PDA

View Full Version : need new tyres - looking for something between muddy and all terrain

blackhooded
8th May 2012, 04:59 PM
look for new tyres for my wagon would like something that are nice ish to drive on everyday but will work well in the bush
what do you all have and what do you think

taslucas
8th May 2012, 05:07 PM
Cooper stt's are a good inbetween. They are classified as a mud tyre but last really well on bitumen. Bfg mud terrains and mickey Thompson mtz's are pretty much in the same category but I'd say they have got the edge over Coopers in the mud but both seem to wear quicker on bitumen. Mickey Thompsons ate real slippery on the bitumen once they have worn a bit (in my opinion).

But everyone has different opinions and stories.

Tap, crackle, pop

BillsGU
8th May 2012, 05:08 PM
I am on my third set of Cooper ST tyres. Great alternative as they are more agressive than ATs but not as chunky as muddies. I have got good wear (65,000 km) and they are not too noisey.

Bigrig
8th May 2012, 05:22 PM
I can't recommend highly enough the Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 Rib (make sure it's 4 as they have a 5 also). Great on the black stuff and more than competitive off road against some bigger name muddies.

MudRunnerTD
8th May 2012, 05:33 PM
I can't recommend highly enough the Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 Rib (make sure it's 4 as they have a 5 also). Great on the black stuff and more than competitive off road against some bigger name muddies.

X2, i'd be looking at the 4 or 5 rib. the 5 Rib is a HWY bias type tyre and would suit you really well. you will get great travel on them and nice and smooth and quiet

dibbo
8th May 2012, 08:04 PM
Those new st maxx's by cooper look great a guy at work just put them on his truck considering them myself

megatexture
8th May 2012, 09:51 PM
I am on my third set of Cooper ST tyres. Great alternative as they are more agressive than ATs but not as chunky as muddies. I have got good wear (65,000 km) and they are not too noisey.

x2 on the st's you would have to go the st maxx now but they wear well i got 75,000k on mine on a hilux thats well and truely overloaded every day i couldnt be more happy with them! great handeling even in the wet and not noisy.

Waka
8th May 2012, 10:27 PM
X2, i'd be looking at the 4 or 5 rib. the 5 Rib is a HWY bias type tyre and would suit you really well. you will get great travel on them and nice and smooth and quiet

I get my 4 rib ATZs fitted this Saturday. i'll let you all know how they go.

Waka

Gas_Guzzler4800
9th May 2012, 07:08 AM
I run BFG KM2's and love them, however my mate was after the same thing as you and opted for the Mickey T ATZ's and absolutely loves them. Very aggressive for what they technically class as an AT, yet with good road manners. I am not a fan of the MTZ but would consider the ATZ for my next set of tyres

jh5187
9th May 2012, 11:38 PM
Hey i would recommend the new cooper st maxx as a good option for a tyre a bit more agressive than an atr, the mickey ts at 4 rib is also a good option, the stt a bit too agressive for constant on road use,
any questions on tyres just ask me, i manage a tyre and mechanical store

blackhooded
10th May 2012, 08:55 AM
thank to all how posted it been a help to hear what you have written have to love hearing it first hand

BLKWDW
10th May 2012, 09:22 AM
Is budget a factor at all? Id imagine the coopers and bfgs are at the higher end of the market price wise.

growler2058
10th May 2012, 10:12 AM
Time to chime in I LoVE my Mickey Thompson mtz

Tappin N Crappin

blackhooded
10th May 2012, 12:17 PM
Is budget a factor at all? Id imagine the coopers and bfgs are at the higher end of the market price wise.

a little bit with how well my old ute tyres went i know it a big ish out lay but it a long time till you need to change them so i like to get some thing that work well for what i will do

blackhooded
10th May 2012, 12:22 PM
Hey i would recommend the new cooper st maxx as a good option for a tyre a bit more agressive than an atr, the mickey ts at 4 rib is also a good option, the stt a bit too agressive for constant on road use,
any questions on tyres just ask me, i manage a tyre and mechanical store

thank just see where are you located

bordertech
11th May 2012, 07:48 AM
Am hearing only good reports around the traps so far about the Cooper ST Maxx as an AT/MT as far as on and off road performance goes. I've had ST's, MTZ's, and currently Maxxis Bighorns on my Patrol. Cant say the MTZ's self cleaned as well as others and wear quicker. Got some new STT's to go on as soon as my BigHorns wear out or someone wants to buy them (35's)

Cheers