PDA

View Full Version : Manual v Auto - 2012 Patrol GU8

jack
6th May 2012, 11:41 AM
Hello All,

On the market for a new GU8 and the Simpson 50th Anniversary (with some mods) is looking a likely candidate.
My biggest issue (other than cost) is whether to get a manual or an automatic. I知 happy to go with a manual but my better half prefers an auto.
I知 after your thoughts on the pros and cons for either option. I know the towing limitation but after some feedback on fuel consumption, servicing, reliability etc. Also how does the auto perform against the manual in some real off roading?
For example gunshot up in the Cape, would you take an auto or a manual?
As I知 new with all this I壇 really appreciate some advice.

Cheers
Apollofish

MudRunnerTD
6th May 2012, 02:27 PM
Go the Auto mate, your wife will thank you and it will do everything you want. It's a bit of a myth about the Manual being better. I have a heap of friends that have converted to Auto and would never go back. Much easier to drive when the going gets tough and if you really want to then you have Triptronic and drive it like a manual.

Auto for sure

Airstrike
6th May 2012, 02:41 PM
Manual is tough but I would go auto.

Maxhead
6th May 2012, 02:53 PM
I would go the auto as well mate, they're unreal in all situations specially in 4x4. I love them
The only reason I sold my auto for a manual was due to towing weight limitation.

dan&tamspatrol
6th May 2012, 02:54 PM
ive got auto and i love it its good offroad to

fishnsurf
6th May 2012, 04:36 PM
auto for me..... i just converted a mate from manual to auto his first trip up the beach last weekend and he is hooked

maxblack
6th May 2012, 07:56 PM
A U T O.....I never want to press a clutch pedal again! :)

Bigrig
6th May 2012, 08:57 PM
Yep, another for Auto ...

04OFF
6th May 2012, 09:10 PM
Auto is perfect for a "all-rounder" use vehicle

jack
6th May 2012, 09:31 PM
Thanks all, looks like it's an Auto.
Now to haggle the dealer into a steel bull bar and towbar instead of the alloy bull bar that comes with the Simpson Anniversary pack. The steel bull bar is much cheaper but they seem reluctant to negotiate.
I'll keep you posted on how I go.

Cheers
Apollofish

patrol2.8
6th May 2012, 10:02 PM
I have all ways been a manual man but recently did an outback run with the finace department and after covering just on 12000 ks and having to drive every single one of them as she doesnt drive a manual i would go the auto as well Would convert the one ive got but the 2.8s dont have an auto option

Rusty86
7th May 2012, 07:46 AM
I'd recommend Auto, as mentioned you can drive it like a manual if you want/need to, best of both worlds!

jack
11th May 2012, 11:49 PM
Greetings,

Thanks to all who responded, it was unanimous, it’s definitely an AUTO. The wife will be pleased and you know what they say about a happy wife.
New Simpson Anniversary Patrol has been ordered and I’m looking at options for the big round Australia trip next year.
Really enjoyed reading the forum and have so far learned heaps, most importantly:
Towballs used for recoveries, can and do kill people and damage property
Get ready for more requests for your invaluable advice or information, hope I don’t make a pest of myself. ;-)

Cheers
Apollofish

mudski
11th May 2012, 11:55 PM
Aww I fell left out. I just bought a manual...

Clunk
12th May 2012, 12:09 AM
Congrats on the purchase Apollofish..... don't forget to get some piccies up on here when the new toy arrives

Oh and I,m a big fan of the auto as well, great for some of the tricky stuff off road and no more stuffed left knee and shoulder lol

tempestv8
13th May 2012, 10:02 PM
Aww I fell left out. I just bought a manual...

The state of engine tune for the manual is a bit higher than the auto, so you'll get to enjoy a more spritely engine. So there is some benefit in going to the manual and you can legally tow more weight.

jack
17th May 2012, 02:38 PM
Car arrives on 8th June, can't wait...
Been pricing add ons at ARB and Opposite Lock - didn't think it was possible but found something more expensive than Scuba Diving