PDA

View Full Version : TB42 dual fuel problem.

GQPorkroll
12th May 2012, 06:43 PM
Recently did a service on my GQ. Oil, filter, iridium plugs and 9mm leads.

When running on either petrol or gas, it will momentarily shut down. The tacho drops to zero and then the motor re-fires as its in gear and still rolling. It usually only happens once, then I can go along and drive for another 10-15 mins with no problems. Occasionally, it will happen 2-3 times in quick succession.

I can't see anything obvious, I found a snapped earth wire on the front of the carb today and replace that, but it didn't help. I also cable tied the leads together and then to the rubber lead mounts (they won't fit in there as they're bigger than standard) and cable tied the coil lead to the plastic section on the battery hold down clamp so i'm sure the leads can't be shorting anywhere. The dizzy cap wasn't removed, so I'm pretty sure nothing under the dizzy is damaged, but I'll replace cap and rotor button just for the hell of it.

I'm not totally sure what dizzy the truck is running, but I think it has a petronics conversion fitted.

Anywhere else I should be looking?

GQPorkroll
13th May 2012, 11:08 PM
Been searching all arvo and it turns out the leads I've used arent suited to LPG. I don't understand why there is still a problem when using petrol, however I'll swap back to Eagle 8.0mm LPG leads tomorrow and see if there is a difference.

Anyone need practically brand new 9.0mm Eagle leads for a TB42 petrol only?

GQPorkroll
15th May 2012, 12:54 PM
Ok further update.

I fitted spiral leads and the motor still has the same issue.

I have now ordered a new Crane ignition system, a new extended rotor button and a new distributor cap.

I'm sure the problem lies within the coil or ballast, but if I go searching and buying random components and paying auto elecs I'll be further behind than what I am now.

I will run a new 12v wire to the coil and take everything out of the equation. I'll also have the auto lec tidy up all the wires and sort everything out so there's no issues anywhere. There's a bit of bush mechanics under the bonnet and I can't have my truck being unreliable.

So now, hopefully I will take everything that could be causing the problem out of the equation and I'll solve it.

Mojo01
16th May 2012, 03:09 PM
sounds like a ballast block fault to me, my mates maverick used to do the same thing, replaced it it was fine

GQPorkroll
21st May 2012, 10:36 AM
Yeah it may be, but I put a wire from the aux battery to the coil and the problem still happened, so possibly it's the coil, but if I buy a ballast, then a coil, then rewire it, and there is still a problem, I'll still need to replace the crane system and the system it was running is outdated and obsolete, so I may as well upgrade to a new system with more power and spark than chase problems for a month.