PDA

View Full Version : Noise through gear selector

Kai
8th May 2012, 09:35 AM
Hey guys.

My '90 4.2 turbo diesel gq has just started, or I have just noticed. A noise
Coming from the gear selector level.
It sounds a bit like a rattle. Doesn't sound like a grinding noise but it could be.

I have only noticed it for the last couple of days, I've only had the vehicle for
2 weeks though. So it may have been there before or it may be new.

So if anyone has had or does have a similar noise or someone
Has an idea of what it may be. I'm keen to hear your input.

The only history I can provide is a week and a half ago I went offroad. There was mud. So that could be a factor. And I have greased the driveline only a few days ago. Other than that I haven't touched the driveline.

Looking forward to any insight. Let know if you need any other information.
Sound is present in most gears and mainly noticeable in 3rd to 5th in 5th gear is when the noise is just loud enough to be annoying

White Elephant
8th May 2012, 04:30 PM
Hey mate,

I would suggest dropping the gearbox and transfer case oils and changing them, make sure there are no substantial metal filings/pieces in the waste fluid. That will tell you if there are any major issues inside the box.

the godfather
9th May 2012, 12:46 AM
3rd through to 5th is on a separate part of the main shaft to 1st and second. The syncros have locking lugs on one half, if this has broken then that cluster will rattle around. The lugs are on a spring clip that keeps the tension on the syncros. Then again, could just be a loose shifter and worn out rubber grommet around it. I suggest you pull the selector out and check around it, and as White Elephant said, drain the oils and check for metals. Good luck, hope its the selector and not internal.

Kai
9th May 2012, 08:14 AM
Thanks guys, will be changing fluids soon. As well as all other regular servicing so
I know that everything is fresh. @ godfather. If it was 3rd through 5th synchros. Would I expect
It to be harder to shift into these gears.
Gearbox changes smoothly. Except 2nd which can be tight to go into on a cold morning.
So hopefully it is something minor.
I payed close attention on the way to work this morning and it wasn't as noticeable.
I will keep an ear on it for now. Maybe I was just a bit to cautious :)

Also, I did check under shifter boots, nothing out of place.
Thanks though guys.