PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter change on td42

monkton
6th May 2012, 08:33 AM
Hi there all,

Was planning to change the diesel fuel filter on the gq yesterday for the first time (by me), but nothing goes to plan.... Gregory's instructions go something like this:

Drain fuel from filter
Disconnect wiring from bottom of filter
Remove water trap
Unscrew filter
Instal new filter and re-fit water trap
Bleed.

So, couple of questions on this:

1) Draining the filter: When I try to drain the filter using the tap on the bottom, only a tiny trickle came out (less than 5ml). I guess about 300ml should come out judging by the cavity of the new filter. Should I just unscrew the whole filter with the water trap still attached, and have lots of cloths beneath to catch the fuel? I can then disassemble on the bench and clean.

2) Bleeding: When I eventually get to bleed the system after putting the new filter in, I can't see a bleed screw which Gregory talks about. I read on a previous thread that you just pump the primer until resistance is felt. How does the air get out tho or does this not matter?

Its a black top td42, with the fuel filter on driver's side of engine compartment.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

AB
6th May 2012, 08:42 AM
1) I don't drain the filter mate. Take the hoses off, disconnect the wire take it off and put it over a bucket and remove the water trap and drain fuel out. Re install the filter and top housing upside down on the mount to easily remove the filter from the housing afterwards.

2) There should be a little plastic hand screw on the top housing of the filter. unscrew it a couple of times, pump the primer, you will hear air come out, when fuel starts coming out then close it up and keep priming until the plunger goes stiff and you should be good to go.

monkton
6th May 2012, 08:55 AM
Thanks AB, that way sounds a lot easier, and less messy! Will give it a go.

Richo460
8th May 2012, 04:28 AM
i did mine the other day too, i just disconnected the wiring, unscrewed the filter then over a bucket took the water trap off and swapped it to the new one and screwed it back on, cracked the little white platic hand bleed screww and pumped away till fuel came out, tightened it, kept priming till it went hard, and away she went. I am just hoping that it cures the problem i have had a few times where the injector pump seems to starve for fuel.

oilpond
22nd October 2012, 08:43 PM
I changed my filters today but now the old diesel 4.2 drops the revs right down and seems to labour at idle?

AB
22nd October 2012, 08:46 PM
Sounds like its starving of fuel if it only happened after the filter change.

What brand/type of filter did you use?

MudRunnerTD
22nd October 2012, 08:55 PM
There is another blind fuel filter at the pump. Many people have never changed it but well worth it, I hear that if it is blocked up and you remove and replace you can unleash significant gains in power.

It is a small gauze thimble in the front banjo bolt on the front side top of the pump. I will come back here with some good pics from other forums when I get on my computer later.

I have some fuel issues with my GUIV right now that might see me have to get my pump rebuilt damn it. I have gone looking for this gauze tryin to solve my problem but alas it has been removed from mine already.

Watch this space later tonight

oilpond
22nd October 2012, 09:50 PM
I bought a full filter kit from sydneyfilters on ebay for 80 bux and the two cooper wz115 oil filters were a full inch shorter than the others and the max series fuel filter wz332nm was shorter aswell?

MudRunnerTD
22nd October 2012, 10:48 PM
This is a TD42 Pump in a GQ
Gauze Filter can be found about 20mm under the level of the bolt head.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h76/currentlyoffline/fuelpumppic2.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h35/fnqcairns/injpumpfilter.jpg

Nissan Part Number is 14371-R8025A
Bosch Part Number is 14612501016N1

This is from a thread I posted in on outerlimits and was for my GQ, but should be the same on a GU

This "thimble" filter is only about 3-4mm in diameter.
Clean up around the top of the injector pump
Looking straight down from above.
The banjo fitting on the inlet section of the pump is the one that is closest to the front of the engine and has a steel fuel line which runs to it via the gap between the back of the pump and the block. The line that feeds the fitting runs between the pump and the block.
Undo this bolt, and remove it.
There should be enough movement in the banjo fitting to push it clear of the hole it feeds beneath the fitting, or you can just work through the hole in the fitting the bolt came out of (harder).
I have a set of Snap-on dental picks I use for this (I check it every service) but a length of small diameter, stiff wire, with the last 2-3mm bent at right angles should do the same job, or a piece of the stainless backing strip you get when you change your wiper blades is good too ( I save everything)
Now feel down inside the pump, about 15-20mm deep, and try to hook the filter out. It is a stainless gauze filter (approx 3mm deep, 3-4 mm in dia), with a brass ring around the top edge.
Note;I have heard stories that some patrols do not have this filter, but between me and my mates in total we have had 6 TD42's from 89-06, and all of them had this filter.
Clean it out with compressed air and replace it.

I found this very Helpful.

Cheers MR

nissannewby
22nd October 2012, 10:53 PM
I have had to clean this out a few times on my GQ easy job. I would rather have it there than remove it due to the fact it still catches crap that if it wasnt there would go into the pump. Injector pumps are very sensitive bits of gear.

nissannewby
22nd October 2012, 10:54 PM
I changed my filters today but now the old diesel 4.2 drops the revs right down and seems to labour at idle?

