PDA

View Full Version : auto freewheel hubs

Tasgu
5th May 2012, 11:25 PM
my rh side hub seems to be locked in, then whilst driving trys to disengage. Has anyone had this drama before?

MudRunnerTD
6th May 2012, 12:07 AM
How do you know it's locked in? what are the symptoms and what do you hear or feel to think that it is disengaging?

dan&tamspatrol
6th May 2012, 08:10 AM
mate mines the same cant get it unstuck so im just going to replace both with manual locking hubs

Ade
6th May 2012, 10:39 AM
On my auto hub, sometimes I have to reverse a bit to disengage the hub. I will ensure theres are clicking sound with a light throttle first from the hubs every time engaging or disengaging them.

patrol2.8
6th May 2012, 10:11 PM
I had the opposite problem where mine would try to lock in at highway speeds would get a rattle noise from the wheels then have to try and wipe off speed asap as they would go in with a hell of a bang changed to manual hubs that way you never have to worry

Ade
6th May 2012, 10:17 PM
Yup, me think manual hub are robust. Will change to manual if I broke the auto, but so far they're all good

munter
8th May 2012, 07:34 PM
mine locked in and all you would hear is a ratchet sound which was quite bad.

one would lock and the other axel would spin backward (cause of the diff centre)

when i pull off the auto hub, the guts came out in 3 pieces :)

i went to brand new gen nissan free wheeling hubs.... never looked back!!

WillO
11th May 2012, 10:56 PM
I had the opposite problem where mine would try to lock in at highway speeds would get a rattle noise from the wheels then have to try and wipe off speed asap as they would go in with a hell of a bang changed to manual hubs that way you never have to worry

I've just begun experiencing these same symptoms - I was assuming it was the hub, getting it checked out tomorrow. Is it a big/difficult job to change the auto hubs out with manual hubs?

patrol2.8
13th May 2012, 02:40 PM
Willo its a very simple job to convert them over just follow the instructions in the manual or if you buy after market one there will be fitting instructions in the box also just out of curiosity do you happen to run a mechanical lokka ?