PDA

View Full Version : who else has a 4.8 manual?

Gas_Guzzler4800
13th May 2012, 07:10 PM
As my 4.8 manual is the only one I have driven. I'm just wondering if anyone else gets a fair bit of driveline slop when getting on or off the pedal? eg. cruising along in 4th gear at 60kph, take foot off accelerator to maintain speed down a hill and the car will jerk/lunge a bit and then will do it again when you put your foot back on the accelerator. I have driven an auto and didnt notice is at all. My old 4.2 turbo diesel never did it

dibbo
13th May 2012, 07:46 PM
I'v got a GUIII 4.8 Manual and i can honestly say i have never noticed anything like what you are describing but will check tomorrow on my drive to work and let you know

dibbo
13th May 2012, 07:47 PM
by the way what sort of economy you getting??
i'm around the 20l mark

Gas_Guzzler4800
13th May 2012, 08:45 PM
Thanks mate. I'm thinking I might have a bit of wear in the tailshaft slip joint. There is bugger all play in the diff. If I drive gently I get 16 - 17/100. Normal heavy footed I get 19 - 20/100

dibbo
14th May 2012, 06:04 PM
nope i can't get mine to do what you are describing must be some excessive play somewhere. good luck.

Gas_Guzzler4800
14th May 2012, 08:09 PM
hmm I was afraid of that. Thanks for checking for me mate. I slid under it today and had a bit of a play around. I removed the lower trailing arms to inspect the bushes properly and theyre all in very good condition. The top ones were replaced a few weeks ago as they were flogged out. I know my rear uni has a big notchy spot in it ( I'll be replacing it soon ) but I dont think that will cause the slack feeling as it doesnt have any play in it as far as twisting goes. Now the rear slip joint has some play in it. I can maybe move it 2mm in each direction and its accompanied by a clunk. I dare say this is my problem. A refurbished shaft is $600 though....

Gas_Guzzler4800
14th May 2012, 08:14 PM
actually does anyone know if he 4.8 shafts are any different to a 4.2 Coil cab? I can borrow a mates shaft ( that sounds wrong ) and see if it stops the jerking ( worse )

dibbo
15th May 2012, 07:24 AM
2mm movement in the slip joint is massive movement regardless if it is the cause of the problem that definitely needs replacing

Gas_Guzzler4800
15th May 2012, 08:37 PM
I had a good play with it this afternoon. I pulled the whole shaft out and went for a drive in front wheel drive. The jerking was far worse and pretty clunky. The front shaft has a fair whack of play in it. I checked all engine and transmission mounts which are in good condition. While I had the rear shaft out I inspected it closely. There is maybe not even 1mm of play in the splines. Both uni's are absolutely shot. No play just very very notchy. So I put the shaft back in and decided to think outside the square. I backed my accelerator cable off a bit as it was way too tight and this has helped a great deal. Still not 100% but much better. I have a feeling the slackness is a combination of wear in the entire driveline. The transfer case output yoke has a fair bit of backlash etc