PDA

View Full Version : GQ 4.2 EFI with gas airbox options, snorkel and Gas mechanic recommendation in Newi

Dawso
4th May 2012, 11:24 AM
Hi Everyone,
I have a GQ TB4.2 with EFI, the current set up is a K&N airfilter exposed in the engine bay so i am thinking about getting one of these http://www.precisionalloy.com.au/gallery/4wd%2Bproducts/gq-patrol-efi-airbox/46411 airboxes (not cheap but there's not many other options) and then the plan is to hook up the snorkel.

My questions are:-
Does any one know of a good Gas Mechanic in or near Newcastle to fit a "bypass pipe" as my current gas guy just said it's not possible to have a snorkel with gas.

And if I do go with this alloy airbox where would I get the pipe to connect it to the snorkel

does any one know what type of gas system I have? (can put up more pics if needed)

can any one point out where the bypass pipe does go from - to?

Thank you for any assistance.

ps. if any one has a GQ steel winch compatible bull bar they want to sell please PM me.

97_gq_lwb
4th May 2012, 12:47 PM
Looks like an airod gas system to me.
you should be able to remove that alloy bit from the inner gaurd and just run a hose straight through.
I fitted a zd30 gu airbox to mine heres a link with pics to give you an idea.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8550-Yet-another-Diy-turbo-kit-td42/page2

In the pic you can see the lip is still on the airbox where it goes through the inner gaurd i removed it and fitted a 3.5 to 3 inch silicon joiner straight up to the safari snorkel.
I believe supercheapauto is now selling silicon joiners might be worth checking out for your pipework etc.

taslucas
4th May 2012, 01:12 PM
I have a 4.2 carby with lpg and a snorkel. It runs fine without a by pass pipe but it my be different with efi? The previous owner fitted a hilux cylinder type filter behind the pas side headlight.

Tap, crackle, pop

dan&tamspatrol
4th May 2012, 06:54 PM
i have 4.5 efi just recently fitted a snorkel and she loves it havent needed to turn it backwards either so dont know what your gas fella is on about mate

97_gq_lwb
4th May 2012, 07:26 PM
I have seen it before where with lpg where the forced air is enough to cause backfires missing etc nothing retuning the mixtures won't fix though .