PDA

View Full Version : New to 4X4, considering a Patrol

Surly
12th May 2012, 11:53 AM
Hey guys, greetings from a prospective patroler :)

I have recently been getting more interested in camping and 4x4ing. Am a complete noob to anything off-road, but have been thinking about buying a shorty GQ.
I really wanted a good, reliable small fourby, but with the parts availability and reliablity of the patrol, it is hard to pass-up.
This would be a daily driver, so gas or diesel might be the best option!

Anyway, any advice you guys might have, or info on a well maintained SWB GQ/Maverick in Vic would be awesome.

Cheers,

Tim.

growler2058
12th May 2012, 12:10 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice. Youre definately on the right track goin the troll route mate

NissanGQ4.2
12th May 2012, 12:28 PM
Welcome 2 the forum Tim

Great bunch of members on here always willing 2 help out where they can

Feel free 2 start up a new thread in the appropriate section and ask any questions you may have.

Enjoy the forum and what it has 2 offer.

Cheers

Todd

Bigrig
12th May 2012, 12:41 PM
G'day mate and welcome aboard - great people, information and laughs to be found on here, so join in to make the most of it!!!

Enjoy!!

Clunk
12th May 2012, 01:55 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard.......... I too was looking for a shorty but good ones were few and far between at the time and also with a growing family, couple of dogs..... Decided lwb was for me. You're on a winner no matter which you get, just take you're time and have your money ready for when the right one turns up.

Taps a lot!!!!!!

Rob Johnston
12th May 2012, 03:09 PM
Hey mate,
I was looking for a shorty myself about 6 months ago but the perfect LWB popped up at the right price. Ive done plenty of 4WDing in it and I have yet to regret the decision.

Cheers Rob

Surly
12th May 2012, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys. Is there a noticeable difference in fuel consumption between the SWB and LWB? Was leaning towards a shorty more for the ease of parking and me really not needing something anywhere near as large as a LWB.

Maxhead
12th May 2012, 05:53 PM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

skidy04
12th May 2012, 05:57 PM
Welcome, The LWB isnt that much longer than a Commodore or ford. The extra height being in a 4x4 is great to see over the traffic. I have a GU 4.2TD and a GQ EFI 4.2 on gas. the TI is giving me nothing but issues at the moment. I love the 4.2TD does about 16-18 L/100 all the time even towing my camper. For me its driving a car or a tractor. :-)

MudRunnerTD
12th May 2012, 06:06 PM
Welcome tithe forum mate, great bunch of folk here.

If your looking to do a. It of traveling the the LWB will carry your load a bit better, you can remove all the seats and sleep in the back ;)

Surly
12th May 2012, 07:16 PM
I would not be travelling very often. More the occasional 4X4 day trip as well as some camping trips over long weekends or the occasional week off work.
I really just want a truck to get me to remote spots, have a bit of fun in while still being easy enough to drive to and from work. Lots of space is not vital. I camp fairly light, won't take too much beyond what I can carry on my back (ok, a bit more, but not heaps), so the LWB will be largely wasted on me. If I can have a more convenient sized truck, that is hopefully a bit more easy on the fuel, then I will go for it.

To be perfectly honest, I am also considering something much smaller like a suzuki sierra. I would feel safer and more comfortable with a bit more car around me.

It is likely to come down to what I find in the right condition first. Though I haven't driven either yet, so we'll see!

DX grunt
12th May 2012, 08:26 PM
G'day Tim.

Welcome to the forum and glad you could join us.

Take care out there.

Rossco

krogh
12th May 2012, 11:18 PM
Hi Tim and welcome to the forum

Dhuck
13th May 2012, 08:13 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

AB
13th May 2012, 04:11 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

Tweakedoffroad
14th May 2012, 02:47 PM
G'day mate welcome aboard great bunch with some good info and advice here so feel free to jump in and contribute were you can

Aquaman
15th May 2012, 08:53 PM
Take your time and get what you want. Whatever you get you are the one that has to live with it. It is hard to go past the Patrols though.

Finly Owner
15th May 2012, 09:29 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Surly Tim! Deisel GQ are good, Mav is a Patrolwearing an oval medallion!

Tim

Surly
18th May 2012, 06:54 PM
Hey guys, I have been looking casually for a month or so now for a decent fourby. Slightly concerned by how much fuel the 'trol drinks. Did they produce the SWB with the 2.8td? Not seen any for sale yet.
Any ideas on what the fuel useage would be like for typical, onroad use?

Definitely getting a bit overwhemed by info and everyones differing opinions. Keep discovering more and more small-mid sized options too... Looks like a lot of cool fourbies were made in the late 80's and 90's.

Thanks for all the welcomes too! So far this has been one of the friendliest forums I have been on :)

Blacklotusdog
27th May 2012, 09:57 PM
Howdy mate and welcome.