You did bleed it right up yeah?

MudRunnerTD
22nd October 2012, 10:57 PM
I have had to clean this out a few times on my GQ easy job. I would rather have it there than remove it due to the fact it still catches crap that if it wasnt there would go into the pump. Injector pumps are very sensitive bits of gear.

Yeah i cracked mine on the weekend looking for this and it is not there and i think my Pump is knackered damn it! during my investigation i read about this so thought i'd post for all to see.

My pump crapped itself on the Madigan trip but we limped home and i continue to limp now. When i went problem solving on the track i found a fair bit of crap in the fuel filter that was less than 10,000km old and i now think that some of that went into the pump because that filter is missing

MudRunnerTD
22nd October 2012, 10:59 PM
here is another post from another forum about it

When our GQ started to run rough – we were left scratching our heads. The main fuel filter was fine. The fault was eventually traced to a tiny thimble sized fuel filter we never knew existed. When we approached our local Nissan service centre – they did not even know the filter existed and it took a lot of searching to locate the part. (Nissan Part Number 14371-R8025A approx cost $30)

http://www.4wdaus.com/images/stories/td42%20fuel%20inlet%20filter.jpg

To Fit – Firstly remove the tiny thimble size filter. This is achieved by unscrewing the front banjo fitting on the injector pump. I then made a paper clip into a small fish hook and inserted it about 1 inch (25mm) into the injector pump and pulled it straight up – your filter should be on the hook. Replacing this small filter has given the old patrol a new life.

http://www.4wdaus.com/images/stories/td42%20injector%20pump%20a.jpg

oilpond
22nd October 2012, 11:00 PM
Thanks mudrunner! i might have had some crap go thru into that today as the bottom of my filter,that is the bleeder part that screw off was pretty filthy...

oilpond
22nd October 2012, 11:05 PM
You did bleed it right up yeah?

um no:/i pumped it a bunch and then started it and it ran and then mellowed out and i held at 1500 and it came good but(ive never done much with diesels sept check em before work:?) It should come good with a stretch you think? as i havent driven it yet just held on a couple a grand for a few minutes and then the revvs wanted to drop down again...

MudRunnerTD
22nd October 2012, 11:21 PM
um no:/i pumped it a bunch and then started it and it ran and then mellowed out and i held at 1500 and it came good but(ive never done much with diesels sept check em before work:?) It should come good with a stretch you think? as i havent driven it yet just held on a couple a grand for a few minutes and then the revvs wanted to drop down again...

Use the hand pump and prime it until it is hard! this could take 5 to 150 pumps ;) Just keep doing it until its hard then take it for a drive. Hopefully you have not got an airlock in your line. Newby will correct me if im wrong but i think that should see you right.

oilpond
22nd October 2012, 11:31 PM
Use the hand pump and prime it until it is hard! this could take 5 to 150 pumps ;) Just keep doing it until its hard then take it for a drive. Hopefully you have not got an airlock in your line. Newby will correct me if im wrong but i think that should see you right.
Eeek an air lock doesnt sound good! Ipumped it about thirty times only and thought it would do the rest itself(dickhead) i will pump pump pump in the morning :( thanks very much mudrunner!

oilpond
23rd October 2012, 11:54 AM
Yes the problem was air,lots of air! and a big fat dumass<<<<<:(Thanks to those that replied!!!!

nissannewby
23rd October 2012, 12:47 PM
I find it bleeds up quicker if you take the line of the output side of the filter. Pump it til there is a good amount of diesel coming out and reconnect line. Once the line is back on generally it will only take 1 or 2 pumps for the pump to hard doing it this way.

oilpond
23rd October 2012, 01:15 PM
I loosened the bleeder screw on the pump and primed and primed and then the bleeder screw on the filter and pumped some more...Should have done it the other way maybe but am stoked as it runs hard now and blows zero smoke:)

SKID
21st October 2015, 04:11 PM
I know this is an old post sorry, I have read many places about "the tiny thimble size filter" Just replaced my filter and added a water separator type one with a glass bowl as a pre filter to the standard one, I have been experiencing when I really give it berries up a hill from around the 2K-3K rev mark it hesitates as though it is starving of fuel, But if I rev it when I'm parked, it revs out well up to the 4K mark with no hesitation. I followed the instructions here today to try and get the "the tiny thimble size filter" out but it appears there isn't one in there as I can poke a bit of wire about 2-3 inches down the hole. I've only owned the truck for two months, it was originally a 200 GU 3Ltr but when the guy blew the motor up he put a 1990 silver top in. When I was getting the air con re-gassed 2 weeks ago the guy made comment that the injector pump looks new, I've read that some of the later model cars don't have that tiny filter, if the pump is in fact new could it be a case of if or when it was reco'd that they never put the tiny filter in? Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

SKID
22nd October 2015, 07:32 AM
I already had the feeling of fuel starvation before I added the other filter and replaced the existing one, putting the foot down I was lucky to get 3000RPM out of her
After the initial priming of the fuel and the hand pump is hard I know with in a short time after driving to say the shop and back that I can usually get a further 5 or so pumps before it goes hard again, is this normal?