PDA

View Full Version : Lift kit and sway bar

Mrs Ronnieh
10th May 2012, 10:31 PM
Hi All.
Our GQ does not have a front sway bar fitted. I went searching to find one today and I can't seem to get one. if you know where I may pick one up -I am in the Caboolture QLD area. Patrol has lift kit -- also a thermo fan. 89 model.

Thanks Guys

Ronnie

growler2058
10th May 2012, 10:37 PM
Some didn't come with a front sway bar mine is one . There is a provision on the radius arms to mount it tho if you really want one. Try a wreckers mate if no lock on fleabay

Tappin N Crappin

Richo460
11th May 2012, 06:02 AM
my 88 doesn't have sway bars either, with 4" lift she gets a bit roly.

bordertech
11th May 2012, 07:55 AM
Correct, front sway bars were optional on most early GQ's according to the owners and workshop manuals. My 89 GQ never had one either even though a VIN search said it's a DX but it has ST spec's of later models eg: fully carpeted, cloth seats and trims, 50/50 middle row seat, full gauge display dash, factory rear locker, factory rear sway bar disconnect, wide wheel pack, flares etc etc

taslucas
11th May 2012, 08:01 AM
My mate took his out when he lifted his 92 mav. Ill see if he still has it in the shed. Im a bit far away though sorry, but if you cant find one and are willing to pay postage i reckon its yours.....

Mrs Ronnieh
11th May 2012, 01:43 PM
My mate took his out when he lifted his 92 mav. Ill see if he still has it in the shed. Im a bit far away though sorry, but if you cant find one and are willing to pay postage i reckon its yours.....

Hi
That would be awesome- maybe we could ship it with DHL Express-- if i cannot locate up here then will contact you.

The other question I have is will it fit because everyone is telling me if you have a lift kit it may not.???

Reason why i want one is it is a cow to steer-- abit rolly as someone said and abit unsafe stability wise when towing the boat.

Ronnie--
And by the way guys *I am a GIRL*

97_gq_lwb
11th May 2012, 01:47 PM
You can buy extended swaybar link pins or i did read something about commodore ones being a bit longer and a lot cheaper out of a vx front i think.

They look similar
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Front-Sway-Bar-Link-Pin-Kit-Commodore-VU-VX-VY-6-2000-2004-Holden-Suspension-/400285123849?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d32da4509

But you will have to have someone confirm they work as i can't remember the whole story.

Mrs Ronnieh
11th May 2012, 10:04 PM
Hi
Thanks for info.Perhaps someone on here may know.

Ronnie

munter
14th May 2012, 01:42 AM
you don't want a front sway bar, it does SFA.
they are too light and flimsy.

i noticed no difference on my GQ when i removed it. I left the rear on though

leaving the rear on will help the front work better off road with flex.

and still retain decent road manners

munter
14th May 2012, 01:45 AM
Hi
That would be awesome- maybe we could ship it with DHL Express-- if i cannot locate up here then will contact you.

The other question I have is will it fit because everyone is telling me if you have a lift kit it may not.???

Reason why i want one is it is a cow to steer-- abit rolly as someone said and abit unsafe stability wise when towing the boat.

Ronnie--
And by the way guys *I am a GIRL*

if it's rolly, what shocks do you have and how big of a liftt? how old is the lift?

flogged out shocks can make a car drive like a boat.

bordertech
15th May 2012, 08:59 PM
my 88 doesn't have sway bars either, with 4" lift she gets a bit roly.Just to clarify, ALL GQ's had a rear sway bar from factory. It was only the early GQ's where a front sway bar was a factory option, but still standard equipment on some model variants

Richo460
26th August 2012, 08:54 PM
I have picked up some factory sway bars, i think i will fit both front and rear with disconnects. Does anyone sell the 4" extended links with in built disconnects of do you have to get them separate.

Moff
23rd October 2012, 09:50 PM
I have picked up some factory sway bars, i think i will fit both front and rear with disconnects. Does anyone sell the 4" extended links with in built disconnects of do you have to get them separate.

Superior engineering have some nice looking units that l am thinking of getting, or l might just remove the front sway bay

MudRunnerTD
23rd October 2012, 10:23 PM
Hey Ronnie do you know what was done to your front end to deal with the caster correction when the 4" lift went in? Caster bushes or plates or drop boxes?