PDA

View Full Version : hi all ex Toyota bloke sees the light

Alex gq
10th May 2012, 10:30 PM
Hey everyone great to be a member of this forum some great stuff on here as you can tell from my title I have owned tojos in the past, just early cruisers, a 55 series with 454 v8 with air lockers and a 40 series Shorty comp truck with a 351. And a few other 4bys not worth mentioning, never thought I would own a Nissan but as I was in the market for something to turn into a tuff...ish tourer that was reliable it was hard to go past a gq with the mighty TD42 so I swallowed my pride and switched teams. I have owned the car for 6 months now and have done heaps of work and mods but would never look back.... NISSANS ARE AWESOME!!! Im loving the truck I dont want to bore you all with the details but here is the basic run down

It's a 89 gq wagon 300000km on the clock ( not run in lol ) its blue/silver two tone car was stock on purchase. Car now has arb bull bar, side bars and steps, spotties, rear led work lights, arb full length roof basket, UHF, saas seats, full tuff dog 4 inch lift, heavy duty panhards front and rear plus draglink, steel longer brake lines, road runner solid tie rod bar and sway bar links, 33x12.5 bf km2s, dual batteries one Odyssey one ameron, factory rear locker with bordertech solenoid mod, factory sway bar disconnect, 550w waeco inverter, hid headlights, mean mother air compressor, nice stereo, led interior lights plus other stuff I cant remember
future mods are turbo and exhaust, drawer system, cargo barrier, dash pod, quarter chop and tube rear bar, winch, long range tanks and longer heavier rear trailing arms... And window tint. I work in a camping shop so I wanted a rig that could take me to great spots hope to see you guys and girls out there
Thanks Alex

growler2058
10th May 2012, 10:35 PM
G'day Alex welcome aboard mate gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice.

Tappin N Crappin

NissanGQ4.2
10th May 2012, 10:35 PM
Welcome to the forum Alex

Great bunch of members on here always willing 2 help out where they can.

Sounds like an awesome rig, Will be looking forwards 2 seeing some pics

Were about's are you located?

Cheers

Todd

Alex gq
10th May 2012, 10:48 PM
Thanks fellas from what I have read on here seems like a really good bunch of people its so good to see, I'll get some pics up soon. i'm in batemans bay nsw south coast some great tracks down this way

Finly Owner
10th May 2012, 10:49 PM
Hi and welcometo Nissans Nut House Alex

Tim

Maxhead
10th May 2012, 10:50 PM
G'Day Alex, welcome to the forum mate. The Bay hey, nearly neighbours...hahah

Alex gq
10th May 2012, 10:52 PM
Thanks mate its good to be a nut lol

Alex gq
10th May 2012, 10:54 PM
Yer mate just down the hill

Clunk
10th May 2012, 11:01 PM
Gday Alex, welcome aboard mate...... sounds like you've been a little busy during the past six months...... looking forward to the piccies

Tweakedoffroad
11th May 2012, 03:50 AM
G'day mate welcome aboard great bunch with some good info and advice here so feel free to jump in and contribute were you can

Richo460
11th May 2012, 04:41 AM
Welcome mate. This is definately the best forum i have ever been on. I'm an Ex hilux owner and have seen the light, on my 3rd patrol and still wish i didn't sell the other 2.

AB
11th May 2012, 06:59 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions.

Dhuck
11th May 2012, 07:01 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Alex gq
11th May 2012, 08:30 AM
Thanks heaps guys for the welcomes Yer it has been a busy 6 months most free time has been in the shed but it's not so bad missus has a gu Ute with a td42t its got a few mods she did all herself so I have company at least :) if I can contribute to the forum I will when I can, ill get photos up soon of my wagon and throw a couple of the missus Ute in

krogh
12th May 2012, 11:44 PM
Hi Alex, welcome to the forum

skidy04
13th May 2012, 11:28 AM
Welcome Alex glad to see you didnt waste any time tweeking the patrol.

