PDA

View Full Version : water proofing petrol engines

dan&tamspatrol
9th May 2012, 07:27 PM
ok so today went thru some bog holes and engine decided to spaz out so wanted to know what people have done to help prevent this ideas and pics would be good cheers
i have 4.5 ltr

Mattonpatrol
9th May 2012, 08:55 PM
Hey their, i also own a Gu 4.5 petrol, i have herd through talk with other owners of petrol 4wds that bye spraying all electrical componets of the engine, e.g altinator etc..... with some sort of spray like WD-40 or fish oil etc, it forms a temporary waterproof layer on those parts, i have not yet pryed it out yet but im sure it works.... and when you say your engine pazed out lol what did it exactly do?

dan&tamspatrol
9th May 2012, 08:58 PM
coughed spluttered lost all power just made it out of the bloody bog hole

Bigrig
9th May 2012, 11:49 PM
coughed spluttered lost all power just made it out of the bloody bog hole

Sounds more like the dizzy got water inside it - will cough and carry on for a minute or so (severe loss of power whilst it does) until it dries out. You can silicon around the base of the dizzy cap to waterproof it, but a bit painful for the next time you want to take it off ... mine does exactly the same thing, and unless I can find an alternative, I'll be going the silicon path myself ...

Silver
10th May 2012, 02:14 AM
what about smearing some grease around the o-ring area?

There is a breather type thing on the top of my TB42 dissie cap - I guess that could be plumbed and the lead taken somewhere higher - I wouldn't even know where the ignition components on a 4.5litre are :-)

The classic is to spray the leads etc with water displacing fluid. I dunno about fish oil - it dries out, and might even conduct electricity a bit. If you want something that persists, I like Inox, and there would be other good ones out there, and maybe even better.

If playing in mud, you need to budget and make plans for starter motors and suspension components, too, I reckon

timbar
10th May 2012, 02:21 AM
what about smearing some grease around the o-ring area?

There is a breather type thing on the top of my TB42 dissie cap - I guess that could be plumbed and the lead taken somewhere higher - I wouldn't even know where the ignition components on a 4.5litre are :-)

The classic is to spray the leads etc with water displacing fluid. I dunno about fish oil - it dries out, and might even conduct electricity a bit. If you want something that persists, I like Inox, and there would be other good ones out there, and maybe even better.

If playing in mud, you need to budget and make plans for starter motors and suspension components, too, I reckon

yes mud and water are definatly motor killers ....but I Love MUD !!!!

Silver
10th May 2012, 02:28 AM
yes mud and water are definatly motor killers ....but I Love MUD !!!!

Well, if that's what ya bought it for, do the best prep you can, clean it up as best you can without pushing stuff further in, and budget for the slightly more frequent repair.

Same as when I take mine to the beach.

No point having it, otherwise, I reckon :-), Note, I am not saying all Patrols have to be taken to the beach or into the mud, or are driven up hard tracks for the tech challenge, and maybe the excitement. I know people have them for a host of other reasons. And I hope they look after them nicely so I can buy one later, second hand :-)

dan&tamspatrol
10th May 2012, 06:10 AM
thanks for the ideas fellas will definitely be doing some of these before i take it swimming again

Winnie
10th May 2012, 06:39 AM
Vaseline instead of silicone.

Tappa tappa

Gas_Guzzler4800
10th May 2012, 07:57 PM
Maybe way over the top, But I have actually seen an old hilux petrol that the owner had drilled a small hole in the distributor base, inserted a clear pipe and pressurized it with a low pressure air pump/compressor. Pretty good idea really

GQUTERUS
10th May 2012, 08:01 PM
Maybe way over the top, But I have actually seen an old hilux petrol that the owner had drilled a small hole in the distributor base, inserted a clear pipe and pressurized it with a low pressure air pump/compressor. Pretty good idea really

That's brilliant!

dan&tamspatrol
10th May 2012, 08:03 PM
its a gr8 idea

dan&tamspatrol
10th May 2012, 08:03 PM
i dont think i could get it to work lol

Gas_Guzzler4800
10th May 2012, 08:08 PM
pretty simple really. 12v aquarium air pump or similar mounted in the cab ( pick a quiet one ) bit of wiring and a switch on the dash. Run the clear hose through the firewall and into the dizzy. Flick the switch on before a big water crossing

dan&tamspatrol
10th May 2012, 08:10 PM
that does sound so hard at all

04OFF
13th May 2012, 08:40 PM
A good idea is to check your snorkel/intake for small leaks, i found a tiny manufacturing hole in the factory platic pipewok on my 4.5L GU.

I fitted a brand new genuine nissan dizzy cap, and brand new leads with long plug boots.

I then used Dielectric grease under all the spark plug lead boots (both ends), and in the critical electrical connectors (TPS,crank angle etc)

Ive completed lots of deep water crossings, some have seen water over the bonnet, i also wash my engine with high pressure water after nearly every 4x4 trip, ive never had so much as a hiccup or miss so far.

Another thing is that your water crossing technique (in perticular speed) can make a huge difference to a succesfull crossing