can just attach rated points to the draw system or whether it has to be an australian standards approved item fixed somewhere else.

Cheers Guys

ozzyboy
14th May 2012, 10:12 AM
hey mate.
i built some drawers not long ago, and had the same pickle.
now, someone may prove me wrong, but i think the restraint points need to be bolted into the chassis?
In saying that, in the old torago days, the rta fitted a bar, across the vehicle, 2 inches down from the roof, and we could anchor from that.
Myself, i would use a rated point to australian standards , no question.
I cut my losses and ended up changing drawers to suit.
ozz
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/ozzyboy2000/subandamp.jpg

AB
14th May 2012, 10:19 AM
I'm all for modifying things but in this case I wouldn't do any modifications comprising the safety of the kids mate. I had the same issue too and ended just making the drawer system 200mm thinner and mounted it to the right hand side which allowed the child restraint and seat to sit on the left hand side. It's a pain and doesnt look as flash as the others but atleast you know your doing the right thing.

It also leaves you with a lot of room on one side to put longer objects in and it has come in handy...

maverick01
14th May 2012, 02:37 PM
Thanks guys