Alex gq
25th September 2013, 02:11 PM
Hi all it has been a very busy past 12 months and I have not been on as much as I would like so I thought a reintroduction was in order and an update. the GQ has been an awesome rig and I am firmly converted from Toyota, done some great camping and a little four wheel driving and love it.

it has got a 3 inch exhaust on it now, I have the plates for the quarter chop and it has some nice dark window tint however it will be soon up for sale as since I last jumped on I have changed jobs meaning I am away with work alot (more on that later) and been spending my time and money on my GU!!
I found a 1 owner GU2 with a TD42T of course with receipts for every service since new every 5000km including air oil and fuel. he even purchased a second log book to keep the services recorded and it is immaculate, older gent. now it is the dark green metallic which wasn't my first choice but is growing on me. there is in fact three Patrols in the shed now my fiancée is now driving a GU 4.2 ute that she is modifying, yep I figured she was a keeper lol. :smiley_thumbs_up:
As for the new job, I am now the sales executive for Ultimate Off-Road Campers and do all the shows around the country that Ultimate attends so if you go to a 4WD or Camping show anywhere in the country and Ultimate is there come say G'day because 95% of the time ill be there and it would be great to meet you.
now looking back at the GQ the mods started pretty quickly and the GU has been the same here is a little list of what is fitted so far.

OME 2" suspension lift, OME shocks, coils & steering damper, (not overly happy with this set up last owner fitted this)
Larger BF Goodrich AT 285/75/16 tyres fitted when purchased will have MTZ 305/75/16 shortly (speedo recalibrated), CSA Magnum alloy rims,
ARB front and rear air lockers changed ratios for larger tyres,
ARB Air Compressor & tyre inflation kit,
ARB sidesteps,
ARB bullbar with XD 9000lb Warne winch,
Kaymar Rear Bar with dual wheel carrier and work light,
Dual batteries and smart switch,
GME UHF CB radio with 6dB & 9dB high gain aerial,
Lightforce factory custom built 70w HID Blitz 240,
HID headlights,
Longranger main tank standard sub tank (total 175 ltr capacity),
Milford cargo barrier,
Obie’s Outback Rear Window Savers,
Protectors for headlamps, driving lights & bonnet,
Safari front mount intercooler,
Safari Tuff H/D clutch,
Marks reduction gears,
Safari snorkel,
Turbo upgrade,
Twine shower (including bullbar stand),
3" mandrel bent exhaust,
Middle East spec tail lights,
Rear dust deflector,
2 fire extinguishers
Extra 12v power outlets front and rear,
12 Pin Trailer Socket
550watt Weaco 240volt inverter
reverse camera
................and a partridge in a pear tree :D

yep just a little list, I sold my track car that I had for 8 years and invested the money into this rig and can say it is my pride and joy, I think the GQ suits me more though.
the mods will continue and the car will be tweaked here and there however they will slow up as the funds have dried up but coming soon will be some MSA seat covers, an alloy roof rack like the ARB but cheaper (as I have a awning off GQ and kaymar shovel/hilift mount to fit) and a drawer system.
I think that's about all I want, but as you know these cars are never done.

anyway I hope to get on here more and meet some of you guys at the shows or on the tracks.
take care, see you soon.

BigRAWesty
25th September 2013, 03:53 PM
Welcome mate, great to see you back. Lucky you have a garage full if TD42's..
But man what a list of mods.. Very impressive rigs.. But where are the pics..
You can't throw lists up like that and no pics.. ;)
Anyway enjoy the site again.
Cheers

