PDA

View Full Version : Knocking/rattling in the front end.

BLKWDW
8th May 2012, 01:08 PM
Hey all i've recently noticed a knocking/rattling noise in the front of the gq. Its sounds like its coming from the drivers side under the footwell or the door. I've been under it and shaken all the suspension components but nothing moves. You only hear it hitting bumps etc on the rd. If its perfectly flat you hear nothing. I do have a leaking hub seal which i will be replacing once the kit turns up, could it be something inside of there.
I'm gona pull the door skin of as well and see if there is something loose inside the door.

What else should i look for.

TD_Wagon
8th May 2012, 02:53 PM
Loose body mount? There is one right where you are describing

Bigrig
8th May 2012, 03:05 PM
Yep, engine mount would be something to look at also ..

GQPorkroll
8th May 2012, 04:04 PM
I have exactly the same problem on mine. I think mine is coming from where the drivers side radius/control rod mounts to the body. I'm about to fix drop boxes so that should cure it but if I will also have a good check out while i'm up on the hoist

BLKWDW
10th May 2012, 07:13 PM
I looked at the radius arm, body mount, shock mount, engine mount and all are good. If you hit a bump hard enough i swear its hitting me right in the foot.

97_gq_lwb
10th May 2012, 07:24 PM
I occasionally here the body mount under the drivers side somewhere making a noise worse when it is raining for some strange reason.

Mojo01
11th May 2012, 01:07 AM
We came across a similar problem with a mates maverick, we looked for hours with the car on and off of ramps and found nothing, it was not until i was spotting for him when we found out where it was coming from it was a loose side step mount on the chassis that only moved under load

BLKWDW
11th May 2012, 08:23 AM
ok will check those. I only got the crappy alloy ones so i'll remove the altogether.

Alex gq
11th May 2012, 01:05 PM
Hey mate I had the same noise and found if you have lift in your patrol it could be sway bar link it was with mine I put road runner off road longer link pins in which they have to suit different lifts not real expensive. Also if you do alot off road they flog out in the little knuckle that goes to the bar. check by grabbing your link pin and give it a good yank. If it is stuffed dont just remove sway bar its not legal and can be dangerous if you need to swerve in a emergency situation, also I have had swaybar disconnects before in the front but they are an arse to put back in so I removed them. Best of luck mate hope its something cheap and easy for you

Pablo76
11th May 2012, 01:36 PM
Hey Mate, If you dont have any luck with your rubbers and hub, ive had what you described to a tea, i replaced evry rubber in mine and turned out to be the body mount, mine came on braking, and really noticable in low speed turns, car parks etc. Hope this helps.

TimE
11th May 2012, 02:02 PM
You could also look for floor cracks under your feet where the firewall and the floor meet, this can crack causing a 'CLUNK' sound.

4.2trol
23rd May 2012, 11:59 PM
radius arm bushes,panhard bushes etc mine was a mix of loose drop box and bushes once i got under and had a look

bordertech
24th May 2012, 07:56 PM
I occasionally here the body mount under the drivers side somewhere making a noise worse when it is raining for some strange reason.Not strange at all. Mine has always done it when it's wet. Body mounts and all bushes were fine.
Discovered it was the bottom of the coils on the spring perch making the noise but only over bumps when it's wet. Nothing to worry about. Factory coils had thin insulators there originally to stop the knocking.

Cheers

White Elephant
25th May 2012, 04:14 PM
Hey Mate, If you dont have any luck with your rubbers and hub, ive had what you described to a tea, i replaced evry rubber in mine and turned out to be the body mount, mine came on braking, and really noticable in low speed turns, car parks etc. Hope this helps.

This is exactly the symptoms mine has atm, I'm doing the body mounts this weekend so I'll let you all know if it fixes the problem!

PS. I had the pittman arm bushes, swaybar bushes and rod ends replaced a few weeks ago and it didn't stop the noise.

White Elephant
25th May 2012, 04:16 PM
Not strange at all. Mine has always done it when it's wet. Body mounts and all bushes were fine.
Discovered it was the bottom of the coils on the spring perch making the noise but only over bumps when it's wet. Nothing to worry about. Factory coils had thin insulators there originally to stop the knocking.

Cheers

I had also thought of this! So if the body mounts don't stop the noise, I'm going to try some 3-5mm insertion rubber under the coils.