PDA

View Full Version : suspension stuff 2" lift

luvpsi
8th May 2012, 06:30 PM
has anybody fitted the suspension stuff felxy coils 2" lift kit to there patrol using the suspension stuff shocks. i was considering OME but not sure if i should spend a little less and go suspension stuff

White Elephant
8th May 2012, 06:37 PM
Everyone will have different opinions mate. But generally OME is considered the benchmark. Shane at suspension stuff is very helpful, and won't sell you garbage. So in the end the decision is ultimately yours! Hopefully someone will be along soon to fill you in on the Suspension Stuff kit.

MudRunnerTD
8th May 2012, 07:08 PM
I have OME in the GUIV and SS gear on the GQ. They are for different things.

Ultimately, if you have the $$ and your setting up a Tourer then OME ALL THE WAY. You only want to do it once.

luvpsi
8th May 2012, 07:40 PM
i mainly want it for beach driving and a bit of fun offroad but touring may come into play so i think ome would be best

nissannewby
8th May 2012, 08:23 PM
Yeah OME mate the flexy setup will be well different to the ome

luvpsi
8th May 2012, 08:31 PM
what are peoples thoughts on EFS sorry for the all the questions just the OME is a bit more than i was expecting and with a little one on the way im on a tight budget.

nissannewby
8th May 2012, 08:32 PM
EFS isnt to bad. OME you will pretty much put it in and not have to worry about it for a long time.

luvpsi
8th May 2012, 08:40 PM
i undertsnad all im just getting as much info on all different manufacturers as i can. with the efs i can get it fairly cheap from a mate who works at a 4x4 shop here in perth but they are a dealer for EFS so i was just making sure he is not just trying to sell his product. and i can get it cheaper than the OME gear which the OME is just out of my budget

MudRunnerTD
8th May 2012, 09:39 PM
There is nothing wrong with EFS. If you can get it for a good price you will do fine. Get their high end gear though as they have cheap stuff too. ( unlike OME - only the good gear ;). )

luvpsi
8th May 2012, 09:42 PM
yeah its there elite shocks are they any good as there website says the enforcer is for the price concouis so im assuming thats their cheap stuff?

luvpsi
8th May 2012, 10:37 PM
or would tough dog be a better option as i can get that at a decent price also

megatexture
9th May 2012, 12:26 AM
yea ive got the td bigbore adjustable and i rate them, very comfy handling and great if you can get a deal on them, i run mine on the softest setting and its smoothe as, when i first fitted them i put it on the hardest setting and the misses reckons her ( . )( . ) were gonna get ripped off so theres a setting for everyone

Clunk
9th May 2012, 01:22 AM
Its all horses fo courses mate...... we all have a personal preference as to what we like. As you're already aware there's a ship load of choice, all I can say is don't by cheap carp, that way you'll only need to by once for a long long time

luvpsi
9th May 2012, 07:46 AM
yeah i dont want cheap crap thats why im asking about each choice.

White Elephant
9th May 2012, 03:15 PM
yeah i dont want cheap crap thats why im asking about each choice.

I put a 2 inch lift in my GQ LWB Wagon, Dobinson Springs and TD Foam cell shocks and damper (not ideal for extended driving on corrugated roads, but I hardly ever do that!) and I am very happy with the way the old girl handles. I bought the kit from Suspension Stuff it was around $1200 delivered from memory, this is going back a couple of years now though.

luvpsi
13th May 2012, 10:38 PM
thinking of mixing up a kit for my 2" lift. i have heard great things about the flexi coils but nothing about the shocks so i was thinking of getting the 2" flexi coils for the flex and maybe a set of 2" or 3" iron man shocks or tough dog shocks. what are peoples thoughts as i know the ironman shocks are not bad but their coils always sag and are hard.

Stropp
13th May 2012, 11:37 PM
Yeh I am looking at the suspension stuff flexi coils and td adjustable shocks for mine, just not sure wether to go 2 or 3 inch.

Mojo01
14th May 2012, 12:52 AM
I will put my 20 cents worth in here, when it comes to brakes,tyres and suspension you CAN NOT scrimp on the price, you get what you pay for and since all 3 are the most important for handling and safety $$ just dont come into it. I know that not all of us are blessed with mega bucks, but waiting just a few more weeks to get a safe and reliable vehicle is, as far as I am concerned the most important thing.

Get it right the first time, even if it means waiting

munter
14th May 2012, 01:25 AM
thinking of mixing up a kit for my 2" lift. i have heard great things about the flexi coils but nothing about the shocks so i was thinking of getting the 2" flexi coils for the flex and maybe a set of 2" or 3" iron man shocks or tough dog shocks. what are peoples thoughts as i know the ironman shocks are not bad but their coils always sag and are hard.]

you will only get as much flex as your shocks will give you.

munter
14th May 2012, 01:27 AM
this is my old GQ with a 2in suspension stuff lift and 6in suspension stuff shocks in the rear and 4in in the front (you won't drop a coil on flex coils even with 6in shocks)
I thought the shocks were a good shock and did very well off and on road with great road manners.
I'm very disappointed with Tough dogs on corrugations as the fade and turn to rubbish very fast.

if you want value for $$ a suspension stuff 2in flex coil kit is the way to go

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/felix_001/IMG_0657.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/felix_001/IMG_3916.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/felix_001/IMG_3922.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/felix_001/IMG_3924.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/felix_001/IMG_3927.jpg

nissannewby
14th May 2012, 02:45 AM
Have you modified your bump stops to suit the longer shocks?

munter
14th May 2012, 04:18 AM
with the rear, i render up putting in 80 series bumpstops with mounting plates i got off ebay (bolt in job) done the same to my GU

oh and a put the rear brake line to the front and put a new longer rear brake line in

luvpsi
14th May 2012, 10:44 PM
thanks for that munter i def think suspension stuff is the way to go as i was talkign to shane today and he was saying if im ever unhappy with ride etc he can always revalve them for me etc. would i be better off going 3" shocks with 2" lift or just stick to the 2" coils and 2" shocks

nissannewby
14th May 2012, 10:59 PM
If your going the flexys wont hurt to get the 3" shocks

Aquaman
14th May 2012, 11:10 PM
The whole idea of going to flexi coils is to get the extra flex but as has already been said that is going to depend on the length of the shocks. The guys at suspension stuff will be able to tell you the longest length shocks but from memory i think they were saying that a four inch shock can easily be used with 2 inch flexi coils.

if you are thinking 3 inch flexi then dobinsons do a 3 inch flexi coil.

munter
15th May 2012, 09:55 AM
The whole idea of going to flexi coils is to get the extra flex but as has already been said that is going to depend on the length of the shocks. The guys at suspension stuff will be able to tell you the longest length shocks but from memory i think they were saying that a four inch shock can easily be used with 2 inch flexi coils.

if you are thinking 3 inch flexi then dobinsons do a 3 inch flexi coil.

on suspension stuff flex coils, you can run up to a 6in shock on 2in coils without dropping a coil

and suspension stuff flex coils are a lot different to dobinsons.

Aquaman
15th May 2012, 10:23 AM
suspension stuff flex coils are a lot different to dobinsons.

different how? I mean apart from being a different colour and being 3 inch instead of 2 inch.

munter
15th May 2012, 06:20 PM
suspension stuff coils are made by a different manufacturer. different steel compound.

also SS coils are guaranteed not to sag...

stets
15th May 2012, 06:30 PM
mate head to perth4x4 in balcatta, talk to ash and the boys. they will not steer you wrong and they know thier shite

luvpsi
15th May 2012, 07:08 PM
i have decided on the suspension stuff kit and stets i have been there but they are way over priced like most 4x4 shops

nissannewby
15th May 2012, 07:08 PM
They do all sorts of sizes if requested. Dobinson use to do the flexys for suspension stuff but they are now made by king springs for suspension stuff. Both companys can give you a 2-6" flexy coil. I went down the suspension stuff path as they guranteed them for 2 yrs to not sag where i couldnt get this with the other brand.

Aquaman
15th May 2012, 07:26 PM
good to see that someone will stand behind their products.

Steveo_the_Devo
17th June 2012, 10:33 AM
I put in the 2" flexicoil monotube kit from suspension stuff yesterday.

Initial impressions:
- The ride is fantastic, not too hard and the body roll is spot on.
- It gave me a 3" lift - heavy duty front and rear springs. Wagon was totally unloaded. I expect this will come down once the drawers, fridge and camper are loaded on.
- The springs provide a HUGE amount of articulation. You won't get the front springs in without utilising spring compressors.

Overall the construction of the springs are fantastic. The variable rate looks and drives great.

Only a few downsides, which I'll pass on to the guys at SS tomorrow morning - I think I was one of the first to buy their new 'monotube' shock system.
1) Only 2 new brake lines are supplied with the kit (I have ABS). The theory is that you swap the front passenger side to the front drivers side. However in my model GU, the drivers side brake hose is a 'straight through' type fitting, whereas the passenger side is a 90 degree fitting. So currently my swapped over brake hose is being held in place with a cable tie.
2) On the shock bolt kits supplied some of the nuts are standard nuts - not nylon or star type. I think this is a poor choice and I reused the old nuts where I could or used 2 nuts to lock in place. Also some additional washers were required where there were no originals (e.g. rear shocks lower mounting rear washers)
3) The rubber boot on the rear shocks doesn't actually hold onto the piston at any point. There is a rubber bump stop ring on the piston but the circumference is too small for the rubber boot to hold on to.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with them. I'm going to give them a run on a 7500km trip over the next month or so (including some bulldust and corrugations driving up to Chambers Pillar). Full report on my return.