Alex gq
25th September 2013, 04:26 PM
just good for a tease lol I will try get some up over the next few days. might get the missus to help she is better with computers than me :1087: gives me an excuse to line them up

threedogs
25th September 2013, 04:44 PM
Welcome back look forward to some pics

Jimbo65
25th September 2013, 06:55 PM
Gidday Alex, I'm a new convert as well. As I have a GU Y61 02 with TD42 non turbo model, was wondering if you could help. Mentioned a little while ago that I had a horrible clutch shudder when taking off in 1st or 2nd & reverse at low revs which I thought could have something to do with the flywheel being out of balance. Took it back y/day to dealers w/shop I bought it from to ask about this issue...apparently this is normal for TD42's???? Don't believe them so will have to get 2nd opinion. Does yours have this problem?
Jimbo.

trekster
25th September 2013, 08:53 PM
G'day and welcome to the best patrol forum around! Make sure to post up some pics of your beast in the members ride section ;)

Members Rides (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?43-Members-Rides)

This thread has alot of useful threads linked
(http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?16195-GC-Index-to-useful-threads)

Some mechanical threads that may be of interest:

Why Diesels Smoke (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?12450-Why-Diesels-Smoke)

Checking and cleaning MAF sensors (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?597-Checking-and-cleaning-MAF-sensors)

NADS discussion (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?5526-Snicko-doing-the-NADS)

Recovery and safety!

Recovery Bible (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?13556-Recovery-Bible)

Towballs are not recovery points (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?5725-Tow-balls-are-not-to-be-used-as-recovery-points)

Recovery: The Fundamentals (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1984-Recovery-The-Fundamentals)

and lastly this should be read and passed on to anyone that is not aware of the fact

Deaths from towballs (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?11239-Deaths-from-towballs)

Last but not least enjoy the forum and everything it has to offer, Don't be afraid to ask questions as we are all here to help each other out!

Cheers,
Eric.

Alex gq
26th September 2013, 01:24 PM
thanks heaps trekster for those links they are very helpful I love the info on this forum but also there seems to be a fair bit of patience and understanding for people that are not technically minded and that's awesome to see.
I was a third year light vehicle apprentice when I put down my tools (turned my hobby into my job, don't do it) and I have seen on forums guys ask simple questions but valid ones and then be "flamed" for it. its nice to see people understanding on this forum that we don't all have a mechanical background.

Now as for jimbo65s question, mate none of mine do it..... now. the missuss ute had the same problem. when we purchased it the vehicle had fitted a mechanics tray with the big side lockers and a centre walk way. her ute has had a GVM increase done, its a leaf rear end model. now I knew by these mods that it had some weight carried in her and by the clutch feel that there was a good chance of some high spots on the flywheel or she was glazed and needed machining, just put up with it as the clutch was still ok.

guess what? 400km out of Longreach in the ute with camper trailer in tow, 3 days into a 2 month gulf/red centre trip the gear box decided to let go hooray for everything! lol
I limped it into Longreach and was halfway through removing the box on the side of the road when I decided it was a workshop job. I organised a local mechanic to finish removing the box while I got a reco box and new clutch overnight out of Rockhampton. (big thanks to Steve from Queensland Patrols)
I asked the guys to call when the box was out and I was right about the flywheel it was glazed up with some heat marks, thankfully it was able to be machined.
got it all back in and the shudder was gone and so was over $5,200 from my bank account, mechanic charged $2,224 to put the gear box in!!!!!. great way to start the holiday but all part of the adventure and what else can you do but laugh.

long story short I would say at a guess either the flywheel or possibly the clutch plate needs attention unless your shudder is from the motor possibly idling to low and labouring badly at low rpm but I would say you would know if it was doing that, either way I hope this helps mate, best of luck

Jimbo65
27th September 2013, 08:59 AM
Cheers Alex for sharing your experience...not the ideal way to start a holiday but as you say all part of the experience. Hope the rest of the trip was a good one. Will put up with it for the time being but definitely something to get seeing to in the near future.

my third 256
29th September 2013, 10:55 AM
hi and welcome to the forum a great mob of people here and a lot of very usefull information
best wishes with your patrolling
stephen