PDA

View Full Version : Is 'running-in' necessary?????

big daddy
6th May 2012, 11:33 AM
G'day guys,

I'm on a 4-month 'grey nomad' caravanning trip up through the centre to Darwin, across to the West then down to Perth and home to Newcastle.

Unfortunately, I blew a motor 50 miles out of Alice Springs and now I'm waiting for an exchange reco engine from Adelaide.

(This was only 5000ks after I shelled out $1500 to have a coolant leak repaired before we left home.)

I've heard different stories and I'm in a dilemma.................................

Some so-called 'experts' say that I should 'run-in' the motor over some 1500ks before hitching the van on and continuing on my trip.

Others say that its ok to just take off and really work the engine - it'll be 'good' for it.

I've been here in Alice for over a week now and should have a replacement motor fitted at the end of next week.

So, what's the general school of thought??????

Can I have arguments/comments supporting either way please.................

I'd really appreciate constructive replies I'll have plenty of time to mull them over.

My vehicle is a 2003 3lt turbo diesel automatic Patrol.

Many thanks,

Big Daddy

dan&tamspatrol
6th May 2012, 11:37 AM
i know when i worked as a mechanic for a little bit i was told that the new cars needed to been run in before u could get up them so i guess wud be same for towing as it puts strain on the motor

Robo
6th May 2012, 01:04 PM
Towing a van involves putting you foot down alot more than normal.
So if the new parts especially the rings and bearing have not had a chance to bed in, then I would err on the side caution.
Engine will suffer blow by no doubt
Another way of looking at it.
Hang around for a week longer do some k's to run in.
This way if something should go wrong you are still near the work shop that did the work.

I would also hazard a guess, any warranty may to would be null and void if not run in at least before towing.
Good idea to have a follow up check before you head off to insure every thing is as it should be before you leave.
No leaks any where , bolts missing, loose bolts etc.
Also the Missus is not going to be happy if it goes pear shaped 500k from nearest town.
Cheers

dan&tamspatrol
6th May 2012, 01:22 PM
one more thing i was told the run in period was 1000-1500 kms

Silver
6th May 2012, 05:24 PM
I gather that running in has become less important as engine design and manufacture improves.

If I were in your shoes, I'd use the new engine as an excuse to go for a run without the 'van, and spend a night or two in motel accomodation somewhere nice. Out there it would be pretty easy to do 1500ks - although fuel of course ain't getting any cheaper :-(

Lewy
6th May 2012, 05:51 PM
How many KM did the motor have on it when it blew? If you have to tow the van right a way then Id just take it REALLY easy.. Towing a heavy Van behind a early ZD30 will likely never end well...

Lewy

dan&tamspatrol
6th May 2012, 06:07 PM
I gather that running in has become less important as engine design and manufacture improves.

If I were in your shoes, I'd use the new engine as an excuse to go for a run without the 'van, and spend a night or two in motel accomodation somewhere nice. Out there it would be pretty easy to do 1500ks - although fuel of course ain't getting any cheaper :-(
was only 3 yrs ao or so when i was told about the running in period so gather still important not to much would have changed since then you would think

johno90
8th May 2012, 08:06 PM
Just to clarify is it a new motor from nissan? used motor? or rebuilt motor? new motor from nissan just bolt it in and drive no running in same with the used one, All motors are factory run in these days. if its been rebuilt and not run in, go find a big hill and low revs huh load climbs, beds the rings in correctly.

nissannewby
8th May 2012, 08:18 PM
load is the best way to bed everything in. I would just drop the oil after 500 and change the filters and she should be right.

BearGUST
8th May 2012, 08:49 PM
I've been working with new cars for the last 15 years and I don't think running in as per the old school procedures is necessary. I'm a firm believer in giving a new engine plenty of stick, but under full load with a van at constant speeds isn't something I'd be doing.

Towing a heavy Van behind a early ZD30 will likely never end well...

Lewy

That's just garbage, I know so many people that tow vans with early (and late) ZD30's and love them.

nissannewby
9th May 2012, 12:38 PM
As johno90 stated most new cars a bedded from factory these days. Alls they do is load the motor up for a preiod after getting it to operating temp to ensure all rings etc bed correctly. No load on a new engine will lead to polishing bores and oil usage. Dont go to the extremes of loading it up but somewhere the load can remain constant. ( you should still be able to accelerate if need be and not lose any speed if your doing this up a slight incline for eg.)

bordertech
9th May 2012, 10:49 PM
Driving a new or recond motor at a constant speed (eg on a highway whether towing or not) isn't good for the initial run in. It should be put through various speeds and loads like the others have suggested. That probably doesn't help you as you're half way through a long trip on